07-17-2018 12:53 PM
33 12
tools
    I just received my new Pixel 2 XL today and after comparing it to my original one, here are my findings:

1. Both devices were manufactured on December 5th 2017.

2. In terms of screen grain, the one I received today looks slightly better than my original. The grain is still there but you don't notice it as much as the original I had received. The screen doesn't look as grey on white screens compared to my original. I guess I would say I am slightly more happy with the new one but was hoping for a bigger improvement.

3. In terms of blue shift, both phones seem to be identical. The screen doesn't shift immediately off axis, but soon starts to at shallow angles. The blue shift never bothered me anyways so I'm unconcerned with this aspect.

4. In terms of black crush, I am really not sure what I am looking for. I went to the link that "I can be your hero" posted and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. I can't see boxes 1-6, although I dont know what that really means. I never noticed any contrast issues in the first place.

5. In terms of black smear, I did notice some slight wobble when doing the test but this is something I never experienced in real life usage. Not an issue on any of the devices I had.

In conclusion, the devices built in December still seem to be a lottery in finding a good display. It looks like some have been lucky to get a good one while others have gotten some poor/subpar displays. I would be curious to see a device that was built some time later then December to see if it has any improvements. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference or not but both of my devices shipped from a distributor in Illinois and since both of my devices were built on the same day they could have been from the same batch which could explain why the screens looked so similar but I am just speculating at this point. All in all though it was worth a try especially since the Pixel 2 XL is $100 off right now so I actually saved some money and I guess I got a slightly better display. I hope this helps some others who are in the same boat as me.
    gebco likes this.
    07-12-2018 04:37 PM
    Contrary to many posters belief on various issues and various devices, build date doesn't tell you much about your odds of getting a better device unless there was a deliberate cutoff when different parts or better QC is put in place. I'm sure many screens were onhand as issues arose and it's doubtful that all the bad ones were caught and simply thrown away. They probably did a better job of checking existing screens but that doesn't solve everything. As far as newer screens, hopefully tighter manfacturing controls solved some issues but again build date by itself doesn't tell us much by itself.
    07-12-2018 07:49 PM
    I just received my new Pixel 2 XL today and after comparing it to my original one, here are my findings:

2. In terms of screen grain, the one I received today looks slightly better than my original. The grain is still there but you don't notice it as much as the original I had received. The screen doesn't look as grey on white screens compared to my original. I guess I would say I am slightly more happy with the new one but was hoping for a bigger improvement.

3. In terms of blue shift, both phones seem to be identical. The screen doesn't shift immediately off axis, but soon starts to at shallow angles. The blue shift never bothered me anyways so I'm unconcerned with this aspect.

4. In terms of black crush, I am really not sure what I am looking for. I went to the link that "I can be your hero" posted and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. I can't see boxes 1-6, although I dont know what that really means. I never noticed any contrast issues in the first place.

5. In terms of black smear, I did notice some slight wobble when doing the test but this is something I never experienced in real life usage. Not an issue on any of the devices I had.

In conclusion, the devices built in December still seem to be a lottery in finding a good display. It looks like some have been lucky to get a good one while others have gotten some poor/subpar displays. I would be curious to see a device that was built some time later then December to see if it has any improvements. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference or not but both of my devices shipped from a distributor in Illinois and since both of my devices were built on the same day they could have been from the same batch which could explain why the screens looked so similar but I am just speculating at this point. All in all though it was worth a try especially since the Pixel 2 XL is $100 off right now so I actually saved some money and I guess I got a slightly better display. I hope this helps some others who are in the same boat as me.
    Thanks for the update.

As far as 4 - black crush, that link has 20 squares, all with different darkness levels. Not seeing boxes 1-6 means that the screen cannot resolve images at those darkness levels. Means that any images/video which have images at those levels will be 'crushed' and appear pitch black instead of a gradient going from pitch black to progressively brighter shades.

I notice screen grain, black smear (wobble) and black crush. The tint doesn't destract me too much.

Also, I'm surprised that despite it being July 2018, they still have December 2017 stock laying around to send out.
    07-13-2018 03:13 AM
    Exactly. Thats why I am wondering if I should RMA mine since it seems to be defective. Just trying to gauge other people's opinions.
    If you think there's something wrong with it, for sure you should exchange it. It's an expensive device and should be near perfect.
    07-13-2018 08:41 PM

I'm glad the screen has improved for you somewhat, and that you saved some money in the process. Are you going to keep it, or perhaps exchange it again? As the user above me stated, the Pixel 2 XL is a beautiful but expensive phone and you should be enjoying the user experience - especially for the price. Keep us posted!
    07-15-2018 07:05 AM
    I am going to keep this one. After using it for a few days now I can definitely say that the new one's display is a lot better than the first one I had in terms of grain. When I first got the new one, it only looked slightly better mainly because I was intentionally looking for the grain. Now that I have been using it, you can only see the grain if you look for it versus the old one which stood out no matter how hard you tried to ignore it. Yes it bugs me a bit knowing its there but I bought this phone solely for its software experience. Although the display isnt perfect, this phone blows away the Samsung phones I had in the past. Clean UI, no lag, no stutters, no random crashes, smooth as butter which I NEVER experienced with a Samsung device. Not to mention the amazing camera. All of this however still doesn't mean a poor display is acceptable or that Google should be let of the hook. I'm someone who can compromise a bit, especially since I prioritize a smooth software experience, but there are a lot people out there who can't and rightfully so. Google just needs to own their problem, satisfy their customers who have received a poor display, and rebound on the Pixel 3. All in all I will say that I am a happy customer and do have to give Google's customer service department some credit as they have been extremely helpful with me every time I contacted them. I know some people have had some issues with them when trying to do an RMA but I do feel they are trying to make things right and have not completely ignored the fact that there is a quality issue with their displays.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-16-2018 08:36 PM
    I am going to keep this one. After using it for a few days now I can definitely say that the new one's display is a lot better than the first one I had in terms of grain. When I first got the new one, it only looked slightly better mainly because I was intentionally looking for the grain. Now that I have been using it, you can only see the grain if you look for it versus the old one which stood out no matter how hard you tried to ignore it. Yes it bugs me a bit knowing its there but I bought this phone solely for its software experience. Although the display isnt perfect, this phone blows away the Samsung phones I had in the past. Clean UI, no lag, no stutters, no random crashes, smooth as butter which I NEVER experienced with a Samsung device. Not to mention the amazing camera. All of this however still doesn't mean a poor display is acceptable or that Google should be let of the hook. I'm someone who can compromise a bit, especially since I prioritize a smooth software experience, but there are a lot people out there who can't and rightfully so. Google just needs to own their problem, satisfy their customers who have received a poor display, and rebound on the Pixel 3. All in all I will say that I am a happy customer and do have to give Google's customer service department some credit as they have been extremely helpful with me every time I contacted them. I know some people have had some issues with them when trying to do an RMA but I do feel they are trying to make things right and have not completely ignored the fact that there is a quality issue with their displays.
    I'm so glad that you are finding the display better on this new device; and that you will keep it as it satisfies your needs. Google does seem to have pretty good customer service and hopefully the displays will be effectively made for the Pixel 3.
    07-17-2018 08:35 AM
    Glad to hear it was an improvement for you.
    07-17-2018 12:53 PM
33 12