Fingerprint Scanner & Passcode

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I’m loving my Pixel 2 best phone I’ve ever owned... love the location of the fingerprint scanner.

I’m using the fingerprint scanner but sometimes it also asks for my passcode. Is there a way to just use the fingerprint scanner to unlock and never have to use the passcode?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I’m loving my Pixel 2 best phone I’ve ever owned... love the location of the fingerprint scanner.

I’m using the fingerprint scanner but sometimes it also asks for my passcode. Is there a way to just use the fingerprint scanner to unlock and never have to use the passcode?

On restart -- or random? On restart it always requires it. For randomly it will do it just to ensure the phone is in the right hands but shouldn't happen too often.

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
On restart I just thought maybe it could be set up using the fingerprint scanner but you guys are saying it doesn’t work that way.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've often wondered why Google needs to verify the passcode after a restart.
I manage a large trading account with Interactive Brokers.
I think it's significant that only my fingerprint is required to access my account.
And I'm quite confident that my account is adequately protected.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it's significant that only my fingerprint is required to access my account.

All phones require passcode first before fingerprint, faceunlock, etc. It is basically to ensure it is the person that set it up since only you can know your passcode.

TBH it isn't that big a deal (at least to me) to enter it upon first restart.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
All phones require passcode first before fingerprint, faceunlock, etc. It is basically to ensure it is the person that set it up since only you can know your passcode.

TBH it isn't that big a deal (at least to me) to enter it upon first restart.

My rebuttal would be that it's a lot easier to steal a 4 digit passcode than to steal your fingerprint! :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My rebuttal would be that it's a lot easier to steal a 4 digit passcode than to steal your fingerprint! :)

There are multiple reasons. Such as how Apple has the SOS mode and stuff you can do. Cops can force you to use your fingerprint to unlock but can't force you to give up a pass-code so.. shutting the phone off would thwart that. Various things of that nature.

Also maybe you meant it is easier to brute-force a pass-code... If you have unlimited tries then yes (you don't) and there wasn't a time out (there is) so guessing a 4 digit combo isn't exactly the easiest unless someone makes it 1234.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are multiple reasons. Such as how Apple has the SOS mode and stuff you can do. Cops can force you to use your fingerprint to unlock but can't force you to give up a pass-code so.. shutting the phone off would thwart that. Various things of that nature.

Also maybe you meant it is easier to brute-force a pass-code... If you have unlimited tries then yes (you don't) and there wasn't a time out (there is) so guessing a 4 digit combo isn't exactly the easiest unless someone makes it 1234.

It's also important in the event your FPS fails to recognize your fingerprint.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Your account is not hardware based. In addition to some of the other reasons given think of what you would you do if your FPS failed. Sometimes we have give Google and others credit for thinking of the things that we fail to realize.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

All good reasons! You reminded me of the incident a few months ago that caused an American Airline to make an emergency landing. A guy's wife wanted to play solitaire on his phone and he was sleeping, so she just moved the fingerprint sensor under his sleeping finger. After the phone was unlocked she saw that he had been texting another woman behind her back and she went hysterical. They couldn't control her and had to land the plane. :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Note that you do have to establish a 4 digit PIN "before" you're allowed to establish the fingerprint!
Of course you do....not sure what your point is. The pin code allows you to access your phone in the event the sensor fails or fails to recognize your fingerprint after setting it.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Of course you do....not sure what your point is. The pin code allows you to access your phone in the event the sensor fails or fails to recognize your fingerprint after setting it.

Of course, and that is why I said it. And you're right, it was a redundant comment. I should have assumed that everyone knows that.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
This brings up an interesting issue I've had randomly. Mine does ask for my pin after restart (which is expected) but once or twice a week it will randomly make me enter my pin even though it didn't restart... Like I'll pick it up off my desk to check something and after I scan my fingerprint it asks for my pin. It's just 4 digits so it's really not that big of a deal but it's definitely odd.

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
To the OP its probably because either while its in pocket and its rubbing against your thigh or when putting your hands in your pocket you may accidentally be hitting your finger print scanner ...it happens to me all the time i only know because my moto z force 2 has a strong vibrate so i feel it everytime

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd actually recommend using at least a 6 digit PIN. Also, perhaps the FPS is not operational at the stage of bootup when you're asked for the pin (although that's a design decision).

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
This brings up an interesting issue I've had randomly. Mine does ask for my pin after restart (which is expected) but once or twice a week it will randomly make me enter my pin even though it didn't restart... Like I'll pick it up off my desk to check something and after I scan my fingerprint it asks for my pin. It's just 4 digits so it's really not that big of a deal but it's definitely odd.

This is normal. Android requires you to enter the passcode every four days. This is to prevent someone stealing your fingerprint and being able to use the phone indefinitely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci