Turns out I don't like it. I've tried it for as long as it's been available, but it just makes my screen too bright lol
    09-18-2018 12:04 AM
    yeah mine has a mind of its own, sometimes too bright or dim lol
    09-18-2018 12:21 AM
    Turns out I don't like it. I've tried it for as long as it's been available, but it just makes my screen too bright lol
    For some reason screen brightness is something that I've never liked automated. I tried the new adaptive brightness for a day but I couldn't handle it LOL it's been off ever since.
    09-18-2018 03:12 AM
    I've been using the adaptive brightness as well. Not sure that I like it completely either. My eyes seem to like it brighter than it wants to be in low light situations. I wonder how much battery we save using it.
    09-18-2018 09:39 AM
    I don't think I'm getting any battery saving it of it.. I might just go back to Lux.
    09-18-2018 10:24 AM
    I've never used any kind of auto brightness feature. They always seem to make it to bright or not bright enough. Set it at 85% and found a sweet spot.
    09-18-2018 12:40 PM
    Count me as not being a fan of auto brightness.
    I like to be in total control of my brightness.
    I'm usually adjusting as needed for my current environment.
    I almost always set my brightness by "squeeze" and then "set brightness to xx percent".
    About 15% for reading in bed with the lights off.
    40 to 50% for most indoor use.
    100% when outdoors (or when I want to show someone my pictures or my Pixel phone).
    09-18-2018 03:02 PM
    I'm curious if it works like Samsung phones, that if you leave it in auto brightness you get maximum brightness rather then no auto and adjusting it ?
    09-18-2018 03:49 PM
    I also find the Adaptive Brightness lacking.

I used Lux while I had my LG G4 3 years ago (good to see you again Jeremiah). It worked very well, but I didn't need a third party app when I had my S7 Edge.

I don't recall where I saw the recommendation, but I downloaded Velis Auto Brightness to my PXL2 quite a while ago. It's worked great.

So, there are a couple of apps I can recommend as options.
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    09-18-2018 03:54 PM
    I don't like it much either. But I am pretty much blind so it helps me. Not good for battery through Still pretty darn good.
    09-18-2018 04:03 PM
    Before Pie update I didn't like it. But since Google was making a Big Deal about the AI learning of the adaptive brightness in Pie, I decided to try it. I like it. Before Pie I kept my brightness at 20 unless I was in bright light. In those instances I turned it up to whatever setting worked, like 60 or 80 or whatever. Typically I would need to turn up the brightness around noon and turn it back down after dinner. But I haven't touched my brightness setting since I went to adaptive mode. I haven't noticed any loss of battery life, in fact, maybe I've gained a bit.
    09-18-2018 05:46 PM
    Hey good to see you too.. I was trying out Velis but I think I may like lux a little better.. Giving it a spin.. It's been so long since I used these type of apps.
    I also find the Adaptive Brightness lacking.

I used Lux while I had my LG G4 3 years ago (good to see you again Jeremiah). It worked very well, but I didn't need a third party app when I had my S7 Edge.

I don't recall where I saw the recommendation, but I downloaded Velis Auto Brightness to my PXL2 quite a while ago. It's worked great.

So, there are a couple of apps I can recommend as options.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-18-2018 06:20 PM
    Mine has been pushed nearly all the time. I do live in San Diego where it's sunny all the time.. But I also don't need it blasting while I'm in the office. I think it just seems extra bright to me because it's my first AMOLED screen. My screen time has gone down since pie.. It seems. But that just goes to show you that the adaptive battery isn't a cookie cutter method. Literally everyone's is different. So I guess that's the point?
    Before Pie update I didn't like it. But since Google was making a Big Deal about the AI learning of the adaptive brightness in Pie, I decided to try it. I like it. Before Pie I kept my brightness at 20 unless I was in bright light. In those instances I turned it up to whatever setting worked, like 60 or 80 or whatever. Typically I would need to turn up the brightness around noon and turn it back down after dinner. But I haven't touched my brightness setting since I went to adaptive mode. I haven't noticed any loss of battery life, in fact, maybe I've gained a bit.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-18-2018 06:22 PM
    I don't love it either. I liked it better on Oreo. I could set 35% as my base and it would range automatically around that. Worked great. Now I get blinded every morning and it's not bright enough for videos on lunch. I find it highly irritating.
    09-18-2018 11:38 PM
    I actually like it. It's worked great for me so far. The first few days I made adjustments in a few different environments and it's been pretty spot on after that.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-18-2018 11:44 PM
    I'm in agreement here. Immediately after the Pie update, it seemed like it always wanted to make it way brighter than I wanted. But I had read about the AI learning in the Pie update and figured I needed to "train" the auto-brightness. So for about two days, I was constantly adjusting the brightness in every situation to get it where I wanted it, which was a bit annoying, but since then, I have barely needed to touch it. It's been spot on 99% of the time.

KPMcClave, PowrDroid and DMP89145 like this.
    09-19-2018 09:37 AM
    After reading the comments about how well the new Adaptive Brightness works with AI, I'm going to give it a try. This old dog is always willing to learn new tricks! I'm turning Adaptive Brightness back on and I'll see if it learns my preferences.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    09-19-2018 11:39 AM
    So I tried using Assistant to change settings today. The first few times I did it GA worked great. Them I tried to do it again this evening and all GA wanted to do was give me search results for changing auto brightness in Windows 7.....

WTF?!?
    09-19-2018 11:50 PM
    So I tried using Assistant to change settings today. The first few times I did it GA worked great. Them I tried to do it again this evening and all GA wanted to do was give me search results for changing auto brightness in Windows 7.....

WTF?!?
    It's funny how the scale is different using GA.
    09-20-2018 08:11 AM
    It's funny how the scale is different using GA.
    Yeah it does seem more like it did on Oreo.

What I also realized this morning is that if you change it with GA it turns adaptive brightness off unless you turn it back on. So when I was getting Windows 7 results when I was trying to turn adaptive brightness off it was because it was already off. Which if I'm being honest I kind of like.

This also means I've finally come around on the squeeze and GA, I had very little use for them before this.
    09-20-2018 08:25 AM

WTF?!?
    GA is very picky about the exact phrasing of your request. I remember when I was on manual brightness settings GA would respond to, "set screen to 20", by adjusting the brightness but when I said, "set screen brightness to 20", I would get search results on how to set screen brightness.
    09-20-2018 09:13 AM