I hate the Pie update.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Awful, the gestures are terrible so I switched back to the old way (hope Google doesn't do away with the three buttons in the future). The new swipe up to end apps is the worst thing in the world of Android mostly because if you don't go 90° straight up then you have to keep trying to close the apps. Straight garbage. Never been so disappointed before in an Android OS before. I may try and go back to Oreo.

GOOGLE STOP TRYING TO BE APPLE. APPLE IS TRASH FOR A REASON.

The rest is ok at best. But, for me, those two things out weigh the good.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, I don't really see it as that much of a dealbreaker. After doing it for half a day, it's pretty much second nature for me. I agree it's nice that we can still use the old method, though.

Also, why are you trying to close apps? Let the system handle when apps are closed out of RAM.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Also, why are you trying to close apps? Let the system handle when apps are closed out of RAM.

Agreed.

Also, I can't say I agree with the premise that someone not liking a feature makes it trash nor one that states that not liking one optional feature equates to hating the whole OS. Seems hyperbolic a little.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Awful, the gestures are terrible so I switched back to the old way (hope Google doesn't do away with the three buttons in the future). The new swipe up to end apps is the worst thing in the world of Android mostly because if you don't go 90° straight up then you have to keep trying to close the apps. Straight garbage. Never been so disappointed before in an Android OS before. I may try and go back to Oreo.

I personally don't have that issue. Flick, flick, app closed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Just use the buttons until they fix the swipe gestures. The rest of the OS is enjoyable

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
The struggle is real for me. I'm very disappointed with the update. I have short thumbs that arc up the screen. I'd rather have the swipe left or right to clear apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The struggle is real for me. I'm very disappointed with the update. I have short thumbs that arc up the screen. I'd rather have the swipe left or right to clear apps.

That would interfere with Google now on left or any apps on right page

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hope this helps ease your concerns :).

Update: Android Central has revised its piece to note that “future Google phones… will ship with gesture navigation turned on by default.” This leaves open the possibility that the three-button navigation system will remain a user accessible option for the moment, though Google is clearly prioritizing gesture nav moving forward.

Source: https://9to5google.com/2018/08/06/google-pixel-3-android-pie-gesture-navigation/

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, why are you trying to close apps?
Let me give you an example of why I close apps: when I'm working I need access to 4 apps on a continuous basis. So I go in and swipe away all the other apps (or simply 'Clear all' and then open the ones I need) so that when I use the 'Recents' button I can easily switch between the ones I need to utilize without all these other apps being in the queue. YMMV.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Let me give you an example of why I close apps: when I'm working I need access to 4 apps on a continuous basis. So I go in and swipe away all the other apps (or simply 'Clear all' and then open the ones I need) so that when I use the 'Recents' button I can easily switch between the ones I need to utilize without all these other apps being in the queue. YMMV.

Makes sense

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a good use case scenario, but you're using the Recent Apps/Overview feature the way it was really intended to be -- a way to switch easily between recent apps, and not as a way to close apps to "clean RAM.":)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I'd be clumsy using my thumbs to swipe. A finger always does the trick much better.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My initial reaction was to keep "swipe up on home" disabled, but I've given it a try. After a day or so, it's fairly second nature now.

Edit: OK, losing the ability to swipe up anywhere on the home screen to get to the app drawer is a fail for me.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am loving the gestures! Sometimes I aim the wrong way by a hair when I swipe up and have to try again; but I'm absolutely loving them and the lack of virtual keys.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the gestures since the beta releases. I got used to it by the next day if not sooner. That's not to say that it should be that way for everyone. Maybe I'm just easy to please.