Switched from iPhone & results are...meh

Nnelg77

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
So its been 2 full days since I switched from the iPhone 6S to the Pixel 2XL. Honestly, I am not blown away. This is my take so far and pls understand I am not bashing Android but just my overall experience & any assistance and/or suggestions is welcomed. Keep in mind I am using stock everything that came with the phone

1) Ambiant screen – the user can’t change the brightness??? Its so dim I can barely view it.
2) Notifications & unread counts – this is a major issue for me. I cannot believe that you can’t have the number of unread emails…?! Instead a red dot…wtf?! I don’t find notifications smooth.
3) Overall experience is the functionability just feels clunky and not smooth

What am I missing with this phone? Someone please tell me how this is better than the iPhone 8

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
1. The user can adjust the base brightness setting - drag down from the top of the screen (you'll see the Notification shade and some quick settings) and then drag down again and you'll see the brightness slider.
2. If you want unread counts on the various icons on your Home screen you'll have to use a different launcher from the stock one - I'd recommend Nova launcher (and I think it requires a plug-in for the unread counts).
3. Not sure what you mean - this is probably the smoothest Android device I've ever used, but I've never used an iPhone so I can't give you a comparison.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Pull down from the top of the screen twice and you have the brightness slider. I find I never have to touch it the adaptive brightness works fine.

Unread counts you don't need them with Android there more of a nusiance because you have to go into every app to clear them. When you get a new notification it appears at the top of the screen until you clear it so you don't need unread counts. If you really want them there are third party apps.

I have tried many times to go back to iOS yes they make great products but they are so boring restrictive and no innovation. I love how I can download music watch movies drag and drop all from my phone and no need for itunes. The Pixel is equivalent to the iPhone as you will find it is pure Android with no bloatware like Samsung.

The biggest problem for people moving from iOS to Android is that don't give it a chance. Of course it's going to be different like any change takes time. give it a chance don't think it's all to hard and go straight back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
1. The user can adjust the base brightness setting - drag down from the top of the screen (you'll see the Notification shade and some quick settings) and then drag down again and you'll see the brightness slider.
2. If you want unread counts on the various icons on your Home screen you'll have to use a different launcher from the stock one - I'd recommend Nova launcher (and I think it requires a plug-in for the unread counts).
3. Not sure what you mean - this is probably the smoothest Android device I've ever used, but I've never used an iPhone so I can't give you a comparison.

I use both platforms. The iPhone isn't