Has Your Battery Life Improved on Beta P?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I feel I am getting less battery life with P beta. Don't have a lot of hard numbers to back that up.
But today I'm at work now, 2 hrs after waking up with 100% charge, and I just plugged in, 53%.

My battery settings don't show any red flags for what coulda done it. I'm wondering if it's my Allstate Driving app, which I'm pretty sure just runs in the background...
If you go into battery settings and find the adaptive battery settings you can set apps so they don't run in the background. It will show you the "naughty" apps.
bc7b47c6412109c4b75c0345f0bba36b.jpg
26fe19f152a06e0f26a0e0dbb7a16264.jpg

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this is a frustrating aspect of these phones... Everyone has their own use case. No two people use their phones alike... different apps, used at different times with different settings and different network quality... A bad LTE or WiFi signal can use 10 to 100 times more power than a strong, clean signal.

So you can have two people with the same phone sitting next to each other and one gets 6 hours of usage and only needs to charge once a day and the person next to them might struggle to get 3 hours or so and their looking for a charger by dinner.

And because there are a million moving parts, it's really difficult to fix because, in reality, there is really nothing wrong. The phone is using all that power because it needs to do so to meet your usage demands.

This.... my battery changes drastically on weekdays (office has terrible signal) and weekends home has pretty good signal. I use it more on weekends and get better battery life.

resturg

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes battery life seems better, I use phone to play games and it looks better than before. I have not done a factual test yet.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Hey! I don't see that, when I tap "adaptive battery" in settings. Does it need to be enabled? How do I do that?
I think you do that app by app in Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps. Then open Advanced in any app's info page and tap on Battery > Background restriction.

Michael J H

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you do that app by app in Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps. Then open Advanced in any app's info page and tap on Battery > Background restriction.

Are you saying she did that manual process for 70-80 apps? I thought the feature was performed by your phone automatically, and driven by machine learning? Hence why the other user seemed "sad" that his phone has only identified ~10 apps to restrict, so far.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Are you saying she did that manual process for 70-80 apps? I thought the feature was performed by your phone automatically, and driven by machine learning?
I have no idea what KG did, and I don't think JB was seriously sad given his "Haha" at the end.

All I can tell you is that the one and only app that I have listed as restricted was a result of my 2 XL asking me if I wanted to restrict it.

Michael J H

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I see, ok. I wonder if they have rolled it out differently for different devices. i.e. since I only have the 1st gen Pixel, I don't get these "requests" by the system, automatically identifying apps. And Pixel 2 is smarter so not all of it is manual.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You can add it, it's in the battery settings of the app. Like if you tap and he an app and hit info, then go to battery and you'll see this.
88c3781cd9ff404dfaffd2afa723c588.jpg

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I'd say you're wise not to restrict battery usage for any system apps or any launcher that you actually use, unless you really want to have a lousy experience on your phone. It is odd, though, that battery restriction is available as an option on even hardcore system apps like Android Shared Library or android.auto_generated_rro__ (to pick just 2). Maybe that availability will change on later DPs.

cbcasas

Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
I'd say you're wise not to restrict battery usage for any system apps or any launcher that you actually use, unless you really want to have a lousy experience on your phone. It is odd, though, that battery restriction is available as an option on even hardcore system apps like Android Shared Library or android.auto_generated_rro__ (to pick just 2). Maybe that availability will change on later DPs.

Yeah super weird. I still can't get the feature to stay on anyway. Might just have to wait it out til they fix it.

Mike Pepper

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Oh yeah; and rapid charging is no longer working if not plugged into a genuine Google @$%ing adapter. So that means battery going negative in the car. Thanks for your super thoughtfulness google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy