05-25-2018 10:05 AM
68 123
tools
    My Pixel 2 somehow ended up with a System UI has stopped error that ends up with it not being able to boot past the Android Recovery screen. It gives me the option to try again or reset. Reset three times and within hours it's back to the same screen. Sold it at an ecoATM. Going back to iOS. Never been more disappointed in myself for buying such an expensive liability. Who knew that changing a phone wallpaper could brick a phone.

EDIT POST-OP: I decided against going back to iOS, given my dislike of Apples battery scandal.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-14-2018 08:02 AM
    My Pixel 2 somehow ended up with a System UI has stopped error that ends up with it not being able to boot past the Android Recovery screen. It gives me the option to try again or reset. Reset three times and within hours it's back to the same screen. Sold it at an ecoATM. Going back to iOS. Never been more disappointed in myself for buying such an expensive liability. Who knew that changing a phone wallpaper could brick a phone.
    Ok, bye.
    Devenchi and tadpoles like this.
    05-14-2018 08:03 AM
    One bad experience and you're gone? I can almost guarantee changing the wallpaper didn't cause the boot problem, but have fun on iOS. It'll be interesting to see your reaction when their phone breaks on you.
    05-14-2018 08:39 AM
    One bad experience and you're gone? I can almost guarantee changing the wallpaper didn't cause the boot problem, but have fun on iOS. It'll be interesting to see your reaction when their phone breaks on you.
    Agreed.... Changing wallpaper would not have that effect.
    05-14-2018 08:52 AM
    Hey gotta do what you gotta do --- Just don't expect iPhones to never have issues. It can happen anywhere when it comes to software.. no one is immune .
    05-14-2018 09:33 AM
    It seems that you can get a lemon even on the most expensive or popular phones - heck, even on $200 ones! No platform is immune - any phone purchase these days is a gamble, I'd say; because you never know! Perhaps your Pixel 2 was defective and that caused this issue; as changing a wallpaper would not cause a system UI failure.

Enjoy Apple!
    05-14-2018 11:30 AM
    worked at a corporate carrier. so many phones in all the time. so many iPhones, but had a higher iPhone base too. point being all phones have problems. right now my wife's 6s plus has touch issues where it won't register when she tries to open or send iMessage. so...yep.
    05-14-2018 11:59 AM
    Thank goodness Apple devices are perfect and never have issues.

*Removes tongue from cheek*
    05-14-2018 12:12 PM
    I bet a full flash of the firmware would have resolved it. Oh well, more for the rest of us...
    05-14-2018 12:40 PM
    I think you were holding it wrong
    05-14-2018 01:18 PM
    So just buy a new pixel 2 , get one wallpaper that you really love, and stick to it this time! .......
    05-14-2018 01:50 PM
    I bet a full flash of the firmware would have resolved it. Oh well, more for the rest of us...
    And even if that doesn't do it, Deuces Bootloop-Recovery & Flashing Script usually does - with no loss of data. (Pixels can be flashed without wiping user data.)

At the very worst, a Pixel 2 is still under warranty, so they should replace it (they replaced mine, even though I later found out that the script would have fixed it). And, if you talk nicely, you may even get them to ship first (putting a hold on the price on your credit or debit card) and let you return the bad one after (so you can transfer the data).

I wonder what ecoATM paid - $200? $400? When a simple flash would fix the phone? (If I see anyone doing that at the local machine, I offer to buy it from them for a few dollars - maybe a few tens of dollars for a Pixel 2 - than the machine offers. Then flash it and sell it. That machine is a good source of good phones.)
    05-14-2018 03:37 PM
    Have fun on iOS.
    05-14-2018 05:51 PM
    Yeah Apple, there ya go. Home of the locked down screen grids, no personalized icon placement. But you can change the wallpaper. Nice. Enjoy!
    05-14-2018 06:54 PM
    There are good reasons to switch to iOS, but this doesn't seem like one of those.

On balance, I prefer iOS but could get along well if forced to use Android as my primary system instead.

I've had problems with phones running borh OSes, with more hardware problems on Apple (including an iPhone 6 whose earpiece speaker died less than 2 years into owning it) and more software problems with Android devices (and my biggest pet peeve, lack of extended support for OS and security updates, though that would admittedly be remedied by purchasing a Pixel next time, and other major OEMs are getting better, particularly Nokia/HMD and Sony).
    Sam_Gs7 and tadpoles like this.
    05-14-2018 07:03 PM
    It sounds like this person is really an Apple person anyway and was just waiting for any reason to go back so...no biggie.
    bigbearballs and tadpoles like this.
    05-14-2018 07:11 PM
    he will be back ...
    bigbearballs likes this.
    05-14-2018 07:26 PM
    It sounds like this person is really an Apple person anyway and was just waiting for any reason to go back so...no biggie.
    Agreed. But if if that's the case, he could have gotten the phone repaired or replaced under warranty, and then he could have sold it on Swappa and made out far better than dumping it for peanuts on ecoATM.
    mustang7757 and bigbearballs like this.
    05-14-2018 07:49 PM
    Wife had to send back 2 brand new iPhone 8+. One had a bad battery, the other dead pixels. iPhones aren't any better but do you.
    05-14-2018 08:07 PM
    Agreed. But if if that's the case, he could have gotten the phone repaired or replaced under warranty, and then he could have sold it on Swappa and made out far better than dumping it for peanuts on ecoATM.
    We don't know how the OP obtained the phone but I agree there are normally other channels
    05-14-2018 08:59 PM
    Gotta love fastboot flash commands. I agree that reloading the OS would have probably fixed it.
    05-14-2018 10:39 PM
    Everyone knows that on google phones you need to change the wallpaper only on a full battery while plugged in.
    05-14-2018 11:58 PM
    Here's my opinion on this issue. We're free to Go back and forth
    from iOS-iPhone to Android..Google phones aren't well rated
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-15-2018 12:14 AM
    it's interesting that people freak out whenever a piece of technology fails. I mean, it's common place for it to happen. happens with every major tech brand in every sector. it sucks if your on the recieving end of a lemon, but it is what it is.
    05-15-2018 12:17 AM
    System UI failures? Sounds like someone got a rooted phone and then applied a bad theme (not wallpaper) to it.
    05-15-2018 01:20 AM
68 123