Forbes article praises GP2XL Display

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This is an example of exactly how Forbes is so full of BS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...ets-better-with-newer-build-review-long-term/

First, most people never had the display issues that Forbes and others complained about. Second, nothing changed in color profiles between units other than the software update that allows people to choose less accurate colors if they want them. Third, the P2XL display is not more accurate, on sRGB or DCI-P3 or on white point, than the iPhone X, which is to date, the most accurate display ever made.

The P2XL display is pretty good, for most users, but Forbes is completely full of BS in their fake analysis of why. I for one am not willing to take their praise, even though I also believe a similar conclusion, as they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've always despised Forbes for their ****ty articles, article titled, and overall BS angles they push. I feel like it's partially a site for old people and a clickbait cesspool.

I didn't care for the display quality on my launch unit P2XL but it had nothing to do with colorful profiles. I've seen pictures of better quality displays, side-by-side, but never in person seen one. I plan on ordering a Pixel 3 XL, unless it has a curved screen which is unlikely, hoping the display has no issues like the 2 XL did.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Forbes is a financial magazine. Reading about technical aspects of a cellphone on Forbes is like reading an article about food poisoning in Money magazine. (How thrilled would people be about a magazine called Cellphone Technical Specs writing an article about which money fund to invest in? I certainly wouldn't take it seriously. Or complain that they didn't know what they're talking about. If it weren't the April issue, I'd probably just stop reading it.)

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Forbes is a financial magazine. Reading about technical aspects of a cellphone on Forbes is like reading an article about food poisoning in Money magazine. (How thrilled would people be about a magazine called Cellphone Technical Specs writing an article about which money fund to invest in? I certainly wouldn't take it seriously. Or complain that they didn't know what they're talking about. If it weren't the April issue, I'd probably just stop reading it.)

I linked this with comments because Forbes, BGR and others are consistently being linked in the forums as sources of information. Based on this article, several other blogs did a second review of the device as well, and several of them indicated similar conclusions about newer build dates, etc. IMO the industry at large is not familiar with the incredible ineptitude of Forbes as an authority in the tech sector.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am glad to hear the displays have gotten better. I hope this trent continues for the Pixel 3.

My screen isn't terrible but its not great either

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Display -- improved: Google and LG, the OLED display supplier, apparently have ironed out the display issues that existed on the early builds. The build I'm using now (dated late January 2018) has a better display: colors* are no longer muted, they're deeper, more vibrant than the build I got back in November. In short, it now feels like the high-quality OLED display that Google should have had at the beginning.

I'm reading this as: "My newer unit had a more vibrant display. I lack the degree of understanding of technology to know that I could simply have adjusted the color setting of my original one when the update came out to deliver the exact same 'improvement' as my newer device. Good thing lacking more than very basic understanding of the subject doesn't stop me from writing articles."

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm reading this as: "My newer unit had a more vibrant display. I lack the degree of understanding of technology to know that I could simply have adjusted the color setting of my original one when the update came out to deliver the exact same 'improvement' as my newer device. Good thing lacking more than very basic understanding of the subject doesn't stop me from writing articles."
Exactly

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I linked this with comments because Forbes, BGR and others are consistently being linked in the forums as sources of information. Based on this article, several other blogs did a second review of the device as well, and several of them indicated similar conclusions about newer build dates, etc. IMO the industry at large is not familiar with the incredible ineptitude of Forbes as an authority in the tech sector.

BGR is the equivalent of a tabloid.