09-28-2019 02:28 PM
60 123
tools
    This has been happening for a while now--it's not related to Android Pie--and it's really getting annoying. This morning, while starting my day, I put my phone in my pocket walked downstairs to my charger, pulled my phone out of my pocket and there was TweetCaster (a Twitter app) on my screen asking me if I wanted to Tweet, discard tweet, save as draft, or retweet with comment of the current tweet showing in that app. This is extremely odd because I haven't opened TweetCaster on my phone in weeks.

The sequence of events was:
    1. Unlock phone with fingerprint reader
    2. Note battery meter was at 45% and my phone needed a charge
    3. Soft press power button to turn off phone's screen
    4. Put phone in pocket. Walk downstairs to charger.
    5. Pull phone out of pocket to see TweetCaster engaged and ready to tweet!

This was a sequence of about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

In the past several months, with phone in my pocket and the screen having been shut off with a soft power button push, I have called people, "composed" text drafts (usually gibberish), had apps opened I didn't have open beforehand, opened the compose windwo in my email app, etc. Because this happens so frequently I ALWAYS soft press the power button to (I assume) shut off the screen and any possible chance of this sort of stuff occurring. The phone is supposed to be locked at this point, requiring my fingerprint or PIN to unlock it, isn't it?

So why does my phone spontaneously take actions while in my pocket?
    08-10-2018 09:49 AM
    I can't say. That is really odd. My phone has never done anything while in my pocket since it can't get past the lock screen... but also I just don't think it is activating. I wear loose jeans and my screen faces my leg.
    08-10-2018 10:32 AM
    I can't say. That is really odd. My phone has never done anything while in my pocket since it can't get past the lock screen... but also I just don't think it is activating. I wear loose jeans and my screen faces my leg.
    I wear loose shorts in summer and regular jeans in winter. I place my phone with screen facing my leg. Still, as you say, how does it get around the lockscreen? My previous phone, Moto Droid Turbo, had a sensor that would lock the screen when it was put in the pocket. I think it had the locking function tied to the ambient light sensor. I would hope that the Pixel 2 had this as well, but maybe not.

Most times if my phone calls someone from my pocket it will be the last person I had communicated with. And it doesn't only call people that I've just had a phone conversation with, it has called people that I just texted. So, maybe the act of walking or sitting down, or other movement somehow engages the phone icon for calling the contact? But again, the phone was given a soft shutdown before being placed in my pocket.

The incident today with TweetCaster kind of put me over the edge, causing me to ask the group what the heck is going on. Now that I think back on the problem, I've had my phone open my Kindle app, which I almost never use. There's been a couple of other apps that have opened that were really weird.
    08-10-2018 10:44 AM
    The phone is supposed to be locked at this point, requiring my fingerprint or PIN to unlock it, isn't it?
    Absolutely it is! That's the oddest part of it all and definitely a deeper issue with that device. No way should any of what you described be happening after that.
    08-10-2018 11:06 AM
    I wear loose shorts in summer and regular jeans in winter. I place my phone with screen facing my leg. Still, as you say, how does it get around the lockscreen? My previous phone, Moto Droid Turbo, had a sensor that would lock the screen when it was put in the pocket. I think it had the locking function tied to the ambient light sensor. I would hope that the Pixel 2 had this as well, but maybe not.

Most times if my phone calls someone from my pocket it will be the last person I had communicated with. And it doesn't only call people that I've just had a phone conversation with, it has called people that I just texted. So, maybe the act of walking or sitting down, or other movement somehow engages the phone icon for calling the contact? But again, the phone was given a soft shutdown before being placed in my pocket.

The incident today with TweetCaster kind of put me over the edge, causing me to ask the group what the heck is going on. Now that I think back on the problem, I've had my phone open my Kindle app, which I almost never use. There's been a couple of other apps that have opened that were really weird.
    Do you have any type of Smart Lock enabled? Like location?
    08-10-2018 11:17 AM
    What if one jams his hands in his jeans pockets as one often does and happens to touch the fingerprint sensor without thinking about it?
    08-10-2018 01:37 PM
    Do you have any type of Smart Lock enabled? Like location?
    Smart Lock on body detection set to OFF.

