I'm sick and tired of this. Why in God's name does the YouTube app have to be front and centre if you want the video to play without interruption?

At the very least what the hell happened to the window in window thing like Google Maps gives you?
    06-09-2018 10:06 AM
    Because they want you to pay for YouTube Red.
    06-09-2018 10:14 AM
    Yup. It comes with YouTube Red, which at least for now you also get free if you use Google Music.
    06-09-2018 10:17 AM
    Pay for YouTube red or get vanced version from xda.
    06-09-2018 10:59 AM
    I've had red for so long with music that I didn't even remember you couldn't from the base version just like I forget there's commercials. worth the 10 bucks
    06-09-2018 11:02 AM
    I've had red for so long with music that I didn't even remember you couldn't from the base version just like I forget there's commercials. worth the 10 bucks
    Yeah personally I feel YouTube red is the best monthly subscription service I have. Spend so much time on YouTube so ad free is great and other added features. Top of that music subscription comes along with it which is added bonus.
    06-09-2018 01:46 PM
    agreed if you can, YouTube red is worth it.
    06-10-2018 12:35 AM
    I can. See below.

Do you have YouTube Red? If not then that's why you can't.

I'm sick and tired of this. Why in God's name does the YouTube app have to be front and centre if you want the video to play without interruption?

At the very least what the hell happened to the window in window thing like Google Maps gives you?
    06-10-2018 10:18 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Red does not exist yet in the UK so I have to suffer with this rubbish.
    06-10-2018 10:23 AM
    It's 2018 and we still can't read ToS... as others have stated, it's because that's a paid feature. If your phone supports floating windows like Samsung's phones, then you can sort-of get around that (the video will play in the floating window but it's not as 'clean' as playing on PiP).
    06-10-2018 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Red does not exist yet in the UK so I have to suffer with this rubbish.
    I also hate not been able to do that, should be added, don't see why only red would have that. I understand people pay for red but, they do have other stuff, mainly, no commercials.

Anyway, countries where they don't offer red, should at least get the pip option.
    06-10-2018 10:30 AM
    My understanding was that YouTube would automatically bring this ability with the launch of Oreo. Particularly on Pixel phones.
    06-10-2018 10:32 AM
    It is there for most apps. For YouTube they just made it a Red feature. Below are the benefits of the YouTube Red page.

My understanding was that YouTube would automatically bring this ability with the launch of Oreo. Particularly on Pixel phones.
    06-10-2018 11:10 AM
    It does work if you watch YouTube videos in Chrome browser.
    06-10-2018 05:18 PM
    It does work if you watch YouTube videos in Chrome browser.
    This. Using the browser is the only legit workaround for locales where Red isn't yet offered.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-11-2018 06:34 AM
    I also hate not been able to do that, should be added, don't see why only red would have that. I understand people pay for red but, they do have other stuff, mainly, no commercials.

Anyway, countries where they don't offer red, should at least get the pip option.
    Google (who owns YouTube) is a private company in the political sense. They get to decide what to include in their apps, and what has to be paid for. So there is no, "they should do this" or "they should include that." They should do what they feel is in the best interest of the company, and sometimes that doesn't mesh with consumer demand.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    06-12-2018 02:35 AM
    Well someone works for Google
    06-12-2018 02:54 AM
    Well someone works for Google
    Not a chance in heck would I work there. I just know how a free market works. Lol
    SpookDroid likes this.
    06-12-2018 02:59 AM
    Google (who owns YouTube) is a private company in the political sense. They get to decide what to include in their apps, and what has to be paid for. So there is no, "they should do this" or "they should include that." They should do what they feel is in the best interest of the company, and sometimes that doesn't mesh with consumer demand.
    LOL
    I get that, my point of view still stands for something many of us want.
    They are free to do whatever they want with their products and the people are free to ask for whatever they want.
    Doesn't mean it has to happen as expected.
    06-22-2018 10:00 PM
    LOL
    I get that, my point of view still stands for something many of us want.
    They are free to do whatever they want with their products and the people are free to ask for whatever they want.
    Doesn't mean it has to happen as expected.
    Samsung floating Windows work with Youtube.
    STARGATE and SpookDroid like this.
    06-22-2018 11:28 PM
    Looks like Google heard people's complaints. .

https://www.androidcentral.com/youtu...ube-premiumred
    SpookDroid likes this.
    06-27-2018 12:29 PM
    Cool! Works on both of my devices! Pixel 2 XL and Samsung Tab S3, both running Oreo....
    06-27-2018 02:22 PM