Pixel 2XL Still A Good Buy?

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a OnePlus 6 and it's a nice phone but still bouncing back and forth maybe ordering a Pixel 2 XL and returning the OnePlus.
Is the Pixel still a good buy a little over 6 months in?
I'd finance it through Google but at almost a $1000 should I just wait for the Pixel 3 in 5 months and sell the OnePlus at that time?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I would say yes, but would suggest considering buying one secondhand. If you're looking at a total of close to $1,000, I'm assuming you're looking at the 128GB model? Those are generally selling on Swappa in 'mint' condition in the $600 range, and sealed 'new in box' from sellers with solid sales feedback from $700.

Alternatively, instead of buying directly from the Google Store, look at other retailers, especially if you are (and expect to remain) a Verizon customer.

Compared to paying the full retail through Google, the wait for the 3 XL may be worth it. The Pixel 3 will probably offer a much larger display than the Pixel 2, and if it's big enough for you, would probably be very, very much less expensive. If not, the Pixel 3... well, we'll have to wait for more details and see if Google continues to ask similar premium pricing (though as that release approaches, if they still have sizable inventory, they may well begin discounting the 2's.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded my wife from her first gen Pixel to a second gen Pixel 2 XL.

Fantastic buy.

I got it for $650 via Best Buy, and if I don't upgrade that line for 24 months, it'll end up being $350 ($200 instant savings and $300 in bill credit savings).

Last edited:

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The $1000 is actually the phone and preferred care.
Is the preferred care worth it? If not, it might make my decision easier because that really shot the price up.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Is the preferred care worth it? If not, it might make my decision easier because that really shot the price up.
The P2 now comes with 2 year warranty. I suppose preferred care may cover accidents? I don't know if there are other providers of mobile phone insurance that may cover accidental damage for less. I am in the UK so we have different options.

But the P2 XL is a great phone. The best I have ever owned (and I have been buying phones since the early 1990s).

Good luck deciding

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Id wait. Why spend all that money on last generation even if you could get it a little cheaper. Might as well spend the little extra and gett he latest and greatest.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Id wait. Why spend all that money on last generation even if you could get it a little cheaper. Might as well spend the little extra and gett he latest and greatest.

While I do see your point, sometimes there are not enough advantages a newer iteration has over the previous one to justify an upgrade that would be more expensive.

However, upgrade decisions and reasoning are subjective and so it would all boil down to the individual user.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Basically it's $129 for an extra 6 months of warranty (bringing it to 30 months total) and the ability to file up to two claims for accidental damage, each requiring a $99 deductible...

While there's always the argument that even with care accidents happen... If you have been good in avoiding damage in the past, you're essentially paying over 20/month for a 6 month extension at a time that the phone is over 2 years old and devalued substantially. Personally I'd skip it and have that $129 to put towards the 'next phone.'

And if you do have an incident like a cracked screen, with the policy you're already invested for $228 to get it fixed ($129 for the policy, $99 for the deductible)... The 'Google-authorized' service center charges $219 for the same (https://www.ubreakifix.com/google-repair/google-pixel-2-xl-repair). Essentially unless you break it more than once, you're overpaying.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Currently still among the best, if not the best, phone available. I'd have a hard time getting it now because of how near the 3 is, but if there's a good deal I'd still probably jump on it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just upgraded my wide from her first gen Pixel to a second gen Pixel 2 XL.

Fantastic buy.

I got it for $650 via Best Buy, and if I don't upgrade that line for 24 months, it'll end up being $350 ($200 instant savings and $300 in bill credit savings).

I hope your wife doesn't see your post

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I bought a OnePlus 6 and it's a nice phone but still bouncing back and forth maybe ordering a Pixel 2 XL and returning the OnePlus.
Is the Pixel still a good buy a little over 6 months in?
I'd finance it through Google but at almost a $1000 should I just wait for the Pixel 3 in 5 months and sell the OnePlus at that time?

Can you return the OnePlus?
That would be a big factor in my decision.
I would not buy the 2xl now if are a jumper because you will be itching for the 3xl.
Your best option if you want the 2xl is to get one used off Swappa and then sell it on Swappa and buy the 3xl. Only downside is buying used is slightly risky because you don't know what you're getting till you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89