Pie Screen Goes Black When I click on Email/SMS

mmessier2

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I just did the update to Pie on my XL 2 this morning... Seems ok I guess

Biggest problem I have is that when my phone is resting and I get an email/SMS/ and notification and I double tap on it, instead of opening my notification the screen goes black with the menu buttons on the bottom. I have to use the side button on my phone to click the screen off, then back on to open and read my notification.

This is awful, I must be doing something wrong... any help?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the same problem since Pie. My phone is in my hand, I've send or received a text and the screen goes black. I still have the notification line across the top and home key at the bottom. I have to hit the power button twice to get an active screen back.

This is new since Pie.
Screenshot_20180817-073608.jpg

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Happened again to me. The odd part is, the Home and Back button won't work, but I can do a screenshot. So physical buttons work, because it's the Power button that gets me out of the black screen.
Screenshot_20180817-132655.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone is in my hand, I've send or received a text and the screen goes black. I still have the notification line across the top and home key at the bottom.
You're using the stock Messages app?
As a test, if you send a TM and then press the 'Home' button (to switch away from that app) and then let the screen timeout, does the same problem occur?
An alternate option to try is to temporarily disable the Gestures interface and see if the problem repeats.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
That is not normal behavior.

Anyone experiencing this issue should try running their phone in safe mode for awhile to see if the issue occurs in safe mode where 3rd party apps can't run. If the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, that's an indication that the problem is being caused by a 3rd party app that will need to be found and removed.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You're using the stock Messages app?
As a test, if you send a TM and then press the 'Home' button (to switch away from that app) and then let the screen timeout, does the same problem occur?
An alternate option to try is to temporarily disable the Gestures interface and see if the problem repeats.

Yes, using stock Messages. I tried the test and the phone didn't fail. I haven't gotten the black screen in a few days now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance