Has Your Battery Life Improved on Beta P?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Some like myself have reported here and there that battery life seems to have improved. I haven't actually measured it so I hope it's not a placebo effect.
Any thoughts?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing improvements in both active and issue drain. It's only sightly better idle, but the active (screen on) is a good 20 - 25% less than the last 8.1 builds... Which actually had some power issues in all fairness.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
mine's definitely improved, for sure not placebo. I mean Google added the adaptive battery settings... so shouldn't we expect to see some improvement? I'm getting more then a day of usage out of my 2 XL right now. I even turned the ambient "always on" display back on (something I had turned off with Oreo), and I'm still getting more battery life. 4.5 hrs of screen time right now, still over 40% battery and about 18 hrs since last charge. could definitely get 7+ hrs of screen on time easily right now. I'm certain that there has been an improvement with the P beta.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
mine's definitely improved, for sure not placebo. I mean Google added the adaptive battery settings... so shouldn't we expect to see some improvement? I'm getting more then a day of usage out of my 2 XL right now. I even turned the ambient "always on" display back on (something I had turned off with Oreo), and I'm still getting more battery life. 4.5 hrs of screen time right now, still over 40% battery and about 18 hrs since last charge. could definitely get 7+ hrs of screen on time easily right now. I'm certain that there has been an improvement with the P beta.
I struggle to get more than 5 hours SOT and 15 hours of battery life. I tried it without using NapTime and it was worse. I am still happy with my battery life in general but I am not getting the battery use out of my phone that other people do. Mostly I am reading Tapatalk or news apps. Not really using video media. Sometimes streaming podcasts, but not every day. Not sure really. I am using NapTime again.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I struggle to get more than 5 hours SOT and 15 hours of battery life. I tried it without using NapTime and it was worse. I am still happy with my battery life in general but I am not getting the battery use out of my phone that other people do. Mostly I am reading Tapatalk or news apps. Not really using video media. Sometimes streaming podcasts, but not every day. Not sure really. I am using NapTime again.

It's the cat pictures....lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Better for sure here on my smaller Pixel. I use the phone the same 90% of the time and when I put it to bed I see the same SOT more or less but noticibly more battery left in the tank. Really liking "P".

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Its most likely apps. I see people on here that have so many apps on their phones. I really don't have that many (only about 55) and the majority of those are Google apps. I don't use my phone for games at all. Social media, music, communication and news and spots - this makes up 95% of what I do with my phone.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Its most likely apps. I see people on here that have so many apps on their phones. I really don't have that many (only about 55) and the majority of those are Google apps. I don't use my phone for games at all. Social media, music, communication and news and spots - this makes up 95% of what I do with my phone.
I do have a lot of apps. But most are static and I don't play games either. But I guess you are correct.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree it's apps that are the biggest power users. I've used 30% battery since I got up 8 hours ago and notice 2 and a half sot so far. This puts me on track for an easy 6 hours sot and more before midnight bedtime but I rarely need that much. I count 12 apps besides the included Google apps. Pleased with this power sipping phone.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Depends on the apps, I guess. And usage. I have 100+ apps on mine, and I'm rarely down more than 20% by the end of a 9-5 work day. I've never seen any correlation between battery drain and the total number of apps in the app drawer. Course, the only "social" app on my phone is Google+. I wouldn't hit a dog in the keister with Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am still happy with my battery life in general but I am not getting the battery use out of my phone that other people do.

Yeah, this is a frustrating aspect of these phones... Everyone has their own use case. No two people use their phones alike... different apps, used at different times with different settings and different network quality... A bad LTE or WiFi signal can use 10 to 100 times more power than a strong, clean signal.

So you can have two people with the same phone sitting next to each other and one gets 6 hours of usage and only needs to charge once a day and the person next to them might struggle to get 3 hours or so and their looking for a charger by dinner.

And because there are a million moving parts, it's really difficult to fix because, in reality, there is really nothing wrong. The phone is using all that power because it needs to do so to meet your usage demands.

NOLATechy

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Most definitely seeing an increase in battery life on my original Pixel XL. Fell asleep at 9:00 p.m. without plugging the phone in and last I looked I had 67% battery left. When the alarm went off at 5:00 a.m., I realized I forgot to plug in the phone and when I looked, I still had 64% battery. That's only a 3% battery drop in 8 hours. I actually didn't plug the phone in and still made it through til 9:30 p.m. that night having 19% battery left using the phone regularly throughout the day. Wow! I'm definitely impressed! This new Active Battery thing really works!

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
No change for me on battery life, still good. love the P but phone is definitely getting bugged down by something. I knew the risks so it's not too much of an issue but it turns off the AOD quite often, freezes, lags and the finger print scanner is getting ever slower.

Michael J H

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I feel I am getting less battery life with P beta. Don't have a lot of hard numbers to back that up.
But today I'm at work now, 2 hrs after waking up with 100% charge, and I just plugged in, 53%.

My battery settings don't show any red flags for what coulda done it. I'm wondering if it's my Allstate Driving app, which I'm pretty sure just runs in the background...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles