Pixel 2 XL owners tempted by OnePlus 6?

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy the o5t more than my pixel 2. obviously the pixel takes way better photos but if I am not going on a trip it's o5t all day. just does some things better than the pixel

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The OnePlus 6 looks like a really interesting device. Seems to check a lot of boxes.

If the Pixel 3 XL looks to have the same, low-quality screen that the Pixel 2 XL has, then the OnePlus 6 is a phone I'll consider getting instead.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The OnePlus 6 looks like a really interesting device. Seems to check a lot of boxes.

If the Pixel 3 XL looks to have the same, low-quality screen that the Pixel 2 XL has, then the OnePlus 6 is a phone I'll consider getting instead.

As I like to jump phone manufacturers each time I upgrade, I wouldn't mind getting a 6 or 6T.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You must have a bad screen because I've looked at mine side by side every phone you can imagine and I would be lying to myself and everyone else to call it low quality. Maybe it's not quite as saturated as what you're used to but to say it's low quality..... I don't know.....it doesn't seem to fit.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My Pixel 2 had multiple issues ,sometimes the camera app would fail and not open would half to reopen or restart the phone , Bluetooth a known issue plagued me then when WIFi failed I jumped ship and have had Zero issues with my OnePlus, now camera on the 5T is not near as good as the Pixel but the new OnePlus 6 has a new duel camera very inviting.
Also several hundred less ...$

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel 2 had multiple issues ,sometimes the camera app would fail and not open would half to reopen or restart the phone , Bluetooth a known issue plagued me then when WIFi failed I jumped ship and have had Zero issues with my OnePlus, now camera on the 5T is not near as good as the Pixel but the new OnePlus 6 has a new duel camera very inviting.
Also several hundred less ...$

It's great that it works for you....if I wasn't sold on the Pixel and I wanted to settle on the camera I would go V30 before anything else. The biggest reason I won't go near OnePlus and brands like that is I'm on Verizon.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You must have a bad screen because I've looked at mine side by side every phone you can imagine and I would be lying to myself and everyone else to call it low quality. Maybe it's not quite as saturated as what you're used to but to say it's low quality..... I don't know.....it doesn't seem to fit.
Yeah maybe I'm just unlucky, but my Pixel 2 XL screen has all of the previously reported issues - strong blue tint, background grain, black crash, black smear, low brightness. and when comparing it to the iPhone X or Galaxy S8/9, the screen does look quite poor next to them.

So I'd imagine the OnePlus 6 has a better screen than the P2XL (not hard to achieve), then all the hardware upgrades and at a much cheaper price, seems like a pretty good offering.

I'm still holding out for the Pixel 3 but of the screen isn't drastically better, I'm not going to pay near $1000 for a phone with a poor screen again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah maybe I'm just unlucky, but my Pixel 2 XL screen has all of the previously reported issues - strong blue tint, background grain, black crash, black smear, low brightness. and when comparing it to the iPhone X or Galaxy S8/9, the screen does look quite poor next to them.

So I'd imagine the OnePlus 6 has a better screen than the P2XL (not hard to achieve), then all the hardware upgrades and at a much cheaper price, seems like a pretty good offering.

I'm still holding out for the Pixel 3 but of the screen isn't drastically better, I'm not going to pay near $1000 for a phone with a poor screen again.

You should try to exchange it..why not get one that's good you payed for it . If mine had a problem I'd definitely call Google for exchange

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You should try to exchange it..why not get one that's good you payed for it . If mine had a problem I'd definitely call Google for exchange
I have tried, multiple times. Took it back to the telco I bought it from and showed them the isssues, they compare my phone to their demo P2XL unit, which had the same issues and said that's just how the screen is and they weren't defects.

Then I contacted Google and they said unless the screen has an actual defect like dead pixels or not displaying images etc, then they can't help me. They also said that those were normal trails of all phone screens.

So I don't really know how had is in comparison to other P2XL's - I don't have the luxury of comparing it to hundreds of other units to see where on the spectrum mine falls, but I do know that when I look at my partner's Galaxy S9+, I do think that screen is substantially better than my P2XL one.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I guess some of us got lucky with our screens....but yeah compare it to s9+ or iPhone x the 2 best screens out there which I have will make the pixel look bad but I still like this phone and at the moment my favorite

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess some of us got lucky with our screens....but yeah compare it to s9+ or iPhone x the 2 best screens out there which I have will make the pixel look bad but I still like this phone and at the moment my favorite

I am fine w/ the screen TBH. For me ... It comes down to trust. I am pretty much a Google / iPhone person now. IDK if I trust OnePlus as a company to give them money and use their phone.