Galaxy Note 10 Deal: BOGO at Verizon!
04-07-2019 04:40 PM
109 123 ...
tools
    Awful, the gestures are terrible so I switched back to the old way (hope Google doesn't do away with the three buttons in the future). The new swipe up to end apps is the worst thing in the world of Android mostly because if you don't go 90° straight up then you have to keep trying to close the apps. Straight garbage. Never been so disappointed before in an Android OS before. I may try and go back to Oreo.

GOOGLE STOP TRYING TO BE APPLE. APPLE IS TRASH FOR A REASON.

The rest is ok at best. But, for me, those two things out weigh the good.
    08-09-2018 12:40 PM
    Gosh, I don't really see it as that much of a dealbreaker. After doing it for half a day, it's pretty much second nature for me. I agree it's nice that we can still use the old method, though.

Also, why are you trying to close apps? Let the system handle when apps are closed out of RAM.
    hub1, Kulana, elazar_13 and 2 others like this.
    08-09-2018 12:55 PM
    Also, why are you trying to close apps? Let the system handle when apps are closed out of RAM.
    Agreed.

Also, I can't say I agree with the premise that someone not liking a feature makes it trash nor one that states that not liking one optional feature equates to hating the whole OS. Seems hyperbolic a little.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-09-2018 01:01 PM
    Awful, the gestures are terrible so I switched back to the old way (hope Google doesn't do away with the three buttons in the future). The new swipe up to end apps is the worst thing in the world of Android mostly because if you don't go 90° straight up then you have to keep trying to close the apps. Straight garbage. Never been so disappointed before in an Android OS before. I may try and go back to Oreo.

I personally don't have that issue. Flick, flick, app closed.
    TheDonJ77, B. Diddy and Eggmundo like this.
    08-09-2018 01:29 PM

Just use the buttons until they fix the swipe gestures. The rest of the OS is enjoyable
    cellomj and ptkelly like this.
    08-09-2018 01:30 PM
    The struggle is real for me. I'm very disappointed with the update. I have short thumbs that arc up the screen. I'd rather have the swipe left or right to clear apps.
    Ulubalta likes this.
    08-09-2018 01:31 PM
    The struggle is real for me. I'm very disappointed with the update. I have short thumbs that arc up the screen. I'd rather have the swipe left or right to clear apps.
    That would interfere with Google now on left or any apps on right page
    08-09-2018 01:33 PM
    Hope this helps ease your concerns .

Update: Android Central has revised its piece to note that “future Google phones… will ship with gesture navigation turned on by default.” This leaves open the possibility that the three-button navigation system will remain a user accessible option for the moment, though Google is clearly prioritizing gesture nav moving forward.
    Source: https://9to5google.com/2018/08/06/go...re-navigation/
    08-09-2018 01:54 PM
    Also, why are you trying to close apps?
    Let me give you an example of why I close apps: when I'm working I need access to 4 apps on a continuous basis. So I go in and swipe away all the other apps (or simply 'Clear all' and then open the ones I need) so that when I use the 'Recents' button I can easily switch between the ones I need to utilize without all these other apps being in the queue. YMMV.
    08-09-2018 02:30 PM
    Let me give you an example of why I close apps: when I'm working I need access to 4 apps on a continuous basis. So I go in and swipe away all the other apps (or simply 'Clear all' and then open the ones I need) so that when I use the 'Recents' button I can easily switch between the ones I need to utilize without all these other apps being in the queue. YMMV.
    Makes sense
    08-09-2018 02:35 PM
    Switch to Nova, you customize the gestures or turn them off if that's what you want.
    08-09-2018 02:59 PM
    That's a good use case scenario, but you're using the Recent Apps/Overview feature the way it was really intended to be -- a way to switch easily between recent apps, and not as a way to close apps to "clean RAM."
    08-09-2018 03:07 PM
    get a different phone. problem solved....
    Ulubalta likes this.
    08-11-2018 07:43 PM
    I think its just a matter of ajusting to change then you'll like it
    bhatech likes this.
    08-11-2018 08:24 PM
    I'd be clumsy using my thumbs to swipe. A finger always does the trick much better.
    08-11-2018 08:37 PM
    Why are the gestures even an issue if you were able to use the old navbar?
    DMP89145 likes this.
    08-11-2018 08:38 PM
    My initial reaction was to keep "swipe up on home" disabled, but I've given it a try. After a day or so, it's fairly second nature now.

