06-03-2018 01:15 PM
34 12
tools
    Top 5 Smartphone Cameras: The Blind Test! [2018] by MKBHD
    *Best viewed on a larger monitor

05-22-2018 03:59 PM
    TBH. I kept choosing C on most of them. A few of them (like the weird fire thing w/ a light) I chose differently.
    05-22-2018 04:05 PM
    I can definitely see the increased dynamic range of the Pixel (although he didn't push that really hard), and the Pixel does portrait mode deeper (I'd already discovered that with my own pixel). None of them did the Android well, but I think he had the white balance a bit off on that shot on all of them.
    strikeIII likes this.
    05-22-2018 04:31 PM
    I consistently chose C. The detail in the dog and two portraits really stood out and nailed it for the Pixel camera.
    strikeIII likes this.
    05-22-2018 04:46 PM
    I can definitely see the increased dynamic range of the Pixel (although he didn't push that really hard), and the Pixel does portrait mode deeper (I'd already discovered that with my own pixel). None of them did the Android well, but I think he had the white balance a bit off on that shot on all of them.
    Possibly but I think it's a great representation of how the average user uses the camera.
    05-22-2018 05:23 PM
    He said he didn't do anything when taking .. all auto. So it was whatever the camera decided.
    05-22-2018 05:43 PM
    I did prefer C in most of the shots, but I also liked A most of the time. Once I saw that was the OnePlus 6 I was white surprised. E was my third choice.

I also mistook the iPhone X for the Huawei P20 Pro.
    05-22-2018 06:13 PM
    I chose C majority, but tbh B was a close second.
    05-22-2018 09:20 PM
    The warts and all processing on C in the last set, where every tiny bump on Brownlee's forehead was captured in stark relief, fingered that one as the 2 XL. But I was bouncing back and forth between C and E set by set and never settled on a clear winner. At the outset, I was guessing that B was the S9 because of how vivid the hydrant was and how much brighter some of those shots were. No surprise, I guess, that Apple would try to match its main competitor punch for punch: same AMOLED panel; same bright, juicy images, just a tad yellower.
    05-22-2018 10:05 PM
    I consistently chose C. The detail in the dog and two portraits really stood out and nailed it for the Pixel camera.
    I can always pick out Coke vs Pepsi....photos not so much
    05-23-2018 05:22 AM
    I picked C for most of the shots. My 2nd choice was E.

I thought for sure B was Galaxy S9+ because every shot was oversaturated.
    I thought E was Apple X.
    I figured D was the Huwei because they were consistently the worst shots.
    That left A as the OnePlus 6.
    05-23-2018 02:04 PM
    "Originally Posted by Rukbat"

He said he didn't do anything when taking .. all auto. So it was whatever the camera decided.
    That's exactly what I meant. The scene wasn't balanced, with all the white and red, so the "white" screen in the background showed up as yellow. But since the lighting wasn't white, you can't get the color balance to any setting that would balance the whole shot. (It's the sort of thing that drives not only photographers, but labs, bonkers. A lab once contacted a friend to tell him that the reason his film was still not in his hands was that they couldn't figure out how to color balance so that his Spitz didn't show up green. [The dog's fur had been dyed a bright green.])
    05-23-2018 03:35 PM
    I went:

B
    C
    C
    D
    D
    C
    E
    05-23-2018 04:11 PM
    Going with just my gut feeling as the video rolled D (the Huawei) had three wins, vs. C (the Pixel) with 2, and E (Galaxy S9) with 2. I even gave B, the iPhone X, one win. However, most of the scenes were nothing I would normally shoot much of. I am mostly scenics, in great lighting, which means sunset, sunrise, special skies, etc. I try to avoid shooting stuff in flat lighting, which most of them were taken in.
    05-23-2018 04:14 PM
    I liked C the most, B and E roughly tied for 2nd
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2018 04:26 PM
    I ended up picking the iPhone X and pixel tied on most shots. I was pretty surprised because don’t usually like iPhone cameras but guess I was wrong.
    05-23-2018 11:42 PM
    I was all over the place, probably C was my favorite, but I often liked E and A. If I had to put them in order it would be C, then E, then A. I never picked B or D!
    05-24-2018 01:14 PM
    I picked C most of the time. The first one was B. I was a toss up between B and C but the last few photos C was the clear winner. I hated E. And the others were not that great when compared to B and C. Was relieved when C turned out to be the glorious Pixel 2
    05-26-2018 03:03 AM
    I actually picked C 99% of the time. Haha
    Kirstein Gourlay likes this.
    05-29-2018 06:16 PM
    I picked E and C mostly. Couldn't really decide which one I like better.
    05-30-2018 12:33 AM
    I chose C in all cases.
    05-30-2018 02:19 AM
    I picked C for most pics, but I could tell that was the Pixel... Especially when the portrait popped up. HDR+ pics just stand out.. they are so much better balanced.
    05-30-2018 07:40 AM
    C and E for me.
    05-30-2018 03:41 PM
    I picked the Galaxy in all cases except for the very first photo. The Pixel's shots both in this video and from my own shooting experience come out too dark. The detail in the Galaxy was fantastic and the exposure and color seemed pleasing to my eye.
    I feel like I bought the wrong phone. :-(
    05-31-2018 08:25 PM
    I picked the Galaxy in all cases except for the very first photo. The Pixel's shots both in this video and from my own shooting experience come out too dark. The detail in the Galaxy was fantastic and the exposure and color seemed pleasing to my eye.
    I feel like I bought the wrong phone. :-(
    Could just be the way you prefer photos
    05-31-2018 08:49 PM
34 12