Any way to get Pixel to not compress sent photos?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I got bored today and bought a Pixel 2 (not XL) from Verizon.
Is there any way to make android NOT compress the crapola out of pictures being sent through Android / Google Messages? I also tried VZW Message app too. Still compressed.
Unfortunately all my friends just ditched Allo after google announced it was done with that app. And i am not going to be able to talk all my friends into another "special" app just for pictures. So i just need to remove compression. if possible.
I have sent photos to my iPhone and they look like trash. The Pixel Camera takes amazing pictures that look amazing on the pixel phone. if you send a picture to anyone, it loses everything that makes the camera special. blurry and terrible looking.
If I send a phone FROM my iPhone TO the pixel, it still looks about Half a good as the original picture, So, Pixel or Android seem to be compressing photos so much that it's useless for MMS. I would have to go back to emailing pictures if i wanted people to see the Full Picture.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That depends on the carrier. Almost all carriers compress attachments to SMS. It has nothing to do with Android, it has to do with storage space for the files (that the carriers have to maintain). When we've completely transferred over to RCS instead of SMS, that problem will probably be gone (with direct-client-to-client messaging).

Until then, email the picture if it's under 25MB. If it's larger, post it on a cloud account and text the link to it, so the recipient can download it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That depends on the carrier. Almost all carriers compress attachments to SMS. It has nothing to do with Android, it has to do with storage space for the files (that the carriers have to maintain). When we've completely transferred over to RCS instead of SMS, that problem will probably be gone (with direct-client-to-client messaging).

Until then, email the picture if it's under 25MB. If it's larger, post it on a cloud account and text the link to it, so the recipient can download it.

Exactly....they can be shared from Google photos

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As few others suggested, use Google photos and even if they don't have or don't want to use Google photos app they can still view the photos in the browser using a shareable link.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
ok. sending the link is odd, comes in like a log in code from like 673-4 etc. it's clear. creates a whole new "thread" in texts since it's not a text. guess its a work around when you wanna show details.
Good thing Google is working on RCS (that should have been done 4 years ago)

OK. Question TWO: when I take a pic and want to send it. The phone goes to "Gallery" and only shows the pictures taken by then Pixel 2. I thought the entire reason to own a pixel was because it used Google Photos by default?
Also, there is No "gallery" app on the phone so the only way to see that "gallery" is act like you are going to send a message and look there, or go into camera app and click the "preview" circle.
when I go into google message and want to send a photo, it will not let me use google photo. I have to use gallery.
Why does Android make things so convoluted. I bought this because I sold my Note 8 because I felt like Samsung was fighting everything Google. So I buy google and they can't just use ONE SINGLE APP for pictures like iPhone does. (it's called: you guess it!!... Photos) there is no separate "gallery" it's the file path for ... wait for it .... PHOTOS!!!! every single picture taken by the iphone goes to that one app. screen shots (when saved) pictures save from texts etc. every single "picture" goes to Photos. One single place.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
ok. sending the link is odd, comes in like a log in code from like 673-4 etc. it's clear. creates a whole new "thread" in texts since it's not a text. guess its a work around when you wanna show details.
Good thing Google is working on RCS (that should have been done 4 years ago)

OK. Question TWO: when I take a pic and want to send it. The phone goes to "Gallery" and only shows the pictures taken by then Pixel 2. I thought the entire reason to own a pixel was because it used Google Photos by default?
Also, there is No "gallery" app on the phone so the only way to see that "gallery" is act like you are going to send a message and look there, or go into camera app and click the "preview" circle.
when I go into google message and want to send a photo, it will not let me use google photo. I have to use gallery.
Why does Android make things so convoluted. I bought this because I sold my Note 8 because I felt like Samsung was fighting everything Google. So I buy google and they can't just use ONE SINGLE APP for pictures like iPhone does. (it's called: you guess it!!... Photos) there is no separate "gallery" it's the file path for ... wait for it .... PHOTOS!!!! every single picture taken by the iphone goes to that one app. screen shots (when saved) pictures save from texts etc. every single "picture" goes to Photos. One single place.
I use this gallery. It is free with no ads

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It used to use an app named Gallery. Now it uses an app called Photos. Next year they'll come out with an app with a different name. It's all the same thing, because photo apps show the pictures that are listed as pictures in the Media Scan database (which builds every time you restart the phone and adds every picture as you take it). It's also used for videos and sound files.

As for the links in a message, just long-pressing the link should give you a "Copy" choice and it may (I've never tried) bring up the default web browser if you just tap on it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
when I take a pic and want to send it. The phone goes to "Gallery" and only shows the pictures taken by then Pixel
When you take a picture and immediately want to do something with it just select the Preview. Otherwise just use the Photos app to find your screenshots (if you enable Photos to back those up) or other pictures/videos.
17f04afee763221e4154c9d230e3e685.jpg
91574b2ef02e81e302eb5a2fa7f7cb16.jpg

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I want to open my text app. tap on a person and share ANY photo on google photos AS WELL AS pictures I took with my phone. (all of which Should be in ONE place: Photos)
When I open up a text and tap + I can ONLY share the pictures taken on/by the Pixel phone.
The Only way to share on old photo is to go thru a back door? I have to go to google photos, find a picture, hit share, then pick a name...
Again, why does android makes things Such a massive chore? Why can I not just pic Any picture directly from the text thread?
I always thought things were this difficult because of being a Samsung user. come to find out it's just android. Samsung is actually just trying to fix a broken OS, Android.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Isn't RCS already rolled out in the US? It's already available in my country if I use Google Messages app. Just go to settings and turn on Chat features.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to open my text app. tap on a person and share ANY photo on google photos AS WELL AS pictures I took with my phone. (all of which Should be in ONE place: Photos)
Perhaps it depends on the text app that you're using - from within both the stock Messages app and the Verizon Message+ app I can access all of the content in the Google Photos app (which includes all images taken by my Pixel 2 XL, my Nexus 6P and other miscellaneous pictures/videos that I uploaded from my older phones).
If you would like some marked up screenshots showing how let me know. Or let us know which app you're using.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. I have no issue on Verizon w/ my Verizon Pixel 2 XL 128 GB.

Texting pictures via MMS will compress it some but not enough to notice (from my use). Videos.. well yeah def. notice. Have to upload to Google Photos and share a link for that... or use the gf's iPhone for iMessage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When I open up a text and tap + I can ONLY share the pictures taken on/by the Pixel phone.
The Only way to share on old photo is to go thru a back door? I have to go to google photos, find a picture, hit share, then pick a name...
Again, why does android makes things Such a massive chore? Why can I not just pic Any picture directly from the text thread?
I always thought things were this difficult because of being a Samsung user. come to find out it's just android. Samsung is actually just trying to fix a broken OS, Android.

I can see pictures from all over when texting... Not sure why you can't? I actually get better results on my Pixel versus Samsung so not sure how they are fixing something. Samsung puts screenshots in the "Camera Roll" folder so all my screenshots counted as pictures. That is beyond awful lol.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I can see pictures from all over when texting... Not sure why you can't? I actually get better results on my Pixel versus Samsung so not sure how they are fixing something. Samsung puts screenshots in the "Camera Roll" folder so all my screenshots counted as pictures. That is beyond awful lol.

If you take a picture with the camera, open the Android messages app and tap the + icon to send a photo, you can see pictures taken with your camera? Because if you can, that's not really normal. It's generally difficult and annoying to send camera photos via text.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you take a picture with the camera, open the Android messages app and tap the + icon to send a photo, you can see pictures taken with your camera? Because if you can, that's not really normal. It's generally difficult and annoying to send camera photos via text.

I use Textra and to be honest... Zero issues sending pictures via text. I tap the + icon.. choose what I want.. and send. Simple.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I still use Hangouts (because my carrier allows me to - Project Fi).

When I tap the icon in the message composition window to add a photo, it takes me to a photo browser. If the photo I want to add is not in that list I can slide in a menu from the left and select to use the Photos app to browse to attach a photo. If the photo I want to attach is not stored on the phone already, it downloads it then sends it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Isn't RCS already rolled out in the US? It's already available in my country if I use Google Messages app. Just go to settings and turn on Chat features.
T-Mobile has implemented parts of it, so far. No direct-client-to-client, though. And no other carriers. (Which says it's being implemented incorrectly - the handshake for dcc should be via internet, not via phone number. It's old technology - IRC was doing that back in 1996, at least. But I guess for the "this is a phone, not a computer" set, that would be too much like learning.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae