Please weigh in on your Pixel 2XL vs/and/or Note8 experience . . .

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your input (up to this point). I haven't decided yet because I'm apparently in that space where I'm the only one who can decide and I am indecisive about what is most important to me.
I'm sure I'm not alone in this but my highest priorities are split, I want a high quality screen, which means Note, but some have said the pixel screen is good enough. And I value clean software (I'm used to Moto phones), which means Pixel, but many have said Samsung's features can be useful or disabled. My third priority is battery life, although that seems to be a push between these two. I also *think* I'd like the s-pen functionality, although many have said it was nice for a while but now they don't use it.
So there it is . . I was hoping there would be some 'silver bullet' input that made me say 'thats it's, but what I probably need to do is just go down to a store and play around with them (I live pretty far away for any store like that), but what I hate about that is I can never get a good hand feel for the phone because of all the security cabling on them, and it's hard to get an idea of 'usage feel/flow' because it doesn't have my apps on it. . . Wow, reading back on this sounds like a mess and a lot of first world problems, eh?
tl:dr . . Thank you
If battery life is important to you, I'd lean towards the Pixel 2 XL. It's standby time is awesome. The Note has a smaller battery, and terrible standby time.

I recently did an experiment with my S9+ (same battery size as XL 2) and Pixel XL 2. I did exactly the same thing on both phones all day. Same emails, YouTube etc. The Pixel won hands down because anytime I wasn't using the phones, the Samsung drained much more than the Pixel did.

This was also my experience with the Note, except I sold it and switched to the S9+ because the Note's battery was 3,200 mAH and it just wouldn't last me through the day with my usage. Always had to charge it at least once a day.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If battery life is important to you, I'd lean towards the Pixel 2 XL. It's standby time is awesome. The Note has a smaller battery, and terrible standby time.

I recently did an experiment with my S9+ (same battery size as XL 2) and Pixel XL 2. I did exactly the same thing on both phones all day. Same emails, YouTube etc. The Pixel won hands down because anytime I wasn't using the phones, the Samsung drained much more than the Pixel did.

This was also my experience with the Note, except I sold it and switched to the S9+ because the Note's battery was 3,200 mAH and it just wouldn't last me through the day with my usage. Always had to charge it at least once a day.

That is super helpful, thank you. Coming from a z2play I'm used to 6-7 hours of screen on time, and while I know I'll never hit that with either of these phones I would just be more comfortable having more battery life than less. I probably don't "need" that much screen on time, I'm just not very careful about alot of settings because I don't have to be.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
That is super helpful, thank you. Coming from a z2play I'm used to 6-7 hours of screen on time, and while I know I'll never hit that with either of these phones I would just be more comfortable having more battery life than less. I probably don't "need" that much screen on time, I'm just not very careful about alot of settings because I don't have to be.
Yeah, you'll notice a huge drop in battery coming from a Z2 Play to the Note 8. The Play is insane battery wise, not just because of having a bigger battery, but also because if had a less powerful and therefore less energy consuming processor. Motorola gambled (I think well), that not everyone needs the Snapdragon 835. Some could live with the 635 and enough RAM, and would get much better life in light of that. The only phones that comes close to that battery life wise are the Huawei P20 Pro or Mate 10 Pro with their 4,000 mAH batteries, the iPhone 7 Plus/ 8 Plus, and the Blackberry Key 2. But the XL 2 is significantly closer to that than the Note 8.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you'll notice a huge drop in battery coming from a Z2 Play to the Note 8. The Play is insane battery wise, not just because of having a bigger battery, but also because if had a less powerful and therefore less energy consuming processor. Motorola gambled (I think well), that not everyone needs the Snapdragon 835. Some could live with the 635 and enough RAM, and would get much better life in light of that. The only phones that comes close to that battery life wise are the Huawei P20 Pro or Mate 10 Pro with their 4,000 mAH batteries, the iPhone 7 Plus/ 8 Plus, and the Blackberry Key 2. But the XL 2 is significantly closer to that than the Note 8.

