Pixel 2 XL sluggish

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
For the record, this is what I was seeing. Note the video with the camera opening. https://bgr.com/2018/08/15/pixel-2-xl-slow-performance/

Yeah it's been happening with some Pixel 2 XL's.

According to a tip given to Stephen Hall, there could be 3 possible reasons for the lag with one being hardware related that would require replacement: https://mobile.twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/1030100601303179264

Contact Google and see if they can repair/replace it. No way Google's flagship phone should lag like that.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This all started for me with the official update to Pie. The camera takes a while to load at times, takes a while to switch to video and then the video records the lag. Notifications are also weird. I will have one show up but it won't take me to the app for 20+ seconds after I tap the notification. Or, I'll be within an app when something comes through (e.g. Twitter) and then the notification hits about three minutes later.

I did a factory reset over the weekend and that does has not helped a bit.

After the Pie update, I've noticed similar behavior for notifications.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Google sent me a warranty replacement. It was great for about a day and a half but all the lag and notification issues have cropped back up.

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got a refurb replacement from Verizon because my charging port was messed up. As a bonus, this new phone FLIES. My old Pixel 2 XL was running into extreme lag at random times and it was starting to get extremely frustrating. I guess I had sorta got used to it because I'm floored by how fast this refurb is.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I contacted them last night and they are going to send out a replacement it sucks that they have to take another hold for the amount of the phone its a lot of money. I know it goes back into the account however its still away for a while but anywho im going to get the new one and see what happens. This has been happening to me worse after the official pie update.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been limping along with a Nexus 6P with the battery bug, but the battery bug is just about to make the phone unusable. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Pixel 2XL, but this makes me think I would be jumping from the frying pan back into the fire.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been limping along with a Nexus 6P with the battery bug, but the battery bug is just about to make the phone unusable. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Pixel 2XL, but this makes me think I would be jumping from the frying pan back into the fire.

Is it possible that your "battery bug" might simply be an old battery that is wearing out? :) How long have you had your Nexus 6P?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that your "battery bug" might simply be an old battery that is wearing out? :) How long have you had your Nexus 6P?

Thanks for the reply. It is the known battery bug where the phone randomly shuts down even with 40-50% battery life. Started happening after the update to Oreo. It occurs more regularly in the camera app or when temps are cool/cold. Google knows about the issue and their only suggestion is to replace the battery.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/MmsETN2h5EM;context-place=forum/nexus

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It is the known battery bug where the phone randomly shuts down even with 40-50% battery life. Started happening after the update to Oreo. It occurs more regularly in the camera app or when temps are cool/cold. Google knows about the issue and their only suggestion is to replace the battery.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/MmsETN2h5EM;context-place=forum/nexus

Ouch! I wasn't aware of that one!
Does Google give you any help if you are affected?
Battery replacement?
Phone replacement?
Trade incentive?
Anything?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The other day I had to do a factory reset as the phone would boot but just show my home screen wallpaper. Working fine again though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781