Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X - What I have learned

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
hmm interesting to see you have problems with Android Auto and your Kenwood Head unit.

Has that only been with the Pixel, or have you not been able to test other devices.

Only ask as I was put off for a while from the Pixel as it had supposed problems with Android Auto head units, but I've had zero issue with mine since i got it. My head unit is a Sony one, but I've noticed a lot of the issues revolve around Kenwood and Pioneer units

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple and Android, I really dislike that you have to flip through multiple pages; even in Windows Phone you could do a quick search by first letter of apps to narrow the list.

Why do you have to swipe multiple pages when you can search for the app? In iPhone swipe down to bring up app search and type in the first few letters app shows up in recommendation. Same with Android, In Pixel you can do that on the Google search bar or in app drawer or you can use custom launcher with gesture and set up app search the way you like. I generally set up swipe down to bring up app search similar to iOS.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The app search feature has been in Android for a long time, Google just doesn't bother to guide people to use it. I do like that the new implementation let's you get to it pretty much everywhere... Quick swipe up being the Google search bar up.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The app search feature has been in Android for a long time, Google just doesn't bother to guide people to use it.
To be honest Apple or Samsung or any other company doesn't do a good job of guiding people to use app search. It's the most used feature or action by me personally but I'm still surprised to see many people don't even know this. They still manually look thru pages of home screen or app drawer to find an app.

I do like that the new implementation let's you get to it pretty much everywhere... Quick swipe up being the Google search bar up.
Yeah even better you don't even need to swipe up since the Google search bar on Pixel launcher is present in dock always, you can search for the installed app directly on it and it pulls up in search result.

Last edited:

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Quick search is definitely your friend. I keep the majority of my apps on a side home screen in folders. I never actually have to navigate to them though, because i can just swipe and type in "pa" and there is PayPal, or whatever app I am looking for.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe saying the google apps are better on iOS is overstating it but I do not think they are worse.

Maybe Gboard is the only one I can think of that is obviously better on android due to apple locking down keyboard apps. 3rd party apps though, it is not even close.

My use case may not be common, but the integration of Google Translate on Android is far superior to anything on iOS. For work i regularly communicate with folks in Europe and Latin America.

Translation, integrated with gboard and universal access, means i can translate on the fly (both composing and reading) in any app.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've started to carry both the X and Pixel 2 XL. To be honest, you really can't go wrong with either devices. Both are fantastic. Simple, clean, and fluid... I can't ask for more.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Well here is the latest :) I am going back to the Pixel 2 XL....I miss:

Squezzable sides
Google Assistant
Camera
I like the iphone and HATE Apple

Will miss the size of the iPhone X and will fix that by getting a Pixel 3 in October instead on the Pixel 3 XL

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have an iphone 7 that I like but rarely use simply because it is so annoyingly locked down. Simple icon placement where I want is prohibited. I have found a work around for that simple annoyance but sheesh, really should not need to go to the trouble. I'll never buy another iphone for that reason alone. The 7 remains as a backup device.
I always get a chuckle when on Macrumors forum and peek into the wallpaper thread. The Apple-ites all showing off their fave walls covered up with all the icons. Dude, can't see it.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I have an iphone 7 that I like but rarely use simply because it is so annoyingly locked down. Simple icon placement where I want is prohibited. I have found a work around for that simple annoyance but sheesh, really should not need to go to the trouble. I'll never buy another iphone for that reason alone. The 7 remains as a backup device.
I always get a chuckle when on Macrumors forum and peek into the wallpaper thread. The Apple-ites all showing off their fave walls covered up with all the icons. Dude, can't see it.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. I only have a couple rows of apps on my main screen, and the rest all in folders on the next screen over. I really don't care about placing icons wherever, I just wish they let you set the anchor point to the bottom instead of the top.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Indeed. I can see that.

I always find it head scratching whenever I've read "Google looks better on iOS" or they "work better". I can't say that I've found either statement ... reasonable. Even now as MD is moving Google's Apps to MD 2.0, there's even less visual difference (which I'm not a huge fan of, btw).

Other vendors like a Snapchat or Instagram. I can see differences they may be referring to.
I don't. Can you please explain how the big apps "look" better on iPhone? Details please.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Going from the Pixel 2 XL to the iPhone was very easy and pleasant experience, going back to the Pixel 2 XL felt uncomfortable and akward. I cannot explain it.....I think maybe it is the size of the XL and so I will be looking at the Pixel 3 and the more I read about the 3 XL I think that is the way I will go if Apple does not finally tear ne away from Android with their next release of phones.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Going from the Pixel 2 XL to the iPhone was very easy and pleasant experience, going back to the Pixel 2 XL felt uncomfortable and akward. I cannot explain it.....I think maybe it is the size of the XL and so I will be looking at the Pixel 3 and the more I read about the 3 XL I think that is the way I will go if Apple does not finally tear ne away from Android with their next release of phones.

So I take it you're back on the X after selling your pixel?!

I know when the pixel 3 (regular version not XL) comes out I will want to switch from iOS again. I've switched about 4 times this year and can't even last a week on the pixel. The camera is amazing, but the cohesiveness of iOS is keeping me on the X. Plus the X size is great

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I love my iPhone. I've had them all except the first two. But I also like Android. I think for the most part Google's apps are better on iOS. especially YouTube. I think photos works better on Android but that's about it. oh and Gboard. Gboard is junk on iOS thanks to apples limitations on third party devs.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Good thing Google offers free unlimited photo and video uploads for three years at original resolution. You have to pay Apple a couple of bucks each month in order to get any decent amount of space in iCloud.

You simply do not understand that iCloud is NOT a online photo and video storage platform. It’s a device to sync everything (that you want to) between your various Apple devices. It’s not designed as online storage for photos

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
You simply do not understand that iCloud is NOT a online photo and video storage platform. It’s a device to sync everything (that you want to) between your various Apple devices. It’s not designed as online storage for photos

Please don't Apple-splain to me. I've been using Apple products for years. iCloud is definitely used for photo and video storage on top of being used to sync everything between Apple devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol