Just switched from iPhone X to Pixel 2 XL - have a couple of questions

nervousrhino

May 12, 2018
Visit site
So I've just (literally a few hours ago) bought myself a Pixel 2 XL. A few days ago I couldn't decide between the iPhone X and the Pixel 2 XL, ended up going for the iPhone due to ecosystem. However ever since, I haven't been able to stop thinking about,

1) How I'd paid £1200 for a phone which seemed crazy to me.

2) The Pixel.

So today I picked up the Pixel. I still have my iPhone for the time being but I'm pretty sure it's getting returned soon. A couple of initial thoughts:

The screen is not on the same level as the iPhone X, but it's nowhere near as bad as made out. Considering before the few days with my X, I had only experienced LCD displays, I still love this Pixel screen, and I'm glad it's bigger than the iPhone's.

Boy am I going to love this notification system!

The camera, I thought it was too close to call, but having just taken photos with both cameras, the extra quality of the Pixel is evident.

Always on display! May seem like a small thing, but I've been an iPhone user ever since the 5s so I've never experienced this either.

Google assistant is going to be a lot of fun.

A native swipe keyboard!

Now for some help/advice I'd really appreciate:

1) The screen. Personally I find it great, however some people have issues so I took a picture of it here, I'd be gratefully if someone could tell me it's all good!

2) Battery life - any tips right at the start to make it even more amazing?

3) Apps - I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of apps copied over from my iPhone however I'm going to need replacements for:

Apollo (reddit client)

Airmail (email client)

Apple Health (preferably which syncs with Nokia scales and MyFitnessPal).

Fantastical (calendar client)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

4) The camera. So I tested the camera on my sister and we agreed the quality on the Pixel was better, but it looked better on the iPhone in terms of colours. When I take photos on my Pixel for instagram etc, would I need to edit them to suit better displays, or would the same pictures simply just look better on the better displays? If that makes sense!

5) Portrait mode on the selfie camera - in 'portrait mode', I cannot seem to reverse the camera. Does it not exist on the front facing camera?

6) I use Apple pay almost daily for things like shopping, etc. What is the best equivalent here?

7) Any case recommendations? I'm eyeing up one of the Google fabric cases but I'm not sure how protective they are?

8) Any other tips in general that I should be doing at the start? In terms of settings tweaks, app downloads, etc.

Thanks so much if you take the time to go through all those questions. I'm looking forward to being part of the Pixel community! If anyone wants, I can post some more detailed impressions soon. But as of right now, my impression is that I can't believe I've switched from the iPhone X to the Pixel 2 XL...WHILST making profit!

Last edited:

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
enjoy your new Pixel! this is a great phone. I can't speak to the iPhone as ive never owned one. some things I've done with my phone.

I liked the saturated color profile. some people don't like it because it looks less natural, but I love the bright colors. I don't much care for natural color on my phone, I'd rather have them bright and vibrant.

you shouldn't have to do much in terms of the battery, it's already quite good. the always on display will effect it a bit though, I don't generally use it on this phone. as always screen brightness mostly has the biggest impact on battery under normal circumstances.

for email and Reddit...I just use Gmail and the Reddit app, though I spend very little time on Reddit.

portrait mode exists on both cameras just flip to the front camera first then turn portrait mode on.

you shouldn't need to edit any photos you take for different displays.

your screen is likely fine, if your happy with it, all good. you may notice some black smeer in low brightness, or a small amount of blue tint when viewing at an angle. these are common complaints about the screen.

Google pay would be your equivalent to apply pay. I don't use it much though so not an expert.

I don't like cases personally, so I can't give much of a recommendation there. I would only use the most minimal of cases that would only provide the most minor protection so it doesn't take away from the look of the phone. I personally don't like the fabric cases from Google.

I prefer the much more open nature of the Android ecosystem, you can kind of tinker with things and do what you want. I recently swapped to the Android P beta which adds some new cool features to the phone, but does also add some bugs with certain apps.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Keep screen brightness low.

Turn on Adaptive Brightness during the day; set screen brightness to as low as you can stand at night. I use 15% screen brightness at night.

To accomplish Adaptive Brightness:
1. <squeeze sides of phone> Say: "Turn on adaptive brightness."

Or

2. Swipe down from top of screen. Tap gear icon. Tap Display. Tap Adaptive Brightness.

To set screen brightness:
1. <squeeze sides of phone> Say: "Set brightness to 15%" (or 10%, or 20%, etc.)

Or

2. Swipe down from top of screen. Tap gear icon. Tap Display. Tap brightness level. Adjust slider to set brightness.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Turn the location accuracy to better saving instead of high accuracy. That's the best thing you can do to make the battery better.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
2. Swipe down from top of screen. Tap gear icon. Tap Display. Tap brightness level. Adjust slider to set brightness.
Why not just: swipe down from top of screen (brings up Notification shade); swipe down again (shows Brightness slider)?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
So I've just (literally a few hours ago) bought myself a Pixel 2 XL. A few days ago I couldn't decide between the iPhone X and the Pixel 2 XL, ended up going for the iPhone due to ecosystem. However ever since, I haven't been able to stop thinking about,

1) How I'd paid £1200 for a phone which seemed crazy to me.

2) The Pixel.

So today I picked up the Pixel. I still have my iPhone for the time being but I'm pretty sure it's getting returned soon. A couple of initial thoughts:

The screen is not on the same level as the iPhone X, but it's nowhere near as bad as made out. Considering before the few days with my X, I had only experienced LCD displays, I still love this Pixel screen, and I'm glad it's bigger than the iPhone's.

Boy am I going to love this notification system!

The camera, I thought it was too close to call, but having just taken photos with both cameras, the extra quality of the Pixel is evident.

Always on display! May seem like a small thing, but I've been an iPhone user ever since the 5s so I've never experienced this either.

Google assistant is going to be a lot of fun.

A native swipe keyboard!

Now for some help/advice I'd really appreciate:

1) The screen. Personally I find it great, however some people have issues so I took a picture of it here, I'd be gratefully if someone could tell me it's all good!

3) Apps - I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of apps copied over from my iPhone however I'm going to need replacements for:

Apollo (reddit client)

Airmail (email client)

Apple Health (preferably which syncs with Nokia scales and MyFitnessPal).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

4) The camera. So I tested the camera on my sister and we agreed the quality on the Pixel was better, but it looked better on the iPhone in terms of colours. When I take photos on my Pixel for instagram etc, would I need to edit them to suit better displays, or would the same pictures simply just look better on the better displays? If that makes sense!

5) Portrait mode on the selfie camera - in 'portrait mode', I cannot seem to reverse the camera. Does it not exist on the front facing camera?

6) I use Apple pay almost daily for things like shopping, etc. What is the best equivalent here?

7) Any case recommendations? I'm eyeing up one of the Google fabric cases but I'm not sure how protective they are?

8) Any other tips in general that I should be doing at the start? In terms of settings tweaks, app downloads, etc.

Thanks so much if you take the time to go through all those questions. I'm looking forward to being part of the Pixel community! If anyone wants, I can post some more detailed impressions soon. But as of right now, my impression is that I can't believe I've switched from the iPhone X to the Pixel 2 XL...WHILST making profit!

Apps:

Nine is best equivalent I have found for Airmail (though I prefer Spark on ios and Mac) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

Digical is a good alternative to Fantastical (although I like native google calendar app) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.calendar

There isn't a direct replacement for Apple Health but I did install Samsung Health app the other day and it has integration with several health apps. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.shealth

As for cases, I bought the Live Case with a photo from Google. It was the tough case but I found it too large for my hand to be comfortable. Other people found the size ok. I am now using a Spigen Slim Fit and it has been just perfect for me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6242913

If you enable developer options ( by going into settings, system, about phone, build number and clicking on build number 7 times) you can change the window animation scale to .5, the Transition animation scale to .5 and the Animator Transition Scale to .5 as these settings speed up the phone.
90f7919450e3ddd22d3ee01672f0b6b1.jpg

1d3c0018dadf266c92c2bdf35e656e7d.jpg

20cabea884be90635185ef90f395fffc.jpg
c00f30172ad2eb6c406e83c7c8906fe1.jpg
74b3622a0486194a075516ad12d7d94c.jpg

Last edited:

anon(10000748)

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I've used Sol calendar and the bluemail app. They were both pretty good. Digical was also very good as well, however I ultimately have ended up using the Google calendar and gmail so far.