I have my home set as a Trusted Place. Hmm...

I have two trusted devices, my vehicle and my bluetooth earbuds. They are not connected when these spontaneous events occur.
    08-10-2018 01:48 PM
    What if one jams his hands in his jeans pockets as one often does and happens to touch the fingerprint sensor without thinking about it?
    99% sure that is not happening with my problem.
    08-10-2018 01:48 PM
    I have my home set as a Trusted Place. Hmm...
    If you were home and it happened -- this could be it. The phone still unlocks w/ fingerprint just fine even if it is "unlocked" due to location, bluetooth, or w/e.
    08-10-2018 02:37 PM
    Someone earlier this week mentioned a "possessed Pixel" ... and it definitely sounds like you have one!! Mine will turn the flashlight on when in my pocket ... not all the time, thank heavens! I really try hard to turn the screen off before putting it in my pocket, also.
    08-10-2018 04:19 PM
    If you were home and it happened -- this could be it. The phone still unlocks w/ fingerprint just fine even if it is "unlocked" due to location, bluetooth, or w/e.
    How is it opening apps and typing stuff?
    08-10-2018 04:43 PM
    Well technically if it's unlocking in your pocket it somehow is doing it from your leg. To be honest I am not sure how it would. I haven't had my phone (or even previous non-pixel phones) ever do it.
    How is it opening apps and typing stuff?
    08-10-2018 05:43 PM
    This is pretty strange. Never had this type of issue (knock on wood).
    08-11-2018 10:01 AM
    Ha! Mine turns the flashlight on in my pocket too. The other day I was on a shuttle bus and the guy next to me said "Excuse me, but whatever is in your pocket just turned a light on." LOL

It also makes phone calls from my pocket.

If I remember to turn the screen off before pocketing these things don't happen.
    08-13-2018 04:40 PM
    Someone earlier this week mentioned a "possessed Pixel" ... and it definitely sounds like you have one!! Mine will turn the flashlight on when in my pocket ... not all the time, thank heavens! I really try hard to turn the screen off before putting it in my pocket, also.
    Maybe your phone is afraid of the dark
    pankaj981 and jaybotinc like this.
    08-13-2018 04:51 PM
    This has been happening for a while now--it's not related to Android Pie--and it's really getting annoying. This morning, while starting my day, I put my phone in my pocket walked downstairs to my charger, pulled my phone out of my pocket and there was TweetCaster (a Twitter app) on my screen asking me if I wanted to Tweet, discard tweet, save as draft, or retweet with comment of the current tweet showing in that app. This is extremely odd because I haven't opened TweetCaster on my phone in weeks.

The sequence of events was:
    1. Unlock phone with fingerprint reader
    2. Note battery meter was at 45% and my phone needed a charge
    3. Soft press power button to turn off phone's screen
    4. Put phone in pocket. Walk downstairs to charger.
    5. Pull phone out of pocket to see TweetCaster engaged and ready to tweet!

This was a sequence of about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

In the past several months, with phone in my pocket and the screen having been shut off with a soft power button push, I have called people, "composed" text drafts (usually gibberish), had apps opened I didn't have open beforehand, opened the compose windwo in my email app, etc. Because this happens so frequently I ALWAYS soft press the power button to (I assume) shut off the screen and any possible chance of this sort of stuff occurring. The phone is supposed to be locked at this point, requiring my fingerprint or PIN to unlock it, isn't it?

So why does my phone spontaneously take actions while in my pocket?
    Omg this is totally happened to me on several occasions, I thought it was just me. I would put the phone in my pocket and then two minutes later it would be calling someone, or texting weird stuff to people. I have no idea what causes it.
    jaybotinc likes this.
    08-13-2018 06:05 PM
    I'm having the same issue Google pixel 2 XL... I noticed it mostly happens when it's really hot outside and my phone is facing my leg... Obviously there's some type of key pressing... Mine's even go so far as to sending pictures I almost want to shut my phone off each time I put it in my pocket because this is extremely annoying and slightly frightening as far as sending the random pictures to random people in my contact list
    07-19-2019 09:14 PM
    I'm having the same issue Google pixel 2 XL... I noticed it mostly happens when it's really hot outside and my phone is facing my leg... Obviously there's some type of key pressing... Mine's even go so far as to sending pictures I almost want to shut my phone off each time I put it in my pocket because this is extremely annoying and slightly frightening as far as sending the random pictures to random people in my contact list
    Don't know what hot weather would have to do with it, but I just went through another weekend where my Pixel 2XL spontaneously did a bunch of stuff while in my pocket, and yes, look at the calendar and it's July. My OP was last August. Weird.

While in my pocket my phone turned on my flashlight twice, had composed a text consisting of gibberish, and was three sequential steps into an app I rarely use (had to use the back arrow three times to exit it.) Can't remember which one it was now.
    07-22-2019 11:45 AM
    I have had numerous issues similar to those already mentioned. When I pull my phone out of my pocket it may be trying to make a video call, show the current weather, open an app. or start a text to name a few. I contacted Google and, although helpful by listening to my issues, they were not able to resolve the problem. My only option is to turn off the screen before I put it in my pocket...... That is not a reasonable solution. I love this phone in every way except for this issue. Any ideas???
    08-02-2019 05:59 PM
    After spending a lot of time trying to figure out this problem a I may know what's happening...at least in my situation. I believe the right navigation button, (recently opened apps) is the most likely culprit. I think it senses activation and is opening random apps. Does this sound plausible?
    08-05-2019 10:00 AM
    After spending a lot of time trying to figure out this problem a I may know what's happening...at least in my situation. I believe the right navigation button, (recently opened apps) is the most likely culprit. I think it senses activation and is opening random apps. Does this sound plausible?
    The culprit is that you need to turn off the screen before putting it in your pocket. Leaving the screen on when you put it in your pocket your apps and whatever is on the screen will activate with touches inside your pocket. The only way to stop it is to turn off the screen.
    Rukbat likes this.
    08-05-2019 03:08 PM
    The culprit is that you need to turn off the screen before putting it in your pocket. Leaving the screen on when you put it in your pocket your apps and whatever is on the screen will activate with touches inside your pocket. The only way to stop it is to turn off the screen.
    Yes, one would think this would stop the problem from happening. I always turn off my screen with a soft press of the power button before putting my phone in my pocket. But no, I can tell you it does not stop it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why it happens.
    jaybotinc likes this.
    08-06-2019 09:18 AM
    I've been encountering this issue, too. In my case, at least, it can't be the result of a failure to close the screen, because I always close the screen before sliding the P2XL into its leather sleeve case and placing it in my left front pocket. Initially, I thought it might be a defect in the Weather Channel app, because that one was almost always the culprit when I experienced a "spontaneous opening." Since removing it, however, the problem has been recurring with other apps, and also with some settings. I've noticed that the phenomenon seems to happen with a recently used app or setting; so there may be something to the suggestion that the problem lies with pages that have not been completely closed and dismissed after use. Going forward, I'm going to try clearing all of the recently opened pages before closing the screen and see whether that resolves the issue.
    08-06-2019 11:50 AM
    I turn off the screen every time before slipping it into my pocket. About half the time when I turn it back on it's open to something I've never used. Very puzzled!! I checked the Pixel 3 forum but didn't find any similar issues.
    08-07-2019 08:09 AM
    Answered a text from a person yesterday, soft powered down the device, put it in my pocket and a moment later I was making a video call to this same person. I've NEVER made a video call, don't even know how to do it, yet here my phone was making one for me!
    jaybotinc likes this.
    08-09-2019 10:03 AM
60 123