08-11-2018 05:55 PM
54 123
tools
    Phones are more of a work tool/Reminders/social media management machine for me now. I almost don't care about the manufacturer anymore other than if they release a quality device. I'm just not as into phone nerdism anymore.
    08-09-2018 12:25 AM
    You never know - maybe next year or later, you'll see a phone come out that will knock your socks off! And you'll love it for a long time!

This will sound corny, but I'm always *so* excited to get my new phone when that time comes. And I always think, "Why? it's not like it'll make your life infinitely better (I have a great life! That was just my rationale.)". But I just can't seem to dull my excitement!

Of course, phones can have a way of "improving" specific aspects of your life that you want to document or share. For example, if you get a phone with a great camera and go on fun trips and vacations, then being able to take great pictures will help you remember and cherish those memories and get the utmost clarity on those moments. (That happened to me last weekend, actually, when my boyfriend proposed to me and his mom took pictures of us with my Pixel 2!). Or if you get a phone that has a strong battery life and you're a heavy user who needs that same phone for work, such a benefit may make your work day a little easier as far as not having to feel stressed about charging it when you are busy, etc. Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm always super thrilled to get a new phone; but the buzz does wear off for me after a while. Sometimes it's 6-8 months; or sometimes it's a year or thereabouts. It really depends.
    08-09-2018 05:59 AM
    I always get excited about the arrival and unboxing for sure, but the real follow up question is did you say yes??

You never know - maybe next year or later, you'll see a phone come out that will knock your socks off! And you'll love it for a long time!

This will sound corny, but I'm always *so* excited to get my new phone when that time comes. And I always think, "Why? it's not like it'll make your life infinitely better (I have a great life! That was just my rationale.)". But I just can't seem to dull my excitement!

Of course, phones can have a way of "improving" specific aspects of your life that you want to document or share. For example, if you get a phone with a great camera and go on fun trips and vacations, then being able to take great pictures will help you remember and cherish those memories and get the utmost clarity on those moments. (That happened to me last weekend, actually, when my boyfriend proposed to me and his mom took pictures of us with my Pixel 2!). Or if you get a phone that has a strong battery life and you're a heavy user who needs that same phone for work, such a benefit may make your work day a little easier as far as not having to feel stressed about charging it when you are busy, etc. Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm always super thrilled to get a new phone; but the buzz does wear off for me after a while. Sometimes it's 6-8 months; or sometimes it's a year or thereabouts. It really depends.
    Morty2264 and Hypnotoadd like this.
    08-09-2018 07:05 AM
    I always get excited about the arrival and unboxing for sure, but the real follow up question is did you say yes??
    That is always fun! And I absolutely said yes! 😀
    08-09-2018 07:12 AM
    The last phone I was truly excited about was the S7 edge but that was only because it was the first mainstream device with IP68 rating.

I'm getting old too, I guess.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    08-09-2018 07:55 AM
    I was seriously excited about my P2XL and still am all those months later. I was excited when my husband needed a new phone and I got him a P2 XL. I set it up for him and it was almost as exciting as if it were my own phone. i love a new phone.
    08-09-2018 08:27 AM
    I get what you're saying and I mostly agree that's how things work.. but for me... naaaah.... THRILL ON!
    phillyphreak and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-09-2018 08:27 AM
    The last phone I was truly excited about was the S7 edge but that was only because it was the first mainstream device with IP68 rating.

I'm getting old too, I guess.
    Got you beat. the one phone I was most excited about EVER, Most I've ever paid for a phone $1059) about $250 over list to get it first. Yeah, I was nuts in those days. The Nokia E90 communicator. My dream device. That was 11 years ago. No other phone has ever tripped my trigger as much. :-). A real powerhouse for it's time. And yeah, I'm probably older than most on here.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    08-09-2018 12:40 PM
    Now that I'm thinking about it the Samsung Galaxy S3 was the last phone I couldn't wait to get my hands on. The stupid, gimmicky ripple effect when you touched the screen actually had me excited. Also, it had some voice commands and motion capabilities with a fairly good sized screen for the time.
    08-09-2018 04:02 PM
    I love my Pixel 2XL, but the Note 9 is reeeaaaallly calling my name! Uugghh
    phillyphreak likes this.
    08-09-2018 05:03 PM
    Dooooo eeet
    I love my Pixel 2XL, but the Note 9 is reeeaaaallly calling my name! Uugghh
    KillerQ and aximtreo like this.
    08-09-2018 08:03 PM
    I don't get excited about any phone that is $1k plus just not worth it
    08-09-2018 08:24 PM
    I don't get excited about any phone that is $1k plus just not worth it
    Same, these days I'm much more rational. Also keeping a phone for two years is my new normal. Maybe longer if it still works and depending on what's new. I just don;t think mili-second faster processors are worth plopping down big bread. P3 isn't doing anything for me, very incremental from what I've seen/heard so far.
    08-09-2018 09:49 PM
    Now that I'm thinking about it the Samsung Galaxy S3 was the last phone I couldn't wait to get my hands on. The stupid, gimmicky ripple effect when you touched the screen actually had me excited. Also, it had some voice commands and motion capabilities with a fairly good sized screen for the time.
    And then within weeks the microphone died, Samsung refused to fix it and I ended up getting rid of mine for an iPhone 4s. Avoided Samsungs myself ever since that huge disappointment. I wanted that phone so badly and I was lumbered with a 2 year contract.
    08-09-2018 11:12 PM
    I phone is much better then Android but also expensive
    08-10-2018 01:26 AM
    Of course that's a matter of opinion. It's interesting that Android now has a market share of 85.9% and the iOS market share has now dwindled to only 14.1%.
    phillyphreak and Hypnotoadd like this.
    08-10-2018 01:57 AM
    But the spell check s....
    Ben_70 likes this.
    08-10-2018 02:39 AM
    So I just got a new Pixel 2 after my Moto G5 Plus took a dip in the Atlantic.And while I am very happy with the device and Android Pie, after getting things set up and playing around some I realized that the "new car smell" wears off quickly.

This is not a rant or complaint, I just find it less exciting then it used to be. I was a crackberry die hard in the beginning. Constantly flashing new roms and hybrids, and scanning the forums for anything new to download. Then I switched to Android and did the same thing. My phone had to have the latest os version and invite only / beta apps.

I guess I just find myself doing the same 5 or 6 things on my phone now and the bells and whistles just aren't as thrilling. Anyone else here experienced the same?
    It's the same for me. And my lack of posts lately prove it. I love phones, and I used to switch phones a lot to try out different features of different flagships, but lately they all seem to be too similar to bother. Nothing out right now gets me excited enough to spend the money on the hobby anymore. We'll see what comes with Pixel 3 I guess. But I have a feeling I won't be taking the plunge this time.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    08-10-2018 04:41 AM
    And then within weeks the microphone died, Samsung refused to fix it and I ended up getting rid of mine for an iPhone 4s. Avoided Samsungs myself ever since that huge disappointment. I wanted that phone so badly and I was lumbered with a 2 year contract.
    That sucks. I remember now reading the forums and people saying that. I was fortunate, never had any issues. I really liked that phone.
    08-10-2018 08:00 AM
    It's the same for me. And my lack of posts lately prove it. I love phones, and I used to switch phones a lot to try out different features of different flagships, but lately they all seem to be too similar to bother. Nothing out right now gets me excited enough to spend the money on the hobby anymore. We'll see what comes with Pixel 3 I guess. But I have a feeling I won't be taking the plunge this time.
    Pretty much exactly where I am. Again, I love this device and pie, just my level of enthusiasm about phone tech overall has dwindled and at this point I'm not sure what could ever revive it to the "good old days" Everything just works and it works great, which is a good thing. So as a result I spend less time on my device which I suppose is the goal but it's bittersweet I guess.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-10-2018 08:05 AM
    Pretty much exactly where I am. Again, I love this device and pie, just my level of enthusiasm about phone tech overall has dwindled and at this point I'm not sure what could ever revive it to the "good old days" Everything just works and it works great, which is a good thing. So as a result I spend less time on my device which I suppose is the goal but it's bittersweet I guess.
    I see what you are saying. On the one hand, it's good that the phone does what you need it to, and does it well, so you spend less time on it; but at the same time, it's sad because you want to spend time on it.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    08-10-2018 11:41 AM
    I have both and disagree. They each have their own merits, however if I could choose only one it would be Android. By the way they can both be expensive but Android has a lot more pricing options.
    08-10-2018 08:03 PM
    I see what you are saying. On the one hand, it's good that the phone does what you need it to, and does it well, so you spend less time on it; but at the same time, it's sad because you want to spend time on it.
    My wife told me that if I don't stop spending so much time on my phone she's gonna leave me.

I'm gonna miss her
    08-10-2018 08:08 PM
    My wife told me that if I don't stop spending so much time on my phone she's gonna leave me.

I'm gonna miss her
    Well, at least you can use all of that extra drawer space for phones!
    08-10-2018 08:52 PM

I'm gonna miss her
    Poor Mrs Dee
    08-11-2018 12:01 AM
54 123