As far as cases I really like the rhinoshield crashguard case.

There is the Google fit app, it does integrationwith my fitness pal but not sure about Nokia scales.

So far I'd recommend Google pay, it's pretty seamless. Haven't had any issues with it not being taken anywhere that accepts phones for payment.

I currently have an iPhone x for my personal and the pixel 2 XL for my personal phone.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I have a white Pixel 2, and I got the clear Speck case that can protect the phone from an eight foot drop, and it's NOT a huge ugly case. Since I don't have money to throw away, I want to protect my phone as much as possible, yet I hate those ugly, Otter Box (and similar) cases. Granted, there are people with jobs that would necessitate such cases, but I don't have one! Got a good glass screen protector, too.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Why not just: swipe down from top of screen (brings up Notification shade); swipe down again (shows Brightness slider)?
D'oh! I've been using the squeeze actions for this function for so long I forgot the double swipe method was available. Nice catch.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone!

Nine is great for email, so is just using Gmail.
The official Reddit app is pretty decent, I'd just recommend that.
Google calendar for calendar.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're going to get enough suggestions to last a lifetime.

The camera
The Pixel 2/2 XL is the camera every other phone compares itself to. Some even ccome close, but none exceeds it, especially when it comes to dynamic range (range of light to dark in a single shot). You can see things in the shadow and the lights don't wash out half the picture.

1) The screen. Personally I find it great, however some people have issues so I took a picture of it here
You can't post pictures until you've made 10 meaningful posts. (Just to stop dirve-by advertisers.)

Charge only to 70%. Charge when it's down to 30%. (Charging at 40% is even better.)

Apollo (reddit client)
Lots of reddit apps.

Airmail (email client)
Lots of (actually too many) email apps - also at the Play store.

It comes with a calendar that links to your Google calendar. Or, if you want something more like a daily planner, Jorte. Or if you need to share a calendar with the family, Cozi.

The XL had a screen burn-in problem, so the colors aren't as intense (saturated) as they could be. The pictures are as saturated as what you're taking a picture of. No editing needed.

It doesn't show n the screen, but if you take a picture it shows on the picture. (Using the front camera you usually don't have a close subject and a far background, so it's not as evident. Take a selfie with some trees a distance away, behind you.)

Probably Android Pay, although I don't use it. (The Walmart app does all I need, because, at the age of almost 76, I don't go out much.)

Any case that advertises the drop test. The Beetle is supposed to be good. I've always used the Otterbox Defender for all my phones. (And after having one slammed into a wall screen-first, I'm convinced. Not even a scuff mark on the wall.)

That depends on your interests. Star Walk? Facebook (although I wopuldn't put such a poorly-written app on anything I own)? What I consider essential, you might not be interested in. (If you're at all interested in how the GPS is working, GPS Status & Toolbox. If you want to do anything like programming for the phone, IFTTT or, if you really want to get into it, Tasker.) It's really up to you.

Oh, one thing. If you're using the same phone number, take it off iMessage, or you'll never get a text n the Pixel. And, for the time, SMS isn't like iMessage. Sending a picture is limited in size, and anything over 'tiny' gets compressed. But RCS (Rich Communication Services) is inching its way in, and once it's fully in (maybe a year or two), Apple will be wishing they could call it theirs. [Direct-client-to-client messaging and pictures, if it's fully implemented - no carrier or server needed.])

nervousrhino

May 12, 2018
Visit site
@nervousrhino

How you liking it so far?

Thanks for all the really helpful advice d
everyone.

My iPhone is going back today, I absolutely love this Pixel. It feels like MY phone, and whilst the X is a stunning device, I wouldn't trade my Pixel 2 XL for the world. I've also bought a Google Home to further immerse myself into the ecosystem

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
everyone.

My iPhone is going back today, I absolutely love this Pixel. It feels like MY phone, and whilst the X is a stunning device, I wouldn't trade my Pixel 2 XL for the world. I've also bought a Google Home to further immerse myself into the ecosystem

Great to hear

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
everyone.

Am glad you are happy with your choice.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Cyberman (intoning): "You shall become like us. You shall be like us!"