08-22-2018 09:24 AM
31 12
tools
    I have a Google live case on my phone, but the screen cracked a few months ago when it fell out of my purse.
    It's worked fine until a couple days ago, when it suddenly stopped charging. Talked to Google support, tried a few things with them, but still not charging so they sent me another (refurbished) Pixel 2. I'm supposed to send the old one back now, but am hearing conflicting info about whether Google will accept it with the cracked screen. Do I need to take it to ubreakifix for a new screen first, or just send back to Google as is?
    Thanks!
    07-07-2018 04:30 PM
    This would be a good question to ask them directly. There are two ways it could go. They could bill you for the display repairs or they could deny the warranty claim and bill you for the full price of the phone. The reasoning for the latter would be that it's conceivable that the impact that caused the crack in the display could have also damaged internal components, such as the wires connecting the USB C port to the board.
    It sounds like you did a warranty claim due to it not charging?

If so then they will accept it (most likely) but charge you some amount for it being damaged. Unless was this an insurance claim?
    07-07-2018 04:58 PM
    Not an insurance claim, sorry for not clarifying that. Yes, my understanding is that it's a warranty claim.
    07-07-2018 05:18 PM
    They will charge you then. You can't return a damaged phone on a warranty claim and get a new one. Otherwise everyone who cracks their phone would just do one.
    Not an insurance claim, sorry for not clarifying that. Yes, my understanding is that it's a warranty claim.
    07-07-2018 07:38 PM
    Makes sense. It just feels silly to repair a screen on a phone broken enough in other ways that Google sent me a new one. I have no idea what Google would charge, so I'd rather just get it at done at ubreakifix. Thanks!
    07-07-2018 07:46 PM
    Makes sense. It just feels silly to repair a screen on a phone broken enough in other ways that Google sent me a new one. I have no idea what Google would charge, so I'd rather just get it at done at ubreakifix. Thanks!
    Broken in other ways (like yours) with a manufacturer defect is one thing.. but to crack it other ways is another things. I have no issue and mine is a day 1 Pixel 2 XL.

Having your phone broken you can't expect a replacement as easily as I could with mine without a broken glass piece.
    07-07-2018 11:55 PM
    did you tell them screen was cracked ? when they replaced mine for a faulty speaker they asked me if anything else was wrong with the phone.
    07-08-2018 07:43 PM
    I have a Google live case on my phone, but the screen cracked a few months ago when it fell out of my purse.
    It's worked fine until a couple days ago, when it suddenly stopped charging. Talked to Google support, tried a few things with them, but still not charging so they sent me another (refurbished) Pixel 2. I'm supposed to send the old one back now, but am hearing conflicting info about whether Google will accept it with the cracked screen. Do I need to take it to ubreakifix for a new screen first, or just send back to Google as is?
    Thanks!
    I'd like to see how this turns out lol
    07-08-2018 07:46 PM
    This would be a good question to ask them directly. There are two ways it could go. They could bill you for the display repairs or they could deny the warranty claim and bill you for the full price of the phone. The reasoning for the latter would be that it's conceivable that the impact that caused the crack in the display could have also damaged internal components, such as the wires connecting the USB C port to the board.
    pkcable and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    07-09-2018 09:09 AM
    I agree you should call them, and inquire. Be open and honest and hope for the best! But Mario is correct, it's likely to go in one of those 2 ways. Unlikely but possible they will just accept the phone, but I would be surprised if they did.
    07-09-2018 01:01 PM
    For the record, any place authorized to repair the device and maintain the warranty (the warranty would be void if you have the screen replaced at an unauthorized repair shop) may also be able to repair the charging port so there would be no reason to swap out the phone.
    07-09-2018 02:01 PM
    For the record, any place authorized to repair the device and maintain the warranty (the warranty would be void if you have the screen replaced at an unauthorized repair shop) may also be able to repair the charging port so there would be no reason to swap out the phone.
    It's also possible/likely that the cost charged to you for the screen repair from Google is higher than the cost at a 3rd party repair shop.
    07-09-2018 02:07 PM
    It's also possible/likely that the cost charged to you for the screen repair from Google is higher than the cost at a 3rd party repair shop.
    Because it’d be an OEM display. Not some cheap Chinese knockoff
    07-09-2018 08:36 PM
    I just went through this. I filed a warranty replacement claim for my P2XL for Bluetooth issues and Google made me fix the broken back glass before I sent it in.
    hallux likes this.
    07-09-2018 08:44 PM
    Because it’d be an OEM display. Not some cheap Chinese knockoff
    This is true!
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    07-10-2018 08:33 AM
    I have to do the same thing. Charging port not holding the cable properly and I have to first send the screen to get repaired for £211(!!) before they will replace it for the charging issue. Ive been with Android since the Nexus 4 and had no issues getting replacement phones before, but the insane cost of a new screen is making me think about going back to Apple. I want a good camera on my phone but there's no way I'm touching a Samsung.
    08-13-2018 01:57 PM
    I have to do the same thing. Charging port not holding the cable properly and I have to first send the screen to get repaired for £211(!!) before they will replace it for the charging issue. Ive been with Android since the Nexus 4 and had no issues getting replacement phones before, but the insane cost of a new screen is making me think about going back to Apple. I want a good camera on my phone but there's no way I'm touching a Samsung.
    Does Apple replace the screen at no charge if there's another issue covered under the warranty?
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    08-13-2018 02:19 PM
    Does Apple replace the screen at no charge if there's another issue covered under the warranty?
    I agree. I don't understand the logic of dumping a phone brand or OS ecosystem because of a need to repair damage at cost to the device owner.

The bottom line on an issue like this is that the screen comes out of the body in order to do the repair, if the screen is already cracked they can't properly repair the device.

Sometimes people are just looking for an excuse to "jump ship"...
    08-13-2018 02:31 PM
    Nope. They charge a huge fee for replacing the screen first. When my iphone 4 needed replacing under warranty, my husband broke the screen. They charged £162 for the screen before fixing the phone. This was in 2011 or thereabouts.
    08-13-2018 04:10 PM
    Nope. They charge a huge fee for replacing the screen first. When my iphone 4 needed replacing under warranty, my husband broke the screen. They charged £162 for the screen before fixing the phone. This was in 2011 or thereabouts.
    Yup..... No OEM would replace a phone with a cracked screen. Although I remember a friend of mine got a refurbished phone from Verizon and sent a phone with a cracked screen back. Verizon never complained but they don't do a great job of checking what you send back.
    08-13-2018 04:47 PM
    Actually it can vary, depends on if you have Apple Care or not, plus the rep that you deal with MAY take pity on you. Generally screen damage is not covered, or will incur an extra charge, but Apple CAN authorize a replacement IF they want to. I had this happen. My iPad Pro screen suddenly had an inkspot one day. I left my office and it was fine, I come back and see the spot. Did someone come in to my office (say to leave a phone message) and accidently drop something on it? Did I accidently drop something on it? Anyways I went to the Apple store and was completely honest, and guess what? They replaced my iPad Pro, without charge. The guy hinted at, that it was, as he called it, "an alternate warranty replacement" I got the impression it was a 1 time thing. So I immediately bought a smart cover! lol
    08-14-2018 08:21 AM
    I am in the same situation, charging stopped working yesterday. Google did a RMA, but i have a cracked screen for more than 6 months.

So what is the consensus on this

Should i get it fixed from UBreakIFix before sending mine back? Getting it repaired from them should not void the warrany?
    08-20-2018 12:07 PM
    Should i get it fixed from UBreakIFix before sending mine back?
    Yes, definitely.

Getting it repaired from them should not void the warrany?
    It shouldn't, because that's an authorized repair center - but that's entirely up to Google's claims department.
    08-20-2018 12:09 PM
    se that's an authorized repair center - but that's entirely up to Google's claims department.
    Thanks for clarifying. Also do you know if they deny the claim, can i send the new phone back to google get my old one back ? As i don't want to spend $850 they are holding for a refurbished pixel 2 xl. i am sure i can get the charging port fixed for $100 or so.
    08-20-2018 12:14 PM
    If you're going to all the trouble of getting the screen replaced, which requires them to open the phone, why not just get the charging port replaced?
    Itsa_Me_Mario and Lilybell2 like this.
    08-20-2018 07:05 PM
31 12