06-27-2018 12:30 AM
28 12
tools
    I recently obtained a Pixel 2 XL after almost a decade of being exclusive to Motorola. So far I'm pretty happy with this phone but there is one thing that is REALLY bugging me. The flashlight. I am so used to doing the chop motion to activate my flashhlight instantly. I have had this phone for less than a week and I've found myself needing this ability over a dozen times now. I've Google searched this question and only see posts about it on various websites from 2017. It's well into 2018 now. Has anybody found A GOOD way to do this? I've tried some suggested apps and they don't seem to work right. It's like there will be a significant delay, or you have to light up the lock screen first, etc. At this point it doesn't even have to be a chop motion. Something like pressing the power button twice for camera kind of thing would be fine with me. I don't know why this is such a hard thing to accomplish with what is so far a really great device.
    06-22-2018 09:36 AM
    I recently obtained a Pixel 2 XL after almost a decade of being exclusive to Motorola. So far I'm pretty happy with this phone but there is one thing that is REALLY bugging me. The flashlight. I am so used to doing the chop motion to activate my flashhlight instantly. I have had this phone for less than a week and I've found myself needing this ability over a dozen times now. I've Google searched this question and only see posts about it on various websites from 2017. It's well into 2018 now. Has anybody found A GOOD way to do this? I've tried some suggested apps and they don't seem to work right. It's like there will be a significant delay, or you have to light up the lock screen first, etc. At this point it doesn't even have to be a chop motion. Something like pressing the power button twice for camera kind of thing would be fine with me. I don't know why this is such a hard thing to accomplish with what is so far a really great device.
    Activate Google Assistant and say "flashlight on"
    06-22-2018 09:55 AM
    Squeeze and say lumos (flashlight on) or nox (flashlight off)
    SylvaiNN and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    06-22-2018 10:00 AM
    I was going to mention that but it had stopped working.... seems to work again
    06-22-2018 10:51 AM
    I know that command. But let me give a scenario. It's dark in my bedroom and I need to go to work but I can't find my left sock. I don't want to wake my wife and kids up by speaking out loud. I'm in a hurry. I just need to very quickly turn on my flashhlight, retrieve the sock, and turn off the light. All faster than it would be to say those phrases out loud or to open the phone and manually turn the light on. With my old phone this could be done by chopping the phone. At this point I'd settle for pressing a button twice, like how the camera opens....
    06-22-2018 11:09 AM
    I know that command. But let me give a scenario. It's dark in my bedroom and I need to go to work but I can't find my left sock. I don't want to wake my wife and kids up by speaking out loud. I'm in a hurry. I just need to very quickly turn on my flashhlight, retrieve the sock, and turn off the light. All faster than it would be to say those phrases out loud or to open the phone and manually turn the light on. With my old phone this could be done by chopping the phone. At this point I'd settle for pressing a button twice, like how the camera opens....
    Whispering works. I also find it's not a problem to use my fingerprint sensor to unlock, swipe down and press the flashlight icon. There's another thread here somewhere about this exact topic and there are no options like you asking for.
    06-22-2018 11:50 AM
    I'm still getting used to the differences. I actually never intended to get this phone. I was content with my Moto Z². It shut down last week and would not turn back on. Just suddenly gone. Verizon offered me this Pixel 2xl as a replacement, said they couldn't give me another Z².. I have been searching for the flashlight thing. I just finally decided to ask now because all of the other people asking this question were back in 2017 when the phone was new. I was just hoping that there was a solution by now like an app or a launcher, something. It just seems so incredibly simple of a request. All phones should have this feature is my opinion.
    06-22-2018 12:18 PM
    I'm still getting used to the differences. I actually never intended to get this phone. I was content with my Moto Z². It shut down last week and would not turn back on. Just suddenly gone. Verizon offered me this Pixel 2xl as a replacement, said they couldn't give me another Z².. I have been searching for the flashlight thing. I just finally decided to ask now because all of the other people asking this question were back in 2017 when the phone was new. I was just hoping that there was a solution by now like an app or a launcher, something. It just seems so incredibly simple of a request. All phones should have this feature is my opinion.
    I had it on my Droid Maxx but always forgot to use it
    06-22-2018 03:57 PM
    At this point I'd settle for pressing a button twice, like how the camera opens....
    Do you mean something like Power Button Flashlight https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...san.powertorch
    Or if you want shake functionality you can try Flashlight https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ock.flashlight
    06-22-2018 04:00 PM
    Do you mean something like Power Button Flashlight https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...san.powertorch
    Or if you want shake functionality you can try Flashlight https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ock.flashlight
    Yes that's what I mean. I've tried these apps and have had issues with each of them. I think this is something that S Pixel needs to fix itself. I'd trade squeezing the side of my phone for a flashlight instead of assistant any day. I never have been big on using assistant type things anyway.
    06-23-2018 06:45 AM
    I'd trade squeezing the side of my phone for a flashlight instead of assistant any day.
    If that's the case then try Button Mapper https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ar2.homebutton (if I'm not mistaken it requires root if you want it to work with the screen off)
    Edit: note that it does require use of ADB to activate. Also, although I haven't tried it yet, if AOD is ON then the root requirement is probably not an issue.
    06-23-2018 10:21 AM
    I feel your pain, OP. People don't understand how convenient that chop chop is, especially when you've been used to it. I've been there, looking under the bed in the dark and on one hand and 2 knees, and only having the one hand free.

