Camera is absolute garbage after Pie update

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been running Pie since the open beta was available. I noticed drastically decline overall camera performance pretty quickly. I assumed once the stable build came, it would go back to business as usual. Stable came and my photos still sucked.

I was having some other issues with my phone so I got a replacement. I was assuming that a new device would fix my issues. Well again, I was wrong.

Exposure is terrible and portrait mode is an absolute joke. It won't even recognize my dog anymore. When it does recognize objects, the edges are terrible.

Anyone having similar issues?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been running Pie since the open beta was available. I noticed drastically decline overall camera performance pretty quickly. I assumed once the stable build came, it would go back to business as usual. Stable came and my photos still sucked.

I was having some other issues with my phone so I got a replacement. I was assuming that a new device would fix my issues. Well again, I was wrong.

Exposure is terrible and portrait mode is an absolute joke. It won't even recognize my dog anymore. When it does recognize objects, the edges are terrible.

No. My camera is superb as always. Can you show us some of your photos?

Last edited:

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
No. My camera is superb as always. Can you show us some of your photos?
Sure. Photo of the tree is a couple months after I got my phone. Water bottle is recent. The tree is a much more complex shape but the AI did a great job of determining foreground from background. Now I take a picture of a super simple water bottle and it has no idea.
cf972d9e8b12183d71a1fb9d548c5e30.jpg
c59569def1355aae7e9122b490491d21.jpg

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
No question about it, AI in portrait mode certainly isn't perfect and sometimes misses. I think this example was confused by the top of the water bottle being backlit from the window behind it.

For me I'd say that portrait mode yields about a 70-80% ratio of keepers. For non-portrait mode it's closer to 90-100% keepers, depending on the lighting of course.

How is your photo quality for photos that aren't done using portrait mode that aren't relying on AI for edge definition?

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
They're not terrible, but they're definitely not exposed as well as they were pre-update. I will say most of the issues are specific to portrait mode. They object detection is just really bad. It wouldn't even recognize this scarecrow. The photo I'm posting is without portrait mode. Just an example of not so great exposure.
0df8ec5f6c1dcec0ecde70714fdbe952.jpg

Derek Wright

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Not enhanced. It slows the camera down too much. Obviously you get better images but I never used it before.

I have a Pixel 2 XL and the difference in speed between HDR+ Enhanced ON or OFF just isn't meaningful enough to notice. But the difference in dynamic range between using or not using HDR+ is huge and very dramatic. If you had taken that last picture of the scarecrow with HDR+ Enhanced turned ON, the sky would not be blown out and all your colors would pop. Trust me, you'd never turn it OFF again! I never turn HDR+ Enhanced OFF, ever.

Give it a thorough test. Take the same images that have demanding dynamic range that contain some bright sky with HDR+ Enhanced turned ON and then turned OFF with no HDR. Compare images and see what you think.

Last edited:

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pixel 2 XL and the difference in speed between HDR+ Enhanced ON or OFF just isn't meaningful enough to notice. But the difference in dynamic range between using or not using HDR+ is huge and very dramatic. If you had taken that last picture of the scarecrow with HDR+ Enhanced turned ON, the sky would not be blown out and all your colors would pop. Trust me, you'd never turn it OFF again! I never turn HDR+ Enhanced OFF, ever.

Give it a thorough test. Take the same images that have demanding dynamic range that contain some bright sky with HDR+ Enhanced turned ON and then turned OFF with no HDR. Compare images and see what you think.
I'll give it a shot! (No pun intended)

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The standard HDR+ mode does not do much exposure compensation... In On, that is what is causing that delay when taking the picture. It's a matter of picking the correct mode for the scene... And choosing the exposure and focus point.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
The standard HDR+ mode does not do much exposure compensation... In On, that is what is causing that delay when taking the picture. It's a matter of picking the correct mode for the scene... And choosing the exposure and focus point.
That hasn't been my experience. I have been using HDR+ exclusively since day 1. I would tap my intended focus point and snap away. Typically, HDR+ would get my exposure pretty close to where I want it. Even if the background looked blown out in the viewfinder, the finished photo would be well exposed. That's rarely the case now. Here's another photo I took the other day. Before the trees in the background would be nice and crisp. In this photo they are blown out and blurry.
548f657ec5a1c73d40ad269e87459431.jpg

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When you are "close focused" on your dog, I wouldn't expect the trees in the background to also be in focus. If you were to tap on the trees in the background to focus on them, the dog would now be blurry and no longer in focus. With the Pixel 2 camera this is the behavior I would expect.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

No change in my camera

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Weird, I got the official Pie update a few days before I went on vacation in August and used it for pics the whole trip and got some killer shots. Maybe you need to do a reset or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles