Gesture navigation might be the only option on Pixel 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this over on Android Authority. I've used the Pie Betas and I'm not a fan of google's gestures because, well it sucks and it doesn't save any space so I don't see the point. So if this is the case, heck IDK maybe I'll just get a Note 9 instead and call it a year. I hate change for the sake of change, and that's what this feels like.

https://www.androidauthority.com/gesture-navigation-pixel-3-892824/

I don't mind it. Been using it on beta just fine.

It would take some insane change for me to change an entire phone. This is a small thing for me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just saw this over on Android Authority. I've used the Pie Betas and I'm not a fan of google's gestures because, well it sucks and it doesn't save any space so I don't see the point. So if this is the case, heck IDK maybe I'll just get a Note 9 instead and call it a year. I hate change for the sake of change, and that's what this feels like.

https://www.androidauthority.com/gesture-navigation-pixel-3-892824/

I might skip out on the pixel 3 , not impressed with what I've seen . Better off with my pixel 2 xl . And I'm with you on the gestures it just takes away from good experience on the phone when it's half baked .

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind it. Been using it on beta just fine.

It would take some insane change for me to change an entire phone. This is a small thing for me.

You mean change manufacturers? See I think its a big thing, the way I interact with the phone is a big deal to me when it is intuitive. I have used all the betas to and I just could not get used to it.

I might skip out on the pixel 3 , not impressed with what I've seen . Better off with my pixel 2 xl . And I'm with you on the gestures it just takes away from good experience on the phone when it's half baked .

Well the pill sits right where the buttons are anyway so I don't see how it is any better. Personally I can switch apps way faster just double tapping the square.

See I really want the 3 for the bigger screen than my 2 has. But IDK about this. I don't like it being forced on me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You mean change manufacturers? See I think its a big thing, the way I interact with the phone is a big deal to me when it is intuitive. I have used all the betas to and I just could not get used to it.

Correct. Things won't ever stay the same. Things will change and while I have to re-learn muscle memory wise it takes a few days at most for me. After that it is normal. I don't try and resist change -- I may not always agree but it would take a ton to force me to swap a phone due to a UI change.

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well the pill sits right where the buttons are anyway so I don't see how it is any better. Personally I can switch apps way faster just double tapping the square.

Did you know that you can swipe to the right anywhere on the Navigation bar and it will switch between the last two apps just like double tapping the square.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you know that you can swipe to the right anywhere on the Navigation bar and it will switch between the last two apps just like double tapping the square.

Yeah I did, and its not better. Its just different to be different and I have to actually move my thumb more to use it. I find it more difficult to use one handed.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning on skipping the 3 and seeing what the 4 will be like. The three looks cool but I don't think it's worth of an upgrade when I just got the 2 and its specs are still great. :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You don't have to swipe from the pill, you can swipe from the far left and don't even have to go over to the pill. That way there is no chance of accidentally activating assistant.

I see what you mean, I would of been ok with this and swipe up gesture for the app draw

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning on skipping the 3 and seeing what the 4 will be like. The three looks cool but I don't think it's worth of an upgrade when I just got the 2 and its specs are still great. :)
While the specs are great and I've only had mine for six months myself I want the bigger screen but if they are going to force this gesture BS on me I may have to rethink things even on my 2 and go another direction.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
While the specs are great and I've only had mine for six months myself I want the bigger screen but if they are going to force this gesture BS on me I may have to rethink things even on my 2 and go another direction.

I'm using the button layout , but yeah to not have that option on the pixel 3 not good

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I actually like the gestures. Took me about 5 mins to get used to it but I always liked navbar gestures in custom ROMs. Taking up screen sapce isn't an issue since I enable immersive mode.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the gestures. Took me about 5 mins to get used to it but I always liked navbar gestures in custom ROMs. Taking up screen sapce isn't an issue since I enable immersive mode.
I am probably just getting old but I just didn't like it and couldn't get my hand to frickin do it right lol.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
At the beginning of the beta I wasn't that thrilled with the Pixel gesture navigation but now actually got used to it and probably prefer it a bit over the original navigation.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I understand you guys liking the new gestures or getting use to them by now , but if you used other phones that do it better it just makes what Google doing bad . the phone's I'm use to it on is the iPhone X and 1+6 ...I hate to see how Samsung going to do it lol

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2