Photos Saved from Google Images Not Going Into Photos (the app)

May 19, 2018
Visit site
Whenever I download an image from Google images it goes into downloads and stays there. Even if go into downloads and transfer it to Photos I can't open the image in apps like Snapchat, Instagram, or Facebook. It's a new phone to me (Pixel 2), and my last phone saved images downloaded from Google straight to Photos. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I download an image from Google images it goes into downloads and stays there. Even if go into downloads and transfer it to Photos I can't open the image in apps like Snapchat, Instagram, or Facebook. It's a new phone to me (Pixel 2), and my last phone saved images downloaded from Google straight to Photos. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!

Go to Google Photos, settings, and then under "Backup" turn on those folders. The contents from those folders will then start to show in Google Photos.

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the Pixel 2 also and wondered the same thing. Try this:
>open the downloads app and find the pic
>tap the 3 dots in the upper right
>tap share
>share to Photos
>the pic should now be in the photos folder in Google Photos
So far this is the only way I've found to get it Google Photos. If there's an easier way, I'd like to know

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't find it, am I looking in the wrong place?
You're looking in Photos -> Device folders, correct? That's the correct place but it's odd that the Downloads folder isn't listed.
What version of the Photos app are you using? I've got 3.20.1.196756206 (damn Google and these long assed version numbers), last updated May 17th. But even earlier versions listed the Downloads folder.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's not a problem with Google Photos. It's an issue supposedly new feature with Google Image search. It doesn't save the photo to the device anymore. It's like locked in cache storage for the search app only. The photo isn't downloaded to the device if you use "Save" from Google Image search. The only work around I've thought of so far is on Google Search, choose open image in new tab or open image location, then long click the image and choose save.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC