Sending back a Pixel2 with incidental cracked screen

iluvkittens

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
I have a Google live case on my phone, but the screen cracked a few months ago when it fell out of my purse.
It's worked fine until a couple days ago, when it suddenly stopped charging. Talked to Google support, tried a few things with them, but still not charging so they sent me another (refurbished) Pixel 2. I'm supposed to send the old one back now, but am hearing conflicting info about whether Google will accept it with the cracked screen. Do I need to take it to ubreakifix for a new screen first, or just send back to Google as is?
Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you did a warranty claim due to it not charging?

If so then they will accept it (most likely) but charge you some amount for it being damaged. Unless was this an insurance claim?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They will charge you then. You can't return a damaged phone on a warranty claim and get a new one. Otherwise everyone who cracks their phone would just do one.
Not an insurance claim, sorry for not clarifying that. Yes, my understanding is that it's a warranty claim.

iluvkittens

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Makes sense. It just feels silly to repair a screen on a phone broken enough in other ways that Google sent me a new one. I have no idea what Google would charge, so I'd rather just get it at done at ubreakifix. Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense. It just feels silly to repair a screen on a phone broken enough in other ways that Google sent me a new one. I have no idea what Google would charge, so I'd rather just get it at done at ubreakifix. Thanks!

Broken in other ways (like yours) with a manufacturer defect is one thing.. but to crack it other ways is another things. I have no issue and mine is a day 1 Pixel 2 XL.

Having your phone broken you can't expect a replacement as easily as I could with mine without a broken glass piece.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
did you tell them screen was cracked ? when they replaced mine for a faulty speaker they asked me if anything else was wrong with the phone.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Google live case on my phone, but the screen cracked a few months ago when it fell out of my purse.
It's worked fine until a couple days ago, when it suddenly stopped charging. Talked to Google support, tried a few things with them, but still not charging so they sent me another (refurbished) Pixel 2. I'm supposed to send the old one back now, but am hearing conflicting info about whether Google will accept it with the cracked screen. Do I need to take it to ubreakifix for a new screen first, or just send back to Google as is?
Thanks!

I'd like to see how this turns out lol

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This would be a good question to ask them directly. There are two ways it could go. They could bill you for the display repairs or they could deny the warranty claim and bill you for the full price of the phone. The reasoning for the latter would be that it's conceivable that the impact that caused the crack in the display could have also damaged internal components, such as the wires connecting the USB C port to the board.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This would be a good question to ask them directly. There are two ways it could go. They could bill you for the display repairs or they could deny the warranty claim and bill you for the full price of the phone. The reasoning for the latter would be that it's conceivable that the impact that caused the crack in the display could have also damaged internal components, such as the wires connecting the USB C port to the board.

I agree you should call them, and inquire. :) Be open and honest and hope for the best! But Mario is correct, it's likely to go in one of those 2 ways. Unlikely but possible they will just accept the phone, but I would be surprised if they did.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
For the record, any place authorized to repair the device and maintain the warranty (the warranty would be void if you have the screen replaced at an unauthorized repair shop) may also be able to repair the charging port so there would be no reason to swap out the phone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For the record, any place authorized to repair the device and maintain the warranty (the warranty would be void if you have the screen replaced at an unauthorized repair shop) may also be able to repair the charging port so there would be no reason to swap out the phone.

It's also possible/likely that the cost charged to you for the screen repair from Google is higher than the cost at a 3rd party repair shop.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just went through this. I filed a warranty replacement claim for my P2XL for Bluetooth issues and Google made me fix the broken back glass before I sent it in.

T0asT2U

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I have to do the same thing. Charging port not holding the cable properly and I have to first send the screen to get repaired for £211(!!) before they will replace it for the charging issue. Ive been with Android since the Nexus 4 and had no issues getting replacement phones before, but the insane cost of a new screen is making me think about going back to Apple. I want a good camera on my phone but there's no way I'm touching a Samsung.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have to do the same thing. Charging port not holding the cable properly and I have to first send the screen to get repaired for £211(!!) before they will replace it for the charging issue. Ive been with Android since the Nexus 4 and had no issues getting replacement phones before, but the insane cost of a new screen is making me think about going back to Apple. I want a good camera on my phone but there's no way I'm touching a Samsung.
Does Apple replace the screen at no charge if there's another issue covered under the warranty?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Does Apple replace the screen at no charge if there's another issue covered under the warranty?

I agree. I don't understand the logic of dumping a phone brand or OS ecosystem because of a need to repair damage at cost to the device owner.

The bottom line on an issue like this is that the screen comes out of the body in order to do the repair, if the screen is already cracked they can't properly repair the device.

Sometimes people are just looking for an excuse to "jump ship"...

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Nope. They charge a huge fee for replacing the screen first. When my iphone 4 needed replacing under warranty, my husband broke the screen. They charged £162 for the screen before fixing the phone. This was in 2011 or thereabouts.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope. They charge a huge fee for replacing the screen first. When my iphone 4 needed replacing under warranty, my husband broke the screen. They charged £162 for the screen before fixing the phone. This was in 2011 or thereabouts.

Yup..... No OEM would replace a phone with a cracked screen. Although I remember a friend of mine got a refurbished phone from Verizon and sent a phone with a cracked screen back. Verizon never complained but they don't do a great job of checking what you send back.