08-11-2018 05:55 PM
54 123
tools
    So I just got a new Pixel 2 after my Moto G5 Plus took a dip in the Atlantic.And while I am very happy with the device and Android Pie, after getting things set up and playing around some I realized that the "new car smell" wears off quickly.

This is not a rant or complaint, I just find it less exciting then it used to be. I was a crackberry die hard in the beginning. Constantly flashing new roms and hybrids, and scanning the forums for anything new to download. Then I switched to Android and did the same thing. My phone had to have the latest os version and invite only / beta apps.

I guess I just find myself doing the same 5 or 6 things on my phone now and the bells and whistles just aren't as thrilling. Anyone else here experienced the same?
    pkcable, Vega007 and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    08-08-2018 12:54 PM
    So I just got a new Pixel 2 after my Moto G5 Plus took a dip in the Atlantic.And while I am very happy with the device and Android Pie, after getting things set up and playing around some I realized that the "new car smell" wears off quickly.

This is not a rant or complaint, I just find it less exciting then it used to be. I was a crackberry die hard in the beginning. Constantly flashing new roms and hybrids, and scanning the forums for anything new to download. Then I switched to Android and did the same thing. My phone had to have the latest os version and invite only / beta apps.

I guess I just find myself doing the same 5 or 6 things on my phone now and the bells and whistles just aren't as thrilling. Anyone else here experienced the same?
    As Android matures, this should be the case.
    08-08-2018 01:02 PM
    I have gone through the same thing with both phones and computers. After years of tweaking everything I could tweak, I have entered the twi-light of my tweaking years.

I think it is another version of the "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" syndrome - OR - maybe we have finally found contentment?
    08-08-2018 01:04 PM
    Phones have peaked (pretty much). Nothing has made me freak out like it did years ago. I still like new stuff but it isn't "OMG you see what that phone can do?!" type of things.
    08-08-2018 01:04 PM
    4 posts, 4 sets of words, all saying the same thing - we are OLD! -
    08-08-2018 01:08 PM
    First world problems eh? You got a great phone though.
    billchat likes this.
    08-08-2018 01:09 PM
    As Android matures, this should be the case.
    I suppose that's true.
    08-08-2018 01:14 PM
    4 posts, 4 sets of words, all saying the same thing - we are OLD! -
    I was going to add that I am 43 now and that is most likely a contributor.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    08-08-2018 01:15 PM
    I get bore pretty quickly as well. Android and ios are very boring now. I want something different but there are no substitution. I used to love bb10 but app gap is huge and they’re now EOL.
    Laura Knotek and phillyphreak like this.
    08-08-2018 01:20 PM
    This is how I feel everytime I power up my 2XL, after 9 months. And I'm old.

The thrill is gone-grin.jpg
    08-08-2018 01:24 PM
    That's the reason I switched to Note8 and it keeps me excited with new stuff and new way of doing things. I didn't mean to say Note is better than pixel or pixel is better than note. I feel note series keeps me interested.
    phillyphreak and Silens like this.
    08-08-2018 01:27 PM
    That's the reason I switched to Note8 and it keeps me excited with new stuff and new way of doing things. I didn't mean to say Note is better than pixel or pixel is better than note. I feel note series keeps me interested.
    Something to think about....I want to stay with Fi, but after 2 Pixels, maybe time to try something else for a while.
    08-08-2018 01:50 PM
    I get bore pretty quickly as well. Android and ios are very boring now. I want something different but there are no substitution. I used to love bb10 but app gap is huge and they’re now EOL.
    My favourite phone was the Z30. It had decent power, nice screen, that amazing bb10 UI, and the ability to run Android apps.
    I just came from the BlackBerry Priv to this Pixel 2 XL, on Android P and am enjoying it so far.
    krazyatom and phillyphreak like this.
    08-08-2018 02:09 PM
    Download Amazon Kindle and discover the thrill of reading. There's far more to discover and learn in the world than finding a few new perks in a phone's operating system.
    08-08-2018 02:22 PM
    I used to be excited about tweaking phones as well. I'm also old (49). I've reached the stage of contentment with phones, so I've branched out in other directions to discover new interests. I joined a book club, so I read interesting novels and discuss them with interesting people. Yes, I use the Amazon Kindle app on my phone to read the books.
    08-08-2018 02:47 PM

That's why I have 4 phones from different manufacturer...lol
    jimbo1mcm likes this.
    08-08-2018 04:28 PM
    Sometimes I do feel like the "thrill" of my current phone love has tampered off a bit, over time... Such is normal, and such is the life of a cell phone addict. 🤣
    08-08-2018 04:49 PM
    Haha.... Exactly. My closet of t-shirts is definitely nearing capacity.
    08-08-2018 05:46 PM
    Been there, I used to root and ROM weekly because I always had to have the next bestest thing. Couldn't change phones fast enough (and didn't get to very often).

Then I hit 40 a couple years ago and life got busy with family and my career and it also got way harder to root and ROM devices and I just don't have the time or desire to keep up with it. I still keep up with the tech, but now I'm more looking at form factor, specs and features. Camera is high on my list right now.

I'm actually considering the note 9 if I can get the right deal but I'll likely go with the Pixel 3. Not sure I can handle all that comes with a Samsung device again but maybe.
    08-08-2018 08:09 PM
    Dually noted
    08-08-2018 08:29 PM
    Camera has become a high priority for me as well and I have to say the Pixel 2 camera is awesome so far. Again, I'm really happy with the device, just a bit of the same old same old. Like it was mentioned before, it's just kinda peaked all around.

I feel like I should add that I don't really know what I expect or would even want my phone to do different or better at this point. Everything works great.
    gebco, Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    08-08-2018 09:19 PM
    This is why I like having an iPhone as a back up device. When the pixel joy starts to wear off I get on the iPhone for a few days and I’m just about begging to come back to the pixel. Makes it seem all fresh again
    08-08-2018 10:18 PM
    Android Pie kind of gave a fresh life to the pixel and got me back to using the pixel again for majority of my Android use. Have had pretty much every flagship phone released but as of now back to having two phones (iPhone X and Pixel 2), both because they get new software updates and I love having the latest software which gives new life to the phones. Might get the Note 9 if I get tempted but all eyes on the next iPhone and Pixel to replace my current iPhone and Pixel. Granted it's not as exciting as few years back but still some excitement left in me for new phones
    aximtreo likes this.
    08-08-2018 11:17 PM
    It is gone for me as well. Which is why I've decided to stop buying $700+ flagships. I'm switching to mid-range and budget devices from here on out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-08-2018 11:29 PM
    I'm telling you lol. I'm on MetroPCS and saving so much money on mid range phones. My k20 plus got a solid 2gb of ram and 32gb of memory and I got another 32gb memory card and a fingerprint scanner. Only paid a c note.
    08-08-2018 11:39 PM
54 123