LED Notification Light!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So, for four months I just never had the LED notification light turned on - in fact, I'd go looking for it and just didn't see it in my Settings app - and found that I just didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. I just downloaded Pie a little over a week ago and just stumbled upon the "blink light" setting. Hmm, interesting! I rather like the LED light. I think I'll try it out for a day or so and see how it goes.

Has anyone else decided to use the "blink light," as Google calls it; or have you found that you don't really need it/miss it all that much? It's really nice that Google included both AOD and the option to have the LED notification light.

I turned off AOD almost as soon as I got the phone, and I've found that I really don't miss a lot of notifications at all. Double tap to wake solves everything for the most part.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
You know, Cynthia, I hadn't even noticed my LED wasn't working. Wonder how long that has been happening? Have just put the blink light option on, since you mentioned it. I wonder if mine has been off since the betas?

Glad I follow you on Tapatalk!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You know, Cynthia, I hadn't even noticed my LED wasn't working. Wonder how long that has been happening? Have just put the blink light option on, since you mentioned it. I wonder if mine has been off since the betas?

Oh wow! Has it started to work now? Let us know! I couldn't even find the option to turn it on under 8.0. I had heard that the Pixel 2 line would have the option for an LED notification light but could never find it until the 9.0 update.

You're sweet! I always enjoy seeing your posts!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh wow! Has it started to work now? Let us know! I couldn't even find the option to turn it on under 8.0. I had heard that the Pixel 2 line would have the option for an LED notification light but could never find it until the 9.0 update.

You're sweet! I always enjoy seeing your posts!
Ditto.

Dunno if it works yet. Just turned it on too

00stryder

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Coming from BlackBerry, I'm used to the LED though I also use AOD as well. Using the BlackBerry Hub to handle email/social media communications automatically sets up the LED light to work, with customizable LED color schemes as well.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Never used the LED blinker much. Then after the update I decided to try it and turned it on, enabled everything and it only blinks for texts! Weird. Kinda nice having it for texts only tho actually. Never was much of a blinking lite guy anyway.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Never used the LED blinker much. Then after the update I decided to try it and turned it on, enabled everything and it only blinks for texts! Weird. Kinda nice having it for texts only tho actually. Never was much of a blinking lite guy anyway.

That's interesting that it only works for texts! I turned it on before bed and have only received texts during that time; so I wasn't aware of that haha. It's a cool feature. That's kind of unfortunate that it only goes off for texts messages, though!

00stryder

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It can be used for more than texts, I'm assuming it's how the individual apps that the LED is link to are currently configured on your device. For example, through BlackBerry Hub I have it blink light blue for BBM messages, darker blue for texts (I use Textra), green for work emails, red for personal (Gmail) emails, and purple for Viber messages. It blinks white for apps that I haven't explicitly configured, such as my secure messaging program I use for work.
That's interesting that it only works for texts! I turned it on before bed and have only received texts during that time; so I wasn't aware of that haha. It's a cool feature. That's kind of unfortunate that it only goes off for texts messages, though!

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
+1

Also coming from BlackBerry I find I rely on the led. Baked in notifications aren't quite as robust as BB 10 was though, so for the full effect apps are required.

It can be used for more than texts, I'm assuming it's how the individual apps that the LED is link to are currently configured on your device. For example, through BlackBerry Hub I have it blink light blue for BBM messages, darker blue for texts (I use Textra), green for work emails, red for personal (Gmail) emails, and purple for Viber messages. It blinks white for apps that I haven't explicitly configured, such as my secure messaging program I use for work.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you are right! I just found this out when I got an email just now! Ah, I love BB Hub. :)

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I use Light Manager & it works well (I haven't upgraded to Pie yet so can't comment on that).
I was a Blackberry user so have always appreciated a customizable LED.
I use different colors for texts vs personal email vs work email.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
So, for four months I just never had the LED notification light turned on - in fact, I'd go looking for it and just didn't see it in my Settings app - and found that I just didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. I just downloaded Pie a little over a week ago and just stumbled upon the "blink light" setting. Hmm, interesting! I rather like the LED light. I think I'll try it out for a day or so and see how it goes.

Has anyone else decided to use the "blink light," as Google calls it; or have you found that you don't really need it/miss it all that much? It's really nice that Google included both AOD and the option to have the LED notification light.

I turned off AOD almost as soon as I got the phone, and I've found that I really don't miss a lot of notifications at all. Double tap to wake solves everything for the most part.

So, pre-9.0, there was an LED not being used at all?!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I use Light Flow and none of my LEDs are working on Pie. Oh well. Also noticed that notifications don't pop up with the app name anymore so I have had to reset them all in light flow using the name that pops up. On Discord, for instance I have to have a separate notification now for each person I speak to. Very confusing.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, but it's fine as is and doesn't bother me. I actually prefer the notification dots to the blinky light anyway. ;)

dennis246

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
If you are the type of person who doesn't check their phone constantly (me!) then a blink light-notification light is really essential. If the light is not blinking I simply go back to doing whatever, which is probably far more interesting than staring at a phone :). Multiply by a thousand the importance of a blink-notification light if Do No Disturb is on.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you are the type of person who doesn't check their phone constantly (me!) then a blink light-notification light is really essential. If the light is not blinking I simply go back to doing whatever, which is probably far more interesting than staring at a phone :). Multiply by a thousand the importance of a blink-notification light if Do No Disturb is on.
I saw a blink just now. Only for a moment but it blinked!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs