Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X - What I have learned

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I hope I was not misunterstood, i love my Pixel 2 XL and will be buyingthe Pixel 3. Maybe by that time Freefly Movi and DJI will have improved their android apps and presence. I find myself working hard to take a great picture on the iPhone X and whenever I use my Pixel 2 XL or my wifes Pixle XL, it seems like point, shoot, done, and another great photo.

The X will get me more as a trade in on the the Pixel 3 as well i think so then I will have every generation of Pixel in my house......:)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I hope I was not misunterstood, i love my Pixel 2 XL and will be buyingthe Pixel 3. Maybe by that time Freefly Movi and DJI will have improved their android apps and presence. I find myself working hard to take a great picture on the iPhone X and whenever I use my Pixel 2 XL or my wifes Pixle XL, it seems like point, shoot, done, and another great photo.

The X will get me more as a trade in on the the Pixel 3 as well i think so then I will have every generation of Pixel in my house......:)

What DJI drone do you have?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
DJI Spark.....just starting out so thought I would get an entry level drone and man is it nice for Sub 400 dollars. Will upgrade next year once I get used to flying and using the Spark.

DJI makes amazing products! The DJI Mavic Pro is my first drone and I never would have thought such precision flying and 4K videography could be possible! What fun! :)

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have both with iOS12 beta and android P beta and it is a tough call. The flexibility of android is great but flip that around and the overall slickness of apps on iOS vs android is great on an iPhone, I just cannot think of an example where the android version on an app is better even google ones are slicker on an iPhone. The iPhone X also (IMO) has the best 'in the hand' feel of any phone.

I agree though re the home screen, all iPhones look the same which is just dull and I also miss an always on display when I use the iPhone (such a great feature). Camera is better on the Pixel but not by enough to be a deciding factor for me. I like that I have a 256gb option on the iPhone as for me anyway 128gb is just enough but a little close for comfort especially if using as a stills/video camera on holiday.

Right now I am using the pixel.

aniggmah

Jul 21, 2018
Visit site
I tried the iPhone X for awhile. I definitely didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Face ID worked well, iMessage was very nice, and everything seems to run without any hiccups. My deal breaker was pretty much Google stuff not syncing correctly all the time via iPhone. I know this is due to Apple only allowing their stuff full background access all the time so sometimes it would sync and other times it wouldn't. Such as settings reminders (something I use heavily) via my Google Homes would sometimes pop on the iPhone and other times it would miss. That pretty much broke me.

The camera on the Pixel has also spoiled me. The iPhone didn't take bad photos but I got spoiled with always being able to snap a situation without worry due to the Pixel.

Great points, what do you mean by "without worry"?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I mean that by my phone will always sync my Google stuff without a problem. With iPhone when I set a reminder via my Google Homes I had to sit and wonder if I'd be able to get the notification when it was time for that reminder whereas with my Pixel phone it syncs and pops up without a hiccup.
Great points, what do you mean by "without worry"?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
128gb is just enough but a little close for comfort especially if using as a stills/video camera on holiday.

Good thing Google offers free unlimited photo and video uploads for three years at original resolution. You have to pay Apple a couple of bucks each month in order to get any decent amount of space in iCloud.

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I just don't like the Apple design paradigm. I have supported multiple iterations of Mac operating systems and the way they structure the settings is consistent and not irrational but entirely unintuitive to me. Its like a foreign language that never clicks.

I have administered servers running Linux, Novell, OS/2 and every flavor of windows server OS from NT 3.5 up to Server 2008 and have owned WinCE, PalmOS, WebOS and WinPhone devices.

Apple devices are the only ones that feel wrong every single time I touch them.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I have both with iOS12 beta and android P beta and it is a tough call. The flexibility of android is great but flip that around and the overall slickness of apps on iOS vs android is great on an iPhone, I just cannot think of an example where the android version on an app is better even google ones are slicker on an iPhone.

I've read this more than once from different users. I understand it's an just an opinion and personal preference on aesthetics, but could you expand on your experience?

When I look at both, I only see three minor visual differences. Looking at Keep and Inbox, I see; 1) Android uses a complementary color gradient to accent the status bar vs single color for iOS. 2) Android uses shading to create lift with the cards in Material Design vs iOS implementation which is flat. 3) Font.

IMO, the iOS versions look drab and boring. Of course, I feel all of iOS is drab and boring...:p

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I've read this more than once from different users. I understand it's an just an opinion and personal preference on aesthetics, but could you expand on your experience?

When I look at both, I only see three minor visual differences. Looking at Keep and Inbox, I see; 1) Android uses a complementary color gradient to accent the status bar vs single color for iOS. 2) Android uses shading to create lift with the cards in Material Design vs iOS implementation which is flat. 3) Font.

IMO, the iOS versions look drab and boring. Of course, I feel all of iOS is drab and boring...:p

I agree with you completely. I think it's the apps like Snapchat etc that are so much better on iOS, not necessarily the Google ones. Google does make a few apps that they don't offer on Android which I find mildly annoying.

brat1475

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
I used both Samsung phones and an iPhone 7 plus. Ultimately Samsung wins out for me. My 7 plus had better stand by battery time, apps seem to work more smoothly, and Car Play was ok. The downsides for me on the 7 plus, slow charging, Car Play has little choice of apps compared to Android Auto, and tethering is more of a pain in the butt. I go with Samsung's, Notes specifically, for the S Pen, Android Auto has more app flexibility, easier and more reliable tethering, and Samsung Pay. I do recommend iOS more often to family, my wife and kids all use iPhones.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think it's the apps like Snapchat etc that are so much better on iOS, not necessarily the Google ones.

Indeed. I can see that.

I always find it head scratching whenever I've read "Google looks better on iOS" or they "work better". I can't say that I've found either statement ... reasonable. Even now as MD is moving Google's Apps to MD 2.0, there's even less visual difference (which I'm not a huge fan of, btw).

Other vendors like a Snapchat or Instagram. I can see differences they may be referring to.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Indeed. I can see that.

I always find it head scratching whenever I've read "Google looks better on iOS" or they "work better". I can't say that I've found either statement ... reasonable. Even now as MD is moving Google's Apps to MD 2.0, there's even less visual difference (which I'm not a huge fan of, btw).

Other vendors like a Snapchat or Instagram. I can see differences they may be referring to.

Google's apps don't even sync in the background on iPhones. For example, you have to keep Google Photos open and your phone awake in order for photos to sync to it. On my Pixel 2 XL, I can turn the display off and let the phone sleep and photos will automatically sync in the background. I agree that Google apps look better on iPhone, but they're pretty much useless on it.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Maybe saying the google apps are better on iOS is overstating it but I do not think they are worse.

Maybe Gboard is the only one I can think of that is obviously better on android due to apple locking down keyboard apps. 3rd party apps though, it is not even close.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Maybe Gboard is the only one I can think of that is obviously better on android due to apple locking down keyboard apps.

Gboard and probably Chrome, since it's not really Chrome, I think are the more obvious ones. The Gboard situation irritates me practically daily.

But not to get too far off topic, I think Apple makes some great hardware, like the X. Just wish they'd loosen their totalitarian approach to iOS.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I think Apple makes some great hardware

Yes and no. The iPhone X is a beautiful phone, there's not argument there. But my iPhone X's battery was already down to 97% capacity after only 2.5 months, which is very unacceptable. Many Android OEMs have figured out battery longevity. Apple, almost a trillion dollar company, still hasn't figured them out. But maybe they don't want to just so people will be forced to upgrade.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Yes and no. The iPhone X is a beautiful phone, there's not argument there. But my iPhone X's battery was already down to 97% capacity after only 2.5 months, which is very unacceptable. Many Android OEMs have figured out battery longevity. Apple, almost a trillion dollar company, still hasn't figured them out. But maybe they don't want to just so people will be forced to upgrade.

I am still at 100% battery capacity and have had mine since February.

Last edited:

jiovine

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I have both iPhone X and Pixel phones. Up until the iPhone X, Windows Phone was my daily driver - I loved the OS; may it RIP. I am not much into customization or tinkering, so to me it is just a phone with several apps, music and photos. So, the iPhone is my daily driver even though I use all the ecosystems Apple, Microsoft and Google and they all have their good and bad traits. I miss the tile's from Windows Phone as it was so easy to organize your home screen. Apple and Android, I really dislike that you have to flip through multiple pages; even in Windows Phone you could do a quick search by first letter of apps to narrow the list.

In regards to privacy, I prefer Apple. I've always thought of Google as the Devil regarding privacy. Google is merely utilizing their OS to gain marketing information to sell. Each app request permissions to various levels or personal information and their seems to be more spyware apps in the Play Store. Google is nothing more than a marketing analytics company.

Segmentation in the OS. I think we can agree that not every Android phone runs the most current version of Android. Leaving the haves and have nots. Carrier phones are loaded with tons of bloatware and most times are several versions of Android behind when released with no plans to update them. Apple does a much better job of ensuring their products receive regular updates, regardless of carrier.

Device Options: Hands down, Android wins. I prefer pure android, I how ever MFG or Carrier can implement it how they choose leading to confusion in the user base. They should use the KISS method for out of box experience and if you want to customize go ahead.

Reliability, my pixel reboots several times a day, for no reason. I have like two apps loaded on it. My iPhone just works.

While both aren't perfect, I lean to IOS for it's simplicity, respect for my privacy, ecosystem integration, OS standards and reliability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance