Pixel 2 wifi hotspot is invisible to the world!!!

The.Walrus

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I cannot get to share my data connection using my Pixel 2 (or my older Nexus 5X), with almost any other device. However I can with an iphone. All using the same carrier.
I can connect to my Samsung tablet, but not to my Dell laptop or my car's headunit (which is the one I really want to conect to).
The inconsistencies are so bogus, that I don't know where to start. I had a portable hotspot which connected, but sincce it was not reliable I returned it. Using that same sim card I cannot connect with the Nexus.
I suspect some setting in th phones, but I have no idea where to start.
The Pixel 2 is running Android 8.1.0
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Go under hotspot and then advanced. Ensure you're using the 2.4 band just in case since it's the most compatible with older devices.

14edd887bf648601bdab40197a27b6f7.jpg

deltaTgm

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
I have 10GB/month .. more then enough if you don't stream movies. it is $25 bucks. you can't get 1 gb for $25 buck with any other carriers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have 10GB/month .. more then enough if you don't stream movies. it is $25 bucks. you can't get 1 gb for $25 buck with any other carriers.

Yeah definitely good if you are a light user. I couldn't fathom such low usage so not worth for me lol :p.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah definitely good if you are a light user. I couldn't fathom such low usage so not worth for me lol :p.
I have the 2GB/month pl;an - $15. Almost all of my internet work on the phone is at home, so I don't need mobile data. If I'm out driving for a while (2 minutes to get groceries isn't long enough to worry about), I stream NPR, which uses almost nothing. I normally use between 50MB and 100MB/month. (Maps runs on saved maps, I'll get emails when I';m out - which is rarely - but not much else.)

And I probably download 50GB/month or more to test almost every app I give anyone any advice on - but that's all wifi. (Oh, yeah, and a full manufacturer ROM file every month, which is running around 1.6GB - again, on wifi.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the 2GB/month pl;an - $15. Almost all of my internet work on the phone is at home, so I don't need mobile data. If I'm out driving for a while (2 minutes to get groceries isn't long enough to worry about), I stream NPR, which uses almost nothing. I normally use between 50MB and 100MB/month. (Maps runs on saved maps, I'll get emails when I';m out - which is rarely - but not much else.)

And I probably download 50GB/month or more to test almost every app I give anyone any advice on - but that's all wifi. (Oh, yeah, and a full manufacturer ROM file every month, which is running around 1.6GB - again, on wifi.)

Yeah I can't do that. On an average weekend day I can use 1 GB + just being out and about... let alone a real work day lol.

I have unlimited everything w/ 15 GB hotspot for $33 a month (on Verizon). I ain't complaining :).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited everything w/ 15 GB hotspot for $33 a month (on Verizon).
I guess you're special - I don't see a plan vaguely resembling that on the Verizon website. Best I can do is $20 for a device and $20 for a measly 2GB.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not special.. just hopped on the unlimited plan when it was announced. It's basically the Verizon Beyond Unlimited plan at a cheaper rate.

The cheaper rate + a lot of lines = splitting up the cost for each line is cheap. My overall bill is about $360 or so for 9 lines. With family and such we each pay our own share.. my line is 33 bucks.

We basically split the line costs and then you pay.. of course you pay your own phone payments so that could be a thing to add in. I have no phone payment at the moment so mine is just line.
I guess you're special - I don't see a plan vaguely resembling that on the Verizon website. Best I can do is $20 for a device and $20 for a measly 2GB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969