Android P Public Beta -- Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
On the fence about trying the beta.....I have read all the replies......but is it worth it to try it?
I would say if you are curious and want to see but can also live with things possibly breaking.
Pretty much what he said, if you are curious and want to try something new that may or may not work, give it a shot. If you want things to work and be stable, I'd stick with Oreo.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I would say if you are curious and want to see but can also live with things possibly breaking.
I am curious for sure....I guess my main concern is....will it casue my phone to brick and not work at all? This is my daily driver and cant afford to have my phone lock up. If that isn't a risk, then I will try it I think.

ktsui87

May 9, 2018
Visit site
I am curious for sure....I guess my main concern is....will it casue my phone to brick and not work at all? This is my daily driver and cant afford to have my phone lock up. If that isn't a risk, then I will try it I think.

Just know, if you install the beta and want to switch back to Oreo, you will have to wipe your phone in order to remove the beta software.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Just know, if you install the beta and want to switch back to Oreo, you will have to wipe your phone in order to remove the beta software.
Yea, that I'm aware of and ok with. I just don't want my phone to stop working.....can't afford that at the moment.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also I have backed up all my data, and everything is updated as of today.

Seems like your ready make the jump
I think worse case some apps might give problems or unusual battery drain but so far it's been a good first beta which is rare

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
your phone isn't going to stop working. the worst that will happen is that apps might crash, you might see some bugs...but honestly, there isn't a lot of risk really.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Bitten the bullet. Wanted to wait till Friday but I just had to give it a go. I am just a beta junkie.... Wish me luck. Downloading as I type...

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Something I don't like is that they removed the ability to open the clock app and set alarms from the notification area. Hopefully this is something they reintroduce in a later build.

Also, have we always had the option to change the shape of our icons with Pixel Launcher? Never noticed it before now. I have an OG Pixel XL and also a Pixel 2 XL both running P now and the option to change icon shape is present on the Pixel 2 but not the OG. Maybe this is just something I missed?

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
yeah, I like this, feels fresh. some bits take a few attempts to remember but liking that single home key. back button appears on yandex launcher too

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The clear all is counterproductive to the resource management system that Android places at the center of its battery conservation and software regency strategies.
Thanks. While that may all be true, when I'm working I only want the three or four apps that I use most often to be in memory so that I can easily switch between them. In order to do that I normally 'Clear all', then open the apps I need and then it's a piece of cake to switch between them. Now I have to manually clear every app I've had open in the last day or so and then do that - what a hassle.
Typical price of progress... let's make things more difficult for people that know what they're doing.

murrayrj1986

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Something I don't like is that they removed the ability to open the clock app and set alarms from the notification area. Hopefully this is something they reintroduce in a later build.

I thought this was the case, but if you open the notification area, you should be able to click on the time to open the Clock app. But you seem to need to click on the date :)

What is more annoying is 'Settings' cog now requires the notification tray to be fully open before it appears!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Okie doke. Update done. Fell asleep installing it and finished it off this morning. Lloyds works. Outlook works. Like the gestures. Airdroid kept crashing. Will restart my phone and see if it stops. Am pleased I bit the bullet.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. While that may all be true, when I'm working I only want the three or four apps that I use most often to be in memory so that I can easily switch between them. In order to do that I normally 'Clear all', then open the apps I need and then it's a piece of cake to switch between them. Now I have to manually clear every app I've had open in the last day or so and then do that - what a hassle.
Typical price of progress... let's make things more difficult for people that know what they're doing.
That is very iOS. Have to manually clear them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae