Pixel 2 Camera - Just wow! pulls in light, instant focus

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from a work trip to Kenya. Unlike last time, I only took my new Pixel and used Project Fi (incredible carrier for travelling BTW). This was my first trip with the Pixel.

The camera was simply AMAZING. Yeah, you read all the reviews, camera is tops, blah blah. But, for me and I assume most users, you don't really put it through extreme conditions that might highlight differences between previous phones in the same situations. All flagship phones have really good cameras.

This this kicked a**! I used a Galaxy last year. The Pixel did much better. I went places where they don't even have electric light and the shots were fantastic. It's like it sucked in all the light available and splashed it onto the image - really well. The roads are terrible and you are bouncing around all the time, I don't think one shot was blurry. Focus was instantaneous. Video stabilization was very good. Colors were great.

My colleagues started saying, "let Paul shoot this because that phone is taking the best pictures."

Sorry, I had to gush about this because many people come here with problems but this thread is all about positive!

Here's an example. There were a couple of light bulbs in this room. Overall, it was dim with light sneaking in through the walls here and there.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2 Camera - Just wow! Sucks in lights, instant focus

When I clicked on your image and looked at the actual size I wouldn't have believed it was made with a cell phone camera! Your trip sounds amazing!

I love my Pixel 2 XL too!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

The quality is awesome. Really shows us what you were experiencing. Thanks for sharing.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I've been doing a lot more with my Pixel 2 camera lately too. The low light has really impressed me. We were at an evening gathering and when it got dark there was a bonfire and I took a pic of my wife and her friends with her iPhone 8 and it really struggled. Did some pics with my Pixel 2, including selfies with the wife and they were fantastic. Quick focus and great detail in most lighting conditions have me really loving this thing just for the camera.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

And here I was reading the thread title and thinking this was going to be a thread ripping the Pixel 2 camera! "Sucks in light! Instant focus sucks!"

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

And here I was reading the thread title and thinking this was going to be a thread ripping the Pixel 2 camera! "Sucks in light! Instant focus sucks!"

There's only one sucks in the title but I had the same intital reaction

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I know there's another thread of just pictures but here's just one more example. It was slightly overcast on this day. The sun was peaking in and out of the clouds all afternoon. Again, the Pixel "swallowed" up all the light to create a much more uniform photo.

I just snapped this. Auto settings. Nothing special.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Again, you have to click on the image to see the original and appreciate what a great camera we have with the Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The camera on this makes it hard to go to other phones. iPhone X does well but the Pixel for those double click home button and snap are just amazing.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

The camera on this makes it hard to go to other phones. iPhone X does well but the Pixel for those double click home button and snap are just amazing.
It's amazing even with all the latest flagships, Pixel still continues to take the best pics that too with a single camera

I'm so eager to see what they can do with Pixel 3 to up the stakes.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

The Pixel truly does take ridiculously awesome photos.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

It's amazing even with all the latest flagships, Pixel still continues to take the best pics that too with a single camera.

Software. That's really the beginning and end of it. Google is miles ahead of everyone else when it comes to image processing. The other OEMs are slapping extra cameras in their phones because they don't have the coding chops to do it with just one.

Google extracts every ounce of information these tiny sensors can pick up and spit out brilliant images with ease... No fussing with settings, worrying about modes, just point, click, enjoy.

Here, silly little image I took today.. details for days

e021f619e979b2fa7c2bc49c60abc02c.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

title threw me off. Lol. thought this was going to be about the Pixel sucking in well-lit photos.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

title threw me off. Lol. thought this was going to be about the Pixel sucking in well-lit photos.

Yeah the OP realized after they started and doesn't know how to change it. Gathers in light would be more appropriate