Unfortunately the lumos command seems to take a few seconds to activate, so the delay can be annoying. Remapping the squeeze with a 3rd party app will probably be the best way to go.

The brilliance of the flashlight and camera actions Motorola uses is not only are they quick but are so easy to do with taking any attention away from what you are focused on. No need to look at your phone at all, free your other hand etc.
    06-23-2018 09:59 PM
    I feel your pain, OP. People don't understand how convenient that chop chop is, especially when you've been used to it. I've been there, looking under the bed in the dark and on one hand and 2 knees, and only having the one hand free.

Unfortunately the lumos command seems to take a few seconds to activate, so the delay can be annoying. Remapping the squeeze with a 3rd party app will probably be the best way to go.

The brilliance of the flashlight and camera actions Motorola uses is not only are they quick but are so easy to do with taking any attention away from what you are focused on. No need to look at your phone at all, free your other hand etc.
    From people who have used those features and don't miss it it's not always about a lack of understanding. This is true of many features that dont exist on all phones or get removed in subsequent models. Not everyone likes the same things.
    06-23-2018 11:57 PM
    Lumos doesn't work for me. But nox does
    06-24-2018 07:30 AM
    Odd...it's working here
    06-24-2018 08:09 AM
    Odd...it's working here
    Hmmm. That's all I get
    06-24-2018 08:10 AM
    From people who have used those features and don't miss it it's not always about a lack of understanding. This is true of many features that dont exist on all phones or get removed in subsequent models. Not everyone likes the same things.
    Yeah, I understand all of that. And I know there are people that don't use a phone flashlight much, and there were Motorola owners that just couldn't get accustomed to the chop-chop motion and don't like it.

I only made that statement because some alternatives like 2-handed operations were presented as just as convenient, and while they are good alternatives they don't match the one-handed ease the OP is looking for.

Like the OP, I find myself making use of my phone flashlight a good bit. Now that I am a 2 XL user, definitely feel like I'm fumbling for it more than when I had my Moto X. Or make sure to turn it on before I get into an odd position.