Yeah, there's also that old school part of me that wants to try the BB Key2, but I know that eventually I would want my screen real estate back . . . But the battery life there will most likely be phenomenal

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your input (up to this point). I haven't decided yet because I'm apparently in that space where I'm the only one who can decide and I am indecisive about what is most important to me.
I'm sure I'm not alone in this but my highest priorities are split, I want a high quality screen, which means Note, but some have said the pixel screen is good enough. And I value clean software (I'm used to Moto phones), which means Pixel, but many have said Samsung's features can be useful or disabled. My third priority is battery life, although that seems to be a push between these two. I also *think* I'd like the s-pen functionality, although many have said it was nice for a while but now they don't use it.
So there it is . . I was hoping there would be some 'silver bullet' input that made me say 'thats it', but what I probably need to do is just go down to a store and play around with them (I live pretty far away for any store like that), but what I hate about that is I can never get a good hand feel for the phone because of all the security cabling on them, and it's hard to get an idea of 'usage feel/flow' because it doesn't have my apps on it. . . Wow, reading back on this sounds like a mess and a lot of first world problems, eh?
tl:dr . . Thank you 😀

I know how you feel. I was torn between the LG V30 and the Pixel 2. It was a very difficult decision to make; and I think the reason for it being so difficult is the same for you: you would be happy with either device. It is not as if it is a clear-cut choice; because either option would work for you.

With regards to the Pixel 2 XL screen, do not let those negative "reviews" of the screen affect your decision too much. People will write about, post, and discuss negative reviews of products more often than positive ones; and in the same fashion, some people are more likely to come to forums like these to ask for help/to discuss problems than they are to post praise reports. Burn-in and image retention can happen on any device given the opportunity; and each individual Pixel 2 XL unit is different anyway - if one has a slight red tint, then many more may have no tint or a tint that isn't noticeable. It all depends on how you yourself perceive the screen to be. If you like it, awesome! :) If not, Google will exchange it.

I agree! Going to the store and playing with the devices would help (even with the cables, which I know is quite annoying); and watching review videos may make your decision a little simpler. Good luck!

dbulick

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I have both as well. The Note does have a better display, but it's not miles ahead. The headphone jack is nice too.

To me that's where the advantage for the Note ends. Pixel has much better battery, a better camera (though mostly more consistent really). I personally like the design of the Pixel, and really like being able to get into beta programs for next Android version.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you have the "panda" version? I love the look but I thought I remember reading that the coating was different than the black, more slippery . . And has the white been difficult to keep clean? (although I imagine it will be in a case)

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Do any of you have the "panda" version? I love the look but I thought I remember reading that the coating was different than the black, more slippery . . And has the white been difficult to keep clean? (although I imagine it will be in a case)
I have the Panda version and haven't had any issues with it, but I use a see through case. It's a pretty phone in that color combo.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Panda version and haven't had any issues with it, but I use a see through case. It's a pretty phone in that color combo.

Using a clear/transparent case with the Panda is an excellent choice. I bought a Dbrand skin that I made to look like a Panda skin because I wanted the same look for my smaller Pixel 2.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't see it as a mid-range phone at all. I had an iPhone X and a Pixel 2 XL but ended up getting rid of the iPhone X because I much prefer the Pixel overall.
Agreed. It's most definitely not a mid-range phone. It competes well and beats most of this year's flagships.

dieselhazza

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I had the Note 8 which is a beautiful phone no doubt. However I couldn't stand the battery life so I returned it.

I then got myself a Pixel 2 XL and ohh boy battery life is much better and is much better optimized so better fluid experience.

You decide what matters for you and make your choice carefully.
Ps Pixel 3 XL and Note 9 are both around the corner.

Leaks suggest 4000 mah battery for Note 9 so that should Definitely help.
The Pixel 3 XL would be an Amazing phone too so if you can wait I suggest you do

Best of luck

Last edited:

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the Note 8 which is a beautiful phone no doubt. However I couldn't stand the battery life so I returned it.

