Pie update - battery life is gone

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I highly recommend doing a factory reset in situations like this. I know most people don't like to and it can be a hassle but I do it almost monthly and it's really not a big deal to me. Yes, it will take a couple days to set all your apps back up as you use them but I find I end up trimming down apps and sometimes changing how my phone is setup to making things leaner and more efficient.

Anyway, you might want to consider a factory reset, it tends to cure most issues with major version updates. I'm getting great battery life especially now a couple weeks into Pie.

Doing a factory reset every month or couple of months is a really good idea - thanks for sharing that too! It'd be worth it to better customize your phone and to make it more efficient.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset every month or couple of months is a really good idea - thanks for sharing that too! It'd be worth it to better customize your phone and to make it more efficient.
You'll be amazed at the little things you find.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You'll be amazed at the little things you find.

I bet! With each new phone I get, I always try to start off small with only a handful of apps; but I always end up with a ton by the end of my usage cycle and I'm sure that clogs up its performance. With my Pixel 2, I'm trying really hard to minimize app downloads and to not clog up its memory or storage space. So I'm sure that a factory reset every now and then could only help.

Jash777

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
I highly recommend doing a factory reset in situations like this. I know most people don't like to and it can be a hassle but I do it almost monthly and it's really not a big deal to me. Yes, it will take a couple days to set all your apps back up as you use them but I find I end up trimming down apps and sometimes changing how my phone is setup to making things leaner and more efficient.

Anyway, you might want to consider a factory reset, it tends to cure most issues with major version updates. I'm getting great battery life especially now a couple weeks into Pie.
I did factory reset but SoT is still not good as with Oreo. My SoT with LTE is 4 hours and with wifi 5 hours. With Oreo i had 1 hour more.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did factory reset but SoT is still not good as with Oreo. My SoT with LTE is 4 hours and with wifi 5 hours. With Oreo i had 1 hour more.
It might take a week or two for it to figure things out. I am thinking I won't be resetting as much as I like to because the adaptive battery needs time to learn.

That said it does seem inconsistent but a lot of days now it's far better than it used to be.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I noticed something else today, which I think is new after Pie. When I have wi-fi and mobile data turned on at home (with good cell and wi-fi signal), the battery drains noticeably faster than if I keep wi-fi off. I don't recall that being the case before. For instance, today at 11 PM, my battery is currently at 77% (took it off charger at 7 AM). In past days when I was keeping wi-fi on all the time, it would be in the 50s about now.

I have unlimited data on T-Mobile, so it's no big deal for me, but hopefully this doesn't cause headaches for others.

This doesn't sound right. Ive not had this experience at all and battery is better than any other android I've ever had. I leave wifi and mobile data on always. My wifi is only set to work at home and is not set to ever scan for networks. When I used to have UL data I never bothered with wifi unless it was the only option.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
When having issues that just dont seem to clear up a factory reset is probably the next thing to do. But monthly as a regular routine is certainly overkill. But whatever floats your boat.

Jash777

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
It might take a week or two for it to figure things out. I am thinking I won't be resetting as much as I like to because the adaptive battery needs time to learn.

That said it does seem inconsistent but a lot of days now it's far better than it used to be.
I did reset about 3 weeks ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't sound right. Ive not had this experience at all and battery is better than any other android I've ever had. I leave wifi and mobile data on always. My wifi is only set to work at home and is not set to ever scan for networks. When I used to have UL data I never bothered with wifi unless it was the only option.

Yeah, if it gets to be enough of an issue, I'll consider a factory reset. Might try a more formal comparison first, since this was more of a general impression.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Okay ... you guys have convinced me that I should do a factory reset, as my battery useage has increased since Pie. I have uninstalled several apps that I wasn't really using, and 3 of the 4 that the battery app said were using a lot of power in the background, I don't use social media apps AT ALL, and still am using more battery than when on Oreo. I've never done a factory reset, I use Microsoft Launcher, Drive, and One Drive, so everything should be backed up, _/\_. (I checked and found my pictures, documents, and a bunch of other stuff that I have no idea why is there.) Now all I have to do is get over my irrational fear that I will brick my phone by doing something stupid!

Jash777

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
My Pixel 2 is crazy. It changes settings from 15% to 99% and activates battery saving itself 🤯
1105a3df564245116ca7f97b4b96cf12.jpg

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It's not just Pixels - it appears to be a Pie thing. It's happening on Essential phones and other phones with Pie update.

Strange indeed.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't often charge my phone to 100% but since I accidentally did it I figured I'd post the battery stats. This is a Pixel 2 XL on Pie and the battery life is about what I'd expect for a normal day where I worked for a few hours with the screen constantly on.
AccuBattery shows pretty decent battery health for a device purchased in late December.
eaeb57b014e0b2b341fc736c379a6ab5.jpg
6606e76d94be381bef1ec1dfb8725a27.jpg
4bee4c43050938291c086ecab41dbce1.jpg
7b9cefdfea26481f7fc23cf1434a0932.jpg
79d0e1787dd3a6627245c1af2bbe5e91.jpg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Update: Over the past few days, it looks like my battery life has declined slightly. It could just be things like using data, Facebook (which is a big battery hog), etc; but I'm going to keep an eye on things. I haven't had a chance to really monitor my usage this week so when the weekend rolls around, I'll check things out more thoroughly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc