Couple of questions about 2 and 2XL

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I am considering either a 2 or 2XL to replace my OnePlus 3T. I have a couple of questions about both of the Pixel devices:

1) How is the volume for notifications? I carry my device in a belt holster which tends to reduce audible sound volume.

2) How is the vibration for notifications? (Same belt carry reason as above.)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I would say the volume is pretty good overall (for notifications - music and video are awesome!). I find that my notification volume seems lower than it had been on my Honor 8; however, I use "softer" tones so it could just be that. You'd be able to hear them if your phone was in a holster.

With regards to vibration, I'd say you'd be able to feel that, as well. When my Pixel 2 is in my purse in the car (I'd be in the passenger seat, just for the sake of context) and my legs or feet are resting against it, if my phone vibrates, I will feel it more often than not.

Are you leaning more towards the Pixel 2 or the Pixel 2 XL?

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi there!

I would say the volume is pretty good overall (for notifications - music and video are awesome!). I find that my notification volume seems lower than it had been on my Honor 8; however, I use "softer" tones so it could just be that. You'd be able to hear them if your phone was in a holster.

With regards to vibration, I'd say you'd be able to feel that, as well. When my Pixel 2 is in my purse in the car (I'd be in the passenger seat, just for the sake of context) and my legs or feet are resting against it, if my phone vibrates, I will feel it more often than not.

Are you leaning more towards the Pixel 2 or the Pixel 2 XL?

Thanks for the feedback - I am leaning towards the 2 - the 2XL is a pretty large device. But the 2 is a smaller display than my 3T and my previous phone, so I afraid it might be a bit too small (as in making typing more difficult). Also - the XL is considerably more expensive - so that leans me back towards the 2. I guess I could get the 2, decide quickly, and if too small return it for the XL.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I have the P2, and found that the "regulation" notification sound was so much quieter than what I was used to, coming from a Nokia Icon. I missed a lot of notifications until I downloaded my own sounds from the Zedge launcher. I have loud and clear Blues guitar riffs making my announcements now, and I am WAY happier!

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the P2, and found that the "regulation" notification sound was so much quieter than what I was used to, coming from a Nokia Icon. I missed a lot of notifications until I downloaded my own sounds from the Zedge launcher. I have loud and clear Blues guitar riffs making my announcements now, and I am WAY happier!

Thanks for the input - I always run Zedge or other sourced tones - the stock tones are too wimpy!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't agree with you more! I'm a bit relieved to hear another user express this; as I had wondered if it was a my-device-only issue.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback - I am leaning towards the 2 - the 2XL is a pretty large device. But the 2 is a smaller display than my 3T and my previous phone, so I afraid it might be a bit too small (as in making typing more difficult). Also - the XL is considerably more expensive - so that leans me back towards the 2. I guess I could get the 2, decide quickly, and if too small return it for the XL.

I too wondered if the Pixel 2 would be too small for me; but it's almost the same size as my Honor 8 (which is 5.2") - I think Google really did a good job with the smaller 2's form factor. So do not worry!

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

I am considering either a 2 or 2XL to replace my OnePlus 3T. I have a couple of questions about both of the Pixel devices:

1) How is the volume for notifications? I carry my device in a belt holster which tends to reduce audible sound volume.

2) How is the vibration for notifications? (Same belt carry reason as above.)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Very good on both

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I use the P2 in an Otterrbox - speakers facing the holster. I use my alarm every day. Sometimes it makes me jump when it goes off. (And my ringtone, an old phone bell set so loud that it's a bit distorted, can be heard for a couple of hundred feet.) As for the small screen, I came from a Note 3, so I have a few styli (I found a pack of 3, with pens, in a dollar store for a few bucks) that I use when my fat fingers are too large.