Switched from iPhone & results are...meh

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They are both really smooth, I just upgraded to the XS Max from the X for my personal phone and it’s oiled up, lubricated and finely tuned compared to the X. I would definitely say it’s smoother so far than the Pixel but the pixel is a fantastic phone and I have literally nothing to complain about from it other than sometimes the tap to wake function doesn’t work.

The newer iPhones probably are smoother do to 4 GB ram now compared to the x that has 3

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switched from iPhone & results are...meh

But if I am using a non-stock launcher, such as Nova, do I not run the risk of the phone crashing? How reliable are these 3rd party launchers? Also, your icons are amazing - how do I get those?
Any OS needs a launcher of some sort. Linux calls it a window manager and you choose which one you like. The launcher which comes as the default is just a launcher like any other and you can choose an alternative on Android, unlike iOS where you're stuck with Apple's awful UI. Choosing an alternative like Nova Launcher just means that you're using a different launcher. It doesn't run on top of the default launcher, it replaces it and is often better that what comes with the phone. Here's my first home screen on my Samsung Galaxy S9 running Nova.

0NsJkrA.jpg

Interestingly I bought an iPhone Xs on Friday after years with Android and I absolutely hated it. I couldn't believe how clunky the UI was and how modern features seem to have been bolted on to an ageing OS. I couldn't create much of the functionality I take for granted on Android. Widgets are just awful on iOS - they appear in a bolt-on pane off the home screen and are nowhere near as configurable as Android. iOS settings are an embarrassment - a huge long list with minimal categorisation and you usually have to go there to change the setting for apps, rather than in the app itself. I returned the Xs for refund on Saturday and I appreciate Android even more now.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am now using Niagara Launcher. It is clean and fast. The developer is making improvements all the time.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bitpit.launcher
aaae21f0cd822a9768a77c4657c28f0e.jpg

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: Switched from iPhone & results are...meh

Interestingly I bought an iPhone Xs on Friday after years with Android and I absolutely hated it. I couldn't believe how clunky the UI was and how modern features seem to have been bolted on to an ageing OS. I couldn't create much of the functionality I take for granted on Android. Widgets are just awful on iOS - they appear in a bolt-on pane off the home screen and are nowhere near as configurable as Android. iOS settings are an embarrassment - a huge long list with minimal categorisation and you usually have to go there to change the setting for apps, rather than in the app itself. I returned the Xs for refund on Saturday and I appreciate Android even more now.

I liked my 6s as a secondary phone. Gave it to my child now and gone all in on Android. But for a brand new phone in 2018 to be so old-fashioned and clunky and inflexible as iOS devices are, in really quite mad. And to charge over £1000 is even madder!! Glad you got your money back.

Nnelg77

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
The Pixel 2XL is only my second exposure to Android - my first was the Galaxy S2. Honestly the S2 completely soured me on Android & vowed I never would go back.

I guess I know what I get with the iPhone as far as dependibilty - is the Pixel 2 going to be just as dependable? It seems Android has come a long way since my S2 days.

I’m so on the fence about whether to keep or exchange for the S8 Plus. It’s literally keeping me awake at night and it’s only a phone!!!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
The Pixel 2XL is only my second exposure to Android - my first was the Galaxy S2. Honestly the S2 completely soured me on Android & vowed I never would go back.

I guess I know what I get with the iPhone as far as dependibilty - is the Pixel 2 going to be just as dependable? It seems Android has come a long way since my S2 days.

I’m so on the fence about whether to keep or exchange for the S8 Plus. It’s literally keeping me awake at night and it’s only a phone!!!
If you had a bad experience with Samsung before not sure the s8+ is going to improve that. It is still full of bloat. I think the P2XL is a better phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google's phones have, based on metrics, been one of the most stable phones available.. app crashes, reboots, etc. They've bested iPhones since the iPhone 4S in those areas.

As for hardware reliability, no idea.. I haven't seen any stats. But anecdotally speaking, I've owned... 9 devices in Google's lineup and the only one that hard a HW issue was a Nexus 7 that would not power on out of the box (exchange solved that). Since then, I've owned or been responsible for every phone from the Nexus 5 to the Pixel 2 XL... None of them had any issues.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I too have owned Google phones from the Nexus 5 through my current Pixel 2 XL. I've also owned the Nexus 7 and Nexus 9 tablets. They have all been excellent problem free devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Google's phones have, based on metrics, been one of the most stable phones available.. app crashes, reboots, etc. They've bested iPhones since the iPhone 4S in those areas.

As for hardware reliability, no idea.. I haven't seen any stats. But anecdotally speaking, I've owned... 9 devices in Google's lineup and the only one that hard a HW issue was a Nexus 7 that would not power on out of the box (exchange solved that). Since then, I've owned or been responsible for every phone from the Nexus 5 to the Pixel 2 XL... None of them had any issues.

5x and 6P come to mind

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't think iPhones are all that well made. They use cheap components it seems. My wife gets about 18 months out of them and then the battery is shot, speakers and microphone start acting up or quit working and we have to upgrade. I've never had a phone have issues like that and her last three have. And don't get me started on the OS and UI. Good grief.

Give the Pixel a shot, you won't regret it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I don't think iPhones are all that well made. They use cheap components it seems. My wife gets about 18 months out of them and then the battery is shot, speakers and microphone start acting up or quit working and we have to upgrade. I've never had a phone have issues like that and her last three have. And don't get me started on the OS and UI. Good grief.

Give the Pixel a shot, you won't regret it.

That's one area iPhones dont lack , they are built very well I have older iPhones and I pads that are more then 3 years old ..you just cant customize the OS which I'm not crazy about but they work pretty well for the intended purpose.