Pixel 2 -OnePlus 6

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I really like what OP is doing and I almost sold my pixel 2 to get an OP6 but the Pixel 2 camera is so good and so much better than anything else I've used or seen pics from I just cannot go away from it right now. That and support is my other concern. When I had a defective unit Google swapped it no questions asked. IDK if I can count on OP for that kind of service.

That said, I really want to try an OP6.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If the oneplus 6 worked on Verizon I definitely would get one. I like the pixel 2 xl, but I definitely don't like the $800+ price tag that comes with it. The pixel 2 may be the better overall device, but it's not $400 better IMO

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If the oneplus 6 worked on Verizon I definitely would get one. I like the pixel 2 xl, but I definitely don't like the $800+ price tag that comes with it. The pixel 2 may be the better overall device, but it's not $400 better IMO

There are great deals out there depending on where you live and what carrier.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There are great deals out there depending on where you live and what carrier.

The difficult thing about all those deals is that they come just before the release of next year's new crop of phones. Do I buy the old phone at a bargain and then in a few weeks have buyers remorse looking at all the new offerings.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The difficult thing about all those deals is that they come just before the release of next year's new crop of phones. Do I buy the old phone at a bargain and then in a few weeks have buyers remorse looking at all the new offerings.

We get that....I was trying to make a point that the poster had objecting to the 800 plus price. People are still buying the Pixel 2s.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
We get that....I was trying to make a point that the poster had objecting to the 800 plus price. People are still buying the Pixel 2s.

I'm sorry, I was only making a comment that I've fallen prey to in the past. I've jumped on a bargain only to have the new model appear a few weeks later. I shouldn't have made such an obvious comment. Sorry.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, I was only making a comment that I've fallen prey to in the past. I've jumped on a bargain only to have the new model appear a few weeks later. I shouldn't have made such an obvious comment. Sorry.

Apology not required....lol
Your point is definitely a valid one.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

yes correct, but I already spent over $900 on the pixel 2 xl. I really like the 2 xl, but I just don't want to pay these prices any longer. So a $500 one plus 6 is a great value, it's just a shame verizon customers are excluded.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's becoming less of a concern. Generational improvements are becoming less and less each passing year... A function of the platform maturing rapidly. So each year, the next big thing isn't that much bigger than the previous big thing.

They only get so much faster, they only get so much better battery performance, etc. Even the camera... The 3 will have a better camera, but better is a relative term, unless there is some gonzo new feature that blows people out of the water, it's not like the Pixel 2's camera will get worse when the new one drops. It might not be #1 ... But I'll take #2 .

So I don't see giving much advice to ever wait for the new model. And with discounts, you might be buying 'last year's' phone, but it'll still be awesome. I mean, my wife still loves her first gen XL... It's still a great phone, even with the model quickly approaching it's two year birthday. 4 years ago, a two year old phone would really be showing its age... Now, not so much

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
yes correct, but I already spent over $900 on the pixel 2 xl. I really like the 2 xl, but I just don't want to pay these prices any longer. So a $500 one plus 6 is a great value, it's just a shame verizon customers are excluded.
The problem with one+ is that they sell a new phone every 6 months. Their best is only best for 6 mo ths.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, that's becoming less of a concern. Generational improvements are becoming less and less each passing year... A function of the platform maturing rapidly. So each year, the next big thing isn't that much bigger than the previous big thing.

They only get so much faster, they only get so much better battery performance, etc. Even the camera... The 3 will have a better camera, but better is a relative term, unless there is some gonzo new feature that blows people out of the water, it's not like the Pixel 2's camera will get worse when the new one drops. It might not be #1 ... But I'll take #2 .

So I don't see giving much advice to ever wait for the new model. And with discounts, you might be buying 'last year's' phone, but it'll still be awesome. I mean, my wife still loves her first gen XL... It's still a great phone, even with the model quickly approaching it's two year birthday. 4 years ago, a two year old phone would really be showing its age... Now, not so much

This is also true and aside from the newness factor I'm not seeing much reason to upgrade unless it's a real upgrade. As far as upgrades are concerned I'm not calling glass and wireless charging an upgrade.

Auston Dowling

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
I have both and prefer the pixel 2 , camera is important to me given I have a small child I take pics of .. pixel 2 usually has better results than the op6 , I also like the smaller size of the pixel 2 , all personal preferences if the op6 was smaller it would be harder for me to decide

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like what OP is doing and I almost sold my pixel 2 to get an OP6 but the Pixel 2 camera is so good and so much better than anything else I've used or seen pics from I just cannot go away from it right now. That and support is my other concern. When I had a defective unit Google swapped it no questions asked. IDK if I can count on OP for that kind of service.

That said, I really want to try an OP6.

I hear you.

I too am hooked on my Pixel 2 but I've been wanting to try an OP device since the 5. I "fear" that I may stick to the Google Pixel train for a while now, as I've truly missed stock Android... But OP is close to stock, and I've always wanted to try Oxygen OS...

Who knows, maybe the 7 or 7T will sway us!

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I hear you.

I too am hooked on my Pixel 2 but I've been wanting to try an OP device since the 5. I "fear" that I may stick to the Google Pixel train for a while now, as I've truly missed stock Android... But OP is close to stock, and I've always wanted to try Oxygen OS...

Who knows, maybe the 7 or 7T will sway us!
Yeah I've wanted to try an OP phone since the 3/3T. I really wanted a 3T bad but couldn't afford it at the time so I had to stick to carrier phones till this year.

I think I am hooked on the Pixel line to, but there are things about the OS I don't care for. Little things I'd like to change or customize which is why OP and Oxygen OS is so tempting. This fall it's going to come down to the Pixel 3 or the OP6T. However I think trade in incentives will sway me to the Pixel 3. Plus, the camera is just so good and with kids right now camera quality is at the top of my priorities in a phone.