Blind Test! Be Honest Which Camera Did You Pick?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
TBH. I kept choosing C on most of them. A few of them (like the weird fire thing w/ a light) I chose differently.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely see the increased dynamic range of the Pixel (although he didn't push that really hard), and the Pixel does portrait mode deeper (I'd already discovered that with my own pixel). None of them did the Android well, but I think he had the white balance a bit off on that shot on all of them.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I can definitely see the increased dynamic range of the Pixel (although he didn't push that really hard), and the Pixel does portrait mode deeper (I'd already discovered that with my own pixel). None of them did the Android well, but I think he had the white balance a bit off on that shot on all of them.
Possibly but I think it's a great representation of how the average user uses the camera.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

He said he didn't do anything when taking .. all auto. So it was whatever the camera decided.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did prefer C in most of the shots, but I also liked A most of the time. Once I saw that was the OnePlus 6 I was white surprised. E was my third choice.

I also mistook the iPhone X for the Huawei P20 Pro.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
The warts and all processing on C in the last set, where every tiny bump on Brownlee's forehead was captured in stark relief, fingered that one as the 2 XL. But I was bouncing back and forth between C and E set by set and never settled on a clear winner. At the outset, I was guessing that B was the S9 because of how vivid the hydrant was and how much brighter some of those shots were. No surprise, I guess, that Apple would try to match its main competitor punch for punch: same AMOLED panel; same bright, juicy images, just a tad yellower.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I picked C for most of the shots. My 2nd choice was E.

I thought for sure B was Galaxy S9+ because every shot was oversaturated.
I thought E was Apple X.
I figured D was the Huwei because they were consistently the worst shots.
That left A as the OnePlus 6.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Originally Posted by Rukbat"

He said he didn't do anything when taking .. all auto. So it was whatever the camera decided.
That's exactly what I meant. The scene wasn't balanced, with all the white and red, so the "white" screen in the background showed up as yellow. But since the lighting wasn't white, you can't get the color balance to any setting that would balance the whole shot. (It's the sort of thing that drives not only photographers, but labs, bonkers. A lab once contacted a friend to tell him that the reason his film was still not in his hands was that they couldn't figure out how to color balance so that his Spitz didn't show up green. [The dog's fur had been dyed a bright green.])

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Going with just my gut feeling as the video rolled D (the Huawei) had three wins, vs. C (the Pixel) with 2, and E (Galaxy S9) with 2. I even gave B, the iPhone X, one win. However, most of the scenes were nothing I would normally shoot much of. I am mostly scenics, in great lighting, which means sunset, sunrise, special skies, etc. I try to avoid shooting stuff in flat lighting, which most of them were taken in.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I ended up picking the iPhone X and pixel tied on most shots. I was pretty surprised because don’t usually like iPhone cameras but guess I was wrong.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was all over the place, probably C was my favorite, but I often liked E and A. If I had to put them in order it would be C, then E, then A. I never picked B or D!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I picked C most of the time. The first one was B. I was a toss up between B and C but the last few photos C was the clear winner. I hated E. And the others were not that great when compared to B and C. Was relieved when C turned out to be the glorious Pixel 2