Does the pixel 2xl feel flat in hand and good? In comparison to s8 s9 curve screen? Not really a fan of curved screens also I don't think the Samsung onscreen home key etc is responsive. I want people's opinions that have experience of what I'm asking about so I can get an idea.
    04-26-2018 11:16 AM
    Its definitely a curved screen with occasional side screen touch issues, not as extreme as Samsung however, I prefer a flat screen for many reasons
    Eggmundo likes this.
    04-26-2018 11:49 AM
    Got the S9+ for the wife and regret it. The curved edge is just a gimmick. Don't see and benefit from it. The texts and the image at the edges are distorted. And she hates the Bixby button.
    Eggmundo likes this.
    04-26-2018 02:18 PM
    Its definitely a curved screen with occasional side screen touch issues, not as extreme as Samsung however, I prefer a flat screen for many reasons
    The Pixel glass is curved, not the screen.
    Not sure why you are experiencing side touch issues.
    04-26-2018 02:35 PM
    Does the pixel 2xl feel flat in hand and good? In comparison to s8 s9 curve screen? Not really a fan of curved screens also I don't think the Samsung onscreen home key etc is responsive. I want people's opinions that have experience of what I'm asking about so I can get an idea.
    I recommend you take a look at it in person somewhere if possible.
    04-26-2018 02:36 PM
    The Pixel glass is curved, not the screen.
    Not sure why you are experiencing side touch issues.
    This ^^^^ . The screen only curves for aesthetics, but the usable screen is flat and thus the picture on the screen is flat not curved.
    04-26-2018 07:11 PM
    I hate the curved screen on my Note 8. I can't get a full edge to edge protective case or cheap, good tempered glass screen protector. Is the pixel 2 xl the same?
    04-27-2018 06:36 PM
    I hate the curved screen on my Note 8. I can't get a full edge to edge protective case or cheap, good tempered glass screen protector. Is the pixel 2 xl the same?
    Slightly curved glass....cases are not a problem.
    04-27-2018 06:58 PM
    I guess the difference is the Note screen is active across the curve so it has to be touch accessible.
    04-27-2018 08:37 PM
    It's a slight curve. Nothing like a Samsung.
    04-27-2018 09:25 PM
    We have both phones. Like everyone said, the Pixel's screen is slightly curved and less than the S9+. As far as accidental touches and text and images that are distorted, I've seen none of that and the S9+ is my phone.
    Bixby button: There is an app called Bixby Button Remapper. It lets you choose from different apps to launch from the Bixby Button. I launch Google Assistant from it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orks.bxactions
    04-30-2018 09:36 PM
    Can anyone tell me if it feels nice in hands?
    05-01-2018 06:21 PM
    Yes, it does!
    05-01-2018 06:32 PM
    I guess 'nice' is subjective depending on what your expectations are.

Does it feel like an $800+ high end smartphone? Not to me it doesn't. The Galaxy, iPhone, HTC, Huawei etc all feel better to me because they feel like metal or glass, have a nice heft to them and feel like precision engineered pieces of equipment. When I held the iPhone X, it felt like a $1000 phone. When I held the Galaxy S9, it also feels like a $1000 phone. The Pixel 2 to me feels like a mid-range phone.

The main reason for this is because the Pixel 2 feels like plastic to me, thanks to the coating Google decided to go with on the device. The phone is a metal body with a plastic-feeling painted coating, which to me cheapens the feel of the device and it provides marginal-to-no functional benefit. I've been told the black model feels grippy and maybe that's so, but the black & white one feels slippery - no grip on the white coating.

Does it feel bad? No I wouldn't go that far. It just doesn't feel 'nice' to me. Not in a way that a high-end flagship costing $800+ should feel. If it costs that much, then I expect it to look and feel absolutely premium, as other phones in that price range do. There are phones much cheaper than the Pixel 2 which feel better in the hand imo.

