The thrill is gone

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Camera has become a high priority for me as well and I have to say the Pixel 2 camera is awesome so far. Again, I'm really happy with the device, just a bit of the same old same old. Like it was mentioned before, it's just kinda peaked all around.

I feel like I should add that I don't really know what I expect or would even want my phone to do different or better at this point. Everything works great.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This is why I like having an iPhone as a back up device. When the pixel joy starts to wear off I get on the iPhone for a few days and I’m just about begging to come back to the pixel. Makes it seem all fresh again

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Android Pie kind of gave a fresh life to the pixel and got me back to using the pixel again for majority of my Android use. Have had pretty much every flagship phone released but as of now back to having two phones (iPhone X and Pixel 2), both because they get new software updates and I love having the latest software which gives new life to the phones. Might get the Note 9 if I get tempted but all eyes on the next iPhone and Pixel to replace my current iPhone and Pixel. Granted it's not as exciting as few years back but still some excitement left in me for new phones

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It is gone for me as well. Which is why I've decided to stop buying $700+ flagships. I'm switching to mid-range and budget devices from here on out.

Martell545

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
I'm telling you lol. I'm on MetroPCS and saving so much money on mid range phones. My k20 plus got a solid 2gb of ram and 32gb of memory and I got another 32gb memory card and a fingerprint scanner. Only paid a c note.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Phones are more of a work tool/Reminders/social media management machine for me now. I almost don't care about the manufacturer anymore other than if they release a quality device. I'm just not as into phone nerdism anymore.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You never know - maybe next year or later, you'll see a phone come out that will knock your socks off! And you'll love it for a long time!

This will sound corny, but I'm always *so* excited to get my new phone when that time comes. And I always think, "Why? it's not like it'll make your life infinitely better (I have a great life! That was just my rationale.)". But I just can't seem to dull my excitement!

Of course, phones can have a way of "improving" specific aspects of your life that you want to document or share. For example, if you get a phone with a great camera and go on fun trips and vacations, then being able to take great pictures will help you remember and cherish those memories and get the utmost clarity on those moments. (That happened to me last weekend, actually, when my boyfriend proposed to me and his mom took pictures of us with my Pixel 2!). Or if you get a phone that has a strong battery life and you're a heavy user who needs that same phone for work, such a benefit may make your work day a little easier as far as not having to feel stressed about charging it when you are busy, etc. Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm always super thrilled to get a new phone; but the buzz does wear off for me after a while. Sometimes it's 6-8 months; or sometimes it's a year or thereabouts. It really depends.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I always get excited about the arrival and unboxing for sure, but the real follow up question is did you say yes??

You never know - maybe next year or later, you'll see a phone come out that will knock your socks off! And you'll love it for a long time!

This will sound corny, but I'm always *so* excited to get my new phone when that time comes. And I always think, "Why? it's not like it'll make your life infinitely better (I have a great life! That was just my rationale.)". But I just can't seem to dull my excitement!

Of course, phones can have a way of "improving" specific aspects of your life that you want to document or share. For example, if you get a phone with a great camera and go on fun trips and vacations, then being able to take great pictures will help you remember and cherish those memories and get the utmost clarity on those moments. (That happened to me last weekend, actually, when my boyfriend proposed to me and his mom took pictures of us with my Pixel 2!). Or if you get a phone that has a strong battery life and you're a heavy user who needs that same phone for work, such a benefit may make your work day a little easier as far as not having to feel stressed about charging it when you are busy, etc. Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm always super thrilled to get a new phone; but the buzz does wear off for me after a while. Sometimes it's 6-8 months; or sometimes it's a year or thereabouts. It really depends.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The last phone I was truly excited about was the S7 edge but that was only because it was the first mainstream device with IP68 rating.

I'm getting old too, I guess.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I was seriously excited about my P2XL and still am all those months later. I was excited when my husband needed a new phone and I got him a P2 XL. I set it up for him and it was almost as exciting as if it were my own phone. i love a new phone.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The last phone I was truly excited about was the S7 edge but that was only because it was the first mainstream device with IP68 rating.

I'm getting old too, I guess.

Got you beat. the one phone I was most excited about EVER, Most I've ever paid for a phone $1059) about $250 over list to get it first. Yeah, I was nuts in those days. The Nokia E90 communicator. My dream device. That was 11 years ago. No other phone has ever tripped my trigger as much. :). A real powerhouse for it's time. And yeah, I'm probably older than most on here.

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Now that I'm thinking about it the Samsung Galaxy S3 was the last phone I couldn't wait to get my hands on. The stupid, gimmicky ripple effect when you touched the screen actually had me excited. Also, it had some voice commands and motion capabilities with a fairly good sized screen for the time.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't get excited about any phone that is $1k plus just not worth it

Same, these days I'm much more rational. Also keeping a phone for two years is my new normal. Maybe longer if it still works and depending on what's new. I just don;t think mili-second faster processors are worth plopping down big bread. P3 isn't doing anything for me, very incremental from what I've seen/heard so far.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Now that I'm thinking about it the Samsung Galaxy S3 was the last phone I couldn't wait to get my hands on. The stupid, gimmicky ripple effect when you touched the screen actually had me excited. Also, it had some voice commands and motion capabilities with a fairly good sized screen for the time.
And then within weeks the microphone died, Samsung refused to fix it and I ended up getting rid of mine for an iPhone 4s. Avoided Samsungs myself ever since that huge disappointment. I wanted that phone so badly and I was lumbered with a 2 year contract.