Google will soon require OEMs to roll out ‘regular’ Android security patches

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Cool! If it's true, and if they're able to enforce it, then I might eventually replace my daily-driver iPhone with something running Android!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't big on watches but I love the Gear S3, 3 day battery since an update a few months back but it just isn't as integrated like it was when I was on a Sammy phone.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't matter. They won't enforce it.
First, that is an opinion without evidence to back it.

The question is CAN Google get it in OEM agreements? Samsung in particular.

The reason I singled out Samsung is not only the obvious reason that it is the biggest Android OEM, but it has also been working on its own OS for years.

What would happen to Android if Google tried to force Samsung into signing an OEM agreement that forced it to send out regular updates and Samsung said nope, we're going to make phones with our own OS?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
First, that is an opinion without evidence to back it.

The question is CAN Google get it in OEM agreements? Samsung in particular.

The reason I singled out Samsung is not only the obvious reason that it is the biggest Android OEM, but it has also been working on its own OS for years.

What would happen to Android if Google tried to force Samsung into signing an OEM agreement that forced it to send out regular updates and Samsung said nope, we're going to make phones with our own OS?

What OS have they been working on?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
TBH I am actually interested to see it as well lol. It is weird since I have never been a watch person.

Same here and I haven't worn a watch in over a decade.

As far as "Google will soon require OEMs to roll out ‘regular’ Android security patches"
That sounds like it could be good news if it goes as planned

On the watch thing

Same with me. I have never been a watch wearing person ever. I tried to like , but gave up in the 6th grade. Ha
I don't like feeling something tight on my wrist such as a leather band, and to loose and it spins around.
Also stretchy type band didnt work, because it can pinch the skin

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What OS have they been working on?

Tizen. Was released in 2013 as I recall. Their watches run it, and some lower tier phones.

Samsung would try to play up Tizen a lot more, but there is a major Achilles' heel to that: 3rd party developers don't develop for it. The best chance they would have is to load the next Galaxy S/Note with it, but once people realize there are fewer apps for it, it will get returned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2