The thrill is gone

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
So I just got a new Pixel 2 after my Moto G5 Plus took a dip in the Atlantic.And while I am very happy with the device and Android Pie, after getting things set up and playing around some I realized that the "new car smell" wears off quickly.

This is not a rant or complaint, I just find it less exciting then it used to be. I was a crackberry die hard in the beginning. Constantly flashing new roms and hybrids, and scanning the forums for anything new to download. Then I switched to Android and did the same thing. My phone had to have the latest os version and invite only / beta apps.

I guess I just find myself doing the same 5 or 6 things on my phone now and the bells and whistles just aren't as thrilling. Anyone else here experienced the same?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I just got a new Pixel 2 after my Moto G5 Plus took a dip in the Atlantic.And while I am very happy with the device and Android Pie, after getting things set up and playing around some I realized that the "new car smell" wears off quickly.

This is not a rant or complaint, I just find it less exciting then it used to be. I was a crackberry die hard in the beginning. Constantly flashing new roms and hybrids, and scanning the forums for anything new to download. Then I switched to Android and did the same thing. My phone had to have the latest os version and invite only / beta apps.

I guess I just find myself doing the same 5 or 6 things on my phone now and the bells and whistles just aren't as thrilling. Anyone else here experienced the same?

As Android matures, this should be the case.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I have gone through the same thing with both phones and computers. After years of tweaking everything I could tweak, I have entered the twi-light of my tweaking years.

I think it is another version of the "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" syndrome - OR - maybe we have finally found contentment?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Phones have peaked (pretty much). Nothing has made me freak out like it did years ago. I still like new stuff but it isn't "OMG you see what that phone can do?!" type of things.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I get bore pretty quickly as well. Android and ios are very boring now. I want something different but there are no substitution. I used to love bb10 but app gap is huge and they’re now EOL.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
That's the reason I switched to Note8 and it keeps me excited with new stuff and new way of doing things. I didn't mean to say Note is better than pixel or pixel is better than note. I feel note series keeps me interested.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
That's the reason I switched to Note8 and it keeps me excited with new stuff and new way of doing things. I didn't mean to say Note is better than pixel or pixel is better than note. I feel note series keeps me interested.

Something to think about....I want to stay with Fi, but after 2 Pixels, maybe time to try something else for a while.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I get bore pretty quickly as well. Android and ios are very boring now. I want something different but there are no substitution. I used to love bb10 but app gap is huge and they’re now EOL.

My favourite phone was the Z30. It had decent power, nice screen, that amazing bb10 UI, and the ability to run Android apps.
I just came from the BlackBerry Priv to this Pixel 2 XL, on Android P and am enjoying it so far.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Download Amazon Kindle and discover the thrill of reading. There's far more to discover and learn in the world than finding a few new perks in a phone's operating system. :)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I used to be excited about tweaking phones as well. I'm also old (49). I've reached the stage of contentment with phones, so I've branched out in other directions to discover new interests. I joined a book club, so I read interesting novels and discuss them with interesting people. Yes, I use the Amazon Kindle app on my phone to read the books.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

That's why I have 4 phones from different manufacturer...lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I do feel like the "thrill" of my current phone love has tampered off a bit, over time... Such is normal, and such is the life of a cell phone addict. 🤣

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Been there, I used to root and ROM weekly because I always had to have the next bestest thing. Couldn't change phones fast enough (and didn't get to very often).

Then I hit 40 a couple years ago and life got busy with family and my career and it also got way harder to root and ROM devices and I just don't have the time or desire to keep up with it. I still keep up with the tech, but now I'm more looking at form factor, specs and features. Camera is high on my list right now.

I'm actually considering the note 9 if I can get the right deal but I'll likely go with the Pixel 3. Not sure I can handle all that comes with a Samsung device again but maybe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22