But I do love my Pixel, and I knew what I was gaining and what I would miss. The fact those gestures originated from a Google-owned Motorola, and Google has adopted the wrist-twist gesture for switching cameras (not nearly as useful a use-case) I could see a future of Google picking up these gestures if Lenovo/Motorola ever abandons them.
    06-24-2018 11:42 AM
    I just press the power button to wake up the phone, then swipe down the shade, then turn on the flashlight. I don't have to unlock the phone first. I can access the shade with it locked.
    06-24-2018 02:42 PM
    Are you saying Loo-mows ? With the accent on Loo ?
    Harry Potter's author is from the UK, so you really shouldn't be having a problem.
    06-24-2018 04:45 PM
    Are you saying Loo-mows ? With the accent on Loo ?
    Harry Potter's author is from the UK, so you really shouldn't be having a problem.
    How should i pronounce it? J. k. rowling is from Scotland. A very different accent. Like a New Yorker vs someone from Mississippi.
    06-24-2018 06:01 PM
    How should i pronounce it? J. k. rowling is from Scotland. A very different accent. Like a New Yorker vs someone from Mississippi.
    I didn't know she was from Scotland! I actually did read all of her very entertaining Harry Potter books and just assumed she was English. I have no problems with "Lumos" and "Nox" on my Pixel 2 XL. I'm originally from the state of Iowa, USA, and I have what's referred to as a neutral midwest accent.
    06-26-2018 05:28 AM
    I just looked up J. K. Rowling in Wikipedia.
    She was born in Yate, Gloucestershire, England.
    Her nationality is British.
    She has a B.A. from the University of Exeter.
    She now lives in the 162-acre Killiechassie Estate, near Aberfeldy in Perthshire, Scotland.
    When I listen to her speak, I hear an English accent and no trace of a Scottish accent.
    Knightmayre90 likes this.
    06-26-2018 05:35 AM
    I just looked up J. K. Rowling in Wikipedia.
    She was born in Yate, Gloucestershire, England.
    Her nationality is British.
    She has a B.A. from the University of Exeter.
    She now lives in the 162-acre Killiechassie Estate, near Aberfeldy in Perthshire, Scotland.
    When I listen to her speak, I hear an English accent and no trace of a Scottish accent.
    Ah. I knew there was Scottish in there somewhere. I think she grew up in Scotland as well. There is a neutral English accent known as Recieved Pronounciation which the posh people use. But across England we have a wide range of regional accents. There is London/Essex which sounds like the people speaking it are stupid, then there is a Birmingham/ Black country accent which is really thick. Yorkshire accents are quite rural sounding and the Bristol accent sounds like everyone are farmers. Then we have Northern accents which are really difficult to understand, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents which are very distinct and even more. Scotland and Ireland have very different accents north and south of their countries as well.

We may be a really small island but we talk really differently within 10s of miles.

My accent is mixed. It has some Birmingham as I grew up in Warwickshire, some Scottish twang from living up there for a few years, definitely some South yorkshire as I live in Chesterfield on the border of South Yorkshire, still some London from living there for 8 years and even a bit of Jamaican Patois because my grandparents spoke it with me. And, I even have a posh voice for dealing with people who need to hear it. Product of 5 years of Private school during my teens!
    06-26-2018 10:06 AM
    sounds to me like the OP needs to tidy his house, then they'll be no need for the flashlight and he can use the chop chop for stir fries! (joking of course)
    06-26-2018 10:25 AM
    Ah. I knew there was Scottish in there somewhere. I think she grew up in Scotland as well. There is a neutral English accent known as Recieved Pronounciation which the posh people use. But across England we have a wide range of regional accents. There is London/Essex which sounds like the people speaking it are stupid, then there is a Birmingham/ Black country accent which is really thick. Yorkshire accents are quite rural sounding and the Bristol accent sounds like everyone are farmers. Then we have Northern accents which are really difficult to understand, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents which are very distinct and even more. Scotland and Ireland have very different accents north and south of their countries as well.

We may be a really small island but we talk really differently within 10s of miles.

My accent is mixed. It has some Birmingham as I grew up in Warwickshire, some Scottish twang from living up there for a few years, definitely some South yorkshire as I live in Chesterfield on the border of South Yorkshire, still some London from living there for 8 years and even a bit of Jamaican Patois because my grandparents spoke it with me. And, I even have a posh voice for dealing with people who need to hear it. Product of 5 years of Private school during my teens!
    Wikipedia has her growing up in England and not going to Scotland until she was an adult. I just now listened to her interview with Oprah Winfrey on YouTube (excellent!) where she says she went from London to a Scottish hotel to write her last Harry Potter book in order to have some solitude. In that interview her accent sounds to me like a very proper English accent and a delight to listen to. But heck, what does somebody from the state of Iowa, USA, really know about accents in the UK?

Here's a link to the J. K Rowling interview:
    06-26-2018 01:02 PM
28 12