I then got myself a Pixel 2 XL and ohh boy battery life is much better and is much better optimized so better fluid experience.

You decide what matters for you and make your choice carefully.
Ps Pixel 3 XL and Note 9 are both around the corner.

Leaks suggest 4000 mah battery for Note 9 so that should Definitely help.
The Pixel 3 XL would be an Amazing phone too so if you can wait I suggest you do

Best of luck

Thank you. Yes, those other phones are right around the corner but they will be at high prices, the reason for my consideration is an offer I currently have on my carrier for Pixel 2xl at 149 and Note8 at 249.
Pretty sure at this point I'm going pixel 2xl, because even though the 3 will be out soon the 2 will have the same software whereas the note 8 likely won't get upgraded to what the note9 has for a while.
I guess my only hang-up still is the screen, my eyes aren't the greatest and I love the bright crisp display on Samsung phones, but I'm told the pixel's screen isn't as bad as I've heard so I'll have to see for myself I guess.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. Yes, those other phones are right around the corner but they will be at high prices, the reason for my consideration is an offer I currently have on my carrier for Pixel 2xl at 149 and Note8 at 249.
Pretty sure at this point I'm going pixel 2xl, because even though the 3 will be out soon the 2 will have the same software whereas the note 8 likely won't get upgraded to what the note9 has for a while.
I guess my only hang-up still is the screen, my eyes aren't the greatest and I love the bright crisp display on Samsung phones, but I'm told the pixel's screen isn't as bad as I've heard so I'll have to see for myself I guess.

The Pixel 2 XL has a higher screen density 538 vs 521 for the Note 8, so it's technically sharper. To my old eyes the Pixel 2 XL has the sharper screen. I prefer real life colors over Samsung oversaturation. I have a Pixel 2 XL.

You really do need to go to a Verizon or Best Buy and see for yourself.

dieselhazza

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I was also concerned with the screen but I have the screen balance app which I tuned the colors just the way I want it. I love the display it is perfect for my need. I suggested you try them both in store

dspeersrev

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I have a pixel 2 and tried a 2xl. I returned the 2xl because it had the same trouble that the 2 did, (2xl was still in return period), crappy call quality. I was shifting SIM cards between att and Verizon and trying all three phones, note 8 included. there was no comparison, both the 2 and the 2xl, had bad call quality. the Note 8 is very clear and consistent. battery life was better on the 2xl, but not that much to make a difference. I usually plug in during the day, even with an iPhone 8 plus, which puts most other phones to shame. I have had the 8 for 4 + months and it is running Oreo and latest updates from Samsung, with very little trouble to speak of. samsung's hardware is solid and they provide means by which you can do what you need with battery life. I like the pixel 2, but still do not keep my sim in the phone. bad call quality on att and Verizon is the reason. I need my phone to make calls. both phones are good, but I prefer the Note 8

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a pixel 2 and tried a 2xl. I returned the 2xl because it had the same trouble that the 2 did, (2xl was still in return period), crappy call quality. I was shifting SIM cards between att and Verizon and trying all three phones, note 8 included. there was no comparison, both the 2 and the 2xl, had bad call quality. the Note 8 is very clear and consistent. battery life was better on the 2xl, but not that much to make a difference. I usually plug in during the day, even with an iPhone 8 plus, which puts most other phones to shame. I have had the 8 for 4 + months and it is running Oreo and latest updates from Samsung, with very little trouble to speak of. samsung's hardware is solid and they provide means by which you can do what you need with battery life. I like the pixel 2, but still do not keep my sim in the phone. bad call quality on att and Verizon is the reason. I need my phone to make calls. both phones are good, but I prefer the Note 8

For over 6 months I've had excellent call quality with my Pixel 2 XL. However my reference has been limited to Sprint and then changing to Google Fi.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Strange....I have never had issues with call quality with the Pixel 2 XL except in dead areas