Edit: OK, losing the ability to swipe up anywhere on the home screen to get to the app drawer is a fail for me.
    08-11-2018 09:43 PM
    I am loving the gestures! Sometimes I aim the wrong way by a hair when I swipe up and have to try again; but I'm absolutely loving them and the lack of virtual keys.
    elazar_13 likes this.
    08-12-2018 11:02 AM
    How is it on the OnePlus? I assume the same or did they do some further tweaks?
    I think its just a matter of ajusting to change then you'll like it
    08-12-2018 12:14 PM
    I've been using the gestures since the beta releases. I got used to it by the next day if not sooner. That's not to say that it should be that way for everyone. Maybe I'm just easy to please.
    08-12-2018 12:24 PM
    Having use to be a big BB10 fan, I really enjoyed using the gestures. Definitely not on par with Blackberry, but it works well. After a few days I've become used to it and prefer it to Oreo.

With that being said, my Pixel 2 XL worked perfectly for 8 months without a single issue before this update. After the Pie update however, performance has definitely taken a hit. Hopefully Google releases some mini update that helps.
    medic22003 likes this.
    08-12-2018 01:01 PM
    Having use to be a big BB10 fan, I really enjoyed using the gestures. Definitely not on par with Blackberry, but it works well. After a few days I've become used to it and prefer it to Oreo.

With that being said, my Pixel 2 XL worked perfectly for 8 months without a single issue before this update. After the Pie update however, performance has definitely taken a hit. Hopefully Google releases some mini update that helps.
    I just came from BB10 as well and the Priv most recently. I also appreciate the gestures and like how the row above the search bar populates with the 5 of the most recently used apps. Makes going back and forth a breeze.
    Attached Thumbnails I hate the Pie update.-4694.jpg  
    DMP89145 and medic22003 like this.
    08-12-2018 02:13 PM
    How is it on the OnePlus? I assume the same or did they do some further tweaks?
    Same but you have Oxyogen OS with it so a bit more tweaking available
    Almeuit likes this.
    08-12-2018 02:14 PM
    I've been using the gestures since the beta releases. I got used to it by the next day if not sooner. That's not to say that it should be that way for everyone. Maybe I'm just easy to please.
    I have been doing the same and throughout the 4 betas and they improved it so much. If the OP tried using the first release he would have truly lost it. The pick up point for the swipe up got in the way, there was no "clear all" for recents and I don't think there was a simple gesture to get to the last app used at one point as well.

I do wish they would add in some more gesture functions and a bit of customization into it though.

... So I go in and swipe away all the other apps (or simply 'Clear all' and then open the ones I need) so that when I use the 'Recents' button I can easily switch between the ones I need to utilize without all these other apps being in the queue. YMMV.
    I went on a "I'm going to try to use all stock apps/launcher" binge, when the beta dropped and The Nav bar was the toughest to stomach by far. But you truly just need to give it a few days and you're muscle memory adjusts. I'm still working out the recents button delete though.

I do agree with some of what you're saying though. Because they did put the clear all in the wrong place within the new recents area. But, like I said above, at least there is one now. I'm with you on a lot of the rest. There is no reason to not have a dedicated button for recents, or they could at least option it in. Because the screen just looks lopsided with nothing next to the back button (which is almost always there)

That's a good use case scenario, but you're (not) using the Recent Apps/Overview feature the way it was really intended to be -- a way to switch easily between recent apps, and not as a way to close apps to "clean RAM."
    Recent apps was made just for that... Too access recent apps and switch between them. While I agree that it's main purpose wasn't to clear the apps, it truly has become integral to it. Even more so now, due to the lack of control the slider has. If the slider gets better I won't have as much of a problem with removal of a dedicated button. But when you're in a quick use situation and try to get the 3rd previous app, only to end up selecting the 7th app, it gets really frustrating.

They only thing I can think of is that they are trying to get ready for a single button interface and with that I agree with the "don't become Apple" comments.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-12-2018 03:17 PM
    I really like Android Pie, easy to use, not difficult at all. IDK if it's better than the old Oreo, but quite frankly both versions are winners in my book. Go Google!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-12-2018 03:30 PM
109 123 ...