Pixel 2 XL and Android Auto....are you kidding me

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have always gotten a USB device error when pluggiung in my Pixel 2 XL but it would alwyas then kick on Android Auto. Yesterday that stopeed working. I called Crutchfield and there was an update for my Kenwood ddx6407s head unit. So I updated my radio and now get device not supported.

The p hone recognizes that its plugged in and wants the head unit to be activated, but android auto does not show up.

I have done everything:

Tried multiple cables
deleted and reinstalled the app
reset the head unit
updated the firmware on the head unit

Finally Crutchfield asked what phone I was using, I laughed and said a Pixel 2 XL, the guy on the phone said sorry, there is a known issue that the Pixel 2 does not play well with Android Auto....WTF he is joking right?

Nope went to Pixel support and was told the same thing.....

So let me get this straight, Android Auto is made by Google and so is the Pixel 2 XL and the guy from Crutchfield tells me I should have brought a Samsung or iPhone.

Talk about a poor client experience, as I type this on a Pixelbook. Somy 700 dollars I wasted on the head unit should have been spent on a different phone. Heck I plugged in my old Verizon Droid Turbo and Android Auto started right up.....How does this happen? I think this may have been the hair that broke the camel's back. I am so disappointed and the Google support was so unhelpful with the comment of "maybe there will be a fix in the upcoming release". Your not a start up like Essential with camera problems, you are a huge corporation that has dropped the ball. Why are there not more people making a fuss about this?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have always gotten a USB device error when pluggiung in my Pixel 2 XL but it would alwyas then kick on Android Auto. Yesterday that stopeed working. I called Crutchfield and there was an update for my Kenwood ddx6407s head unit. So I updated my radio and now get device not supported.

The p hone recognizes that its plugged in and wants the head unit to be activated, but android auto does not show up.

I have done everything:

Tried multiple cables
deleted and reinstalled the app
reset the head unit
updated the firmware on the head unit

Finally Crutchfield asked what phone I was using, I laughed and said a Pixel 2 XL, the guy on the phone said sorry, there is a known issue that the Pixel 2 does not play well with Android Auto....WTF he is joking right?

Nope went to Pixel support and was told the same thing.....

So let me get this straight, Android Auto is made by Google and so is the Pixel 2 XL and the guy from Crutchfield tells me I should have brought a Samsung or iPhone.

Talk about a poor client experience, as I type this on a Pixelbook. Somy 700 dollars I wasted on the head unit should have been spent on a different phone. Heck I plugged in my old Verizon Droid Turbo and Android Auto started right up.....How does this happen? I think this may have been the hair that broke the camel's back. I am so disappointed and the Google support was so unhelpful with the comment of "maybe there will be a fix in the upcoming release". Your not a start up like Essential with camera problems, you are a huge corporation that has dropped the ball. Why are there not more people making a fuss about this?

Sounds more of a problem with your head unit then Google TBH. Only reason I say this is because I use Android Auto in my truck every day. I can use it in my brother's Honda or my gf's without a hiccup as well. I assume most aren't making a fuss because it is only you + your head unit combo that I have heard of having this issue.

You seem quick to blame Google. Did they state exactly why it doesn't work? It very well could be that head unit manufacturer not doing something on their end to fix it (for whatever reason).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sounds more of a problem with your head unit then Google TBH. Only reason I say this is because I use Android Auto in my truck every day. I can use it in my brother's Honda or my gf's without a hiccup as well. I assume most aren't making a fuss because it is only you + your head unit combo that I have heard of having this issue.

You seem quick to blame Google. Did they state exactly why it doesn't work? It very well could be that head unit manufacturer not doing something on their end to fix it (for whatever reason).

Agreed, mine works fine in my vehicle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If it was the head unit why would the Droid Turbo work? Google stated it was a known issue.

Head unit could have an issue with Pixel that it doesn't like and needs to be updated. As I said I use mine every single time I hop into my truck. On Android O and Android P beta -- both no issues with Android Auto + my Pixel 2 XL.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I updated to the beta and it works now. I have the option to return my Kenwood for a store credit and select another head unit. Crutchfield stated this was an issue with Android Auto and Pixel and that would not solve my issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I updated to the beta and it works now. I have the option to return my Kenwood for a store credit and select another head unit. Crutchfield stated this was an issue with Android Auto and Pixel and that would not solve my issue.
I don't know if believe I them. Just my 0.02 cents. I use it in multiple cars on O and Android P without a hiccup. Honda cars and my truck is a F150. I use it anytime I drive. Always plug the phone up and use AA.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have always gotten this message with my Pixel 2 XL but no ther phone I have tried gives this message, my brother's iphone 8 or my Moto Droid

IMG_20180625_134524.jpg

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Pixels don't have an issue with Android Auto in general, but with a couple of specific implementations of it.

Few questions:
Do you have driving mode enabled when AA is running?
Do you have USB Debugging enabled?
Do you have the AA app running while plugged in via USB?

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Turn on USB debugging, only way I could get my Pixel 2 XL to work on my Kenwood HU. It will connect and charge but AA wouldn't start up unless USB debugging was on.

bigjsturm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have thank you and did a factory reset on my phone. it works now, Waze is still a mess

I have a similar issue. Have always had a problem with my xl2 and my Pioneer AVH-2300NEX where it doesn't consistently recognize my phone. (android auto appears on my phone but not on screen). (weather card also stopped appearing). Got a little better and then I tried using a Oneplus 6 which connects every time, immediately and has the weather card.

Trying the Pixel xl2 again... Now won't recognize my phone at all. It charges, and will connect via Bluetooth for phone or music but not AA under any circumstances.