Again, all subjective. You may love the feel - go to a store and check one out to see what you think.
    05-02-2018 08:13 AM
    I guess 'nice' is subjective depending on what your expectations are.

Does it feel like an $800+ high end smartphone? Not to me it doesn't. The Galaxy, iPhone, HTC, Huawei etc all feel better to me because they feel like metal or glass, have a nice heft to them and feel like precision engineered pieces of equipment. When I held the iPhone X, it felt like a $1000 phone. When I held the Galaxy S9, it also feels like a $1000 phone. The Pixel 2 to me feels like a mid-range phone.

The main reason for this is because the Pixel 2 feels like plastic to me, thanks to the coating Google decided to go with on the device. The phone is a metal body with a plastic-feeling painted coating, which to me cheapens the feel of the device and it provides marginal-to-no functional benefit. I've been told the black model feels grippy and maybe that's so, but the black & white one feels slippery - no grip on the white coating.

Does it feel bad? No I wouldn't go that far. It just doesn't feel 'nice' to me. Not in a way that a high-end flagship costing $800+ should feel. If it costs that much, then I expect it to look and feel absolutely premium, as other phones in that price range do. There are phones much cheaper than the Pixel 2 which feel better in the hand imo.

Again, all subjective. You may love the feel - go to a store and check one out to see what you think.
    I think we can agree that feel is subjective but to say that glass or metal makes it feel like precision engineering is pretty baseless. Especially glass.....while it pretty when clean, glass doesn't add any value. Precision engineering can be measured but not with human hands.
    05-02-2018 08:33 AM
    Give me a light textured grip over heavier slippery glass any day.
    05-02-2018 12:36 PM
    I think we can agree that feel is subjective but to say that glass or metal makes it feel like precision engineering is pretty baseless. Especially glass.....while it pretty when clean, glass doesn't add any value. Precision engineering can be measured but not with human hands.
    Glass allows for wireless charging whereas metal doesn't, so it does have a practical advantage.

Also glass/metal feels much better to me than metal with a plastic coating. I don't like the coating on the Pixel 2 at all. Even worse that thr coating is easier to chip and scratch than glass.

I mean the Pixel 2 to me doesn't feel like a high end flagship at all and when compared to all the other high-end phones, I find the design and feel quite disappointing. The phone is like an A for software but a C for hardware.

Give me a light textured grip over heavier slippery glass any day.
    The black and white Pixel 2 XL isn't textured. It's completely smooth and very slippery.
    05-02-2018 04:32 PM
    Glass allows for wireless charging whereas metal doesn't, so it does have a practical advantage.

Also glass/metal feels much better to me than metal with a plastic coating. I don't like the coating on the Pixel 2 at all. Even worse that thr coating is easier to chip and scratch than glass.

I mean the Pixel 2 to me doesn't feel like a high end flagship at all and when compared to all the other high-end phones, I find the design and feel quite disappointing. The phone is like an A for software but a C for hardware.

The black and white Pixel 2 XL isn't textured. It's completely smooth and very slippery.
    We've already established that we don't need glass for wireless charging so it's not a practical advantage. We all know that most people with glass phones put it in a case.
    In fact if the Pixel 3 is all glass I might avoid it
    05-02-2018 04:55 PM
    We've already established that we don't need glass for wireless charging so it's not a practical advantage. We all know that most people with glass phones put it in a case.
    In fact if the Pixel 3 is all glass I might avoid it
    Which metal-bodied phones have wireless charging?

People put phones in cases regardless of the materials the phone is made with, doesn't have to be glass phones.
    05-02-2018 06:58 PM

I have a "Just Black" Pixel 2 XL and compare it to a family members glass iPhone. (She's already cracked it twice.)
    05-02-2018 07:31 PM
    Which metal-bodied phones have wireless charging?

People put phones in cases regardless of the materials the phone is made with, doesn't have to be glass phones.
    I didnt say metal...there are other materials besides glass and metal
    05-02-2018 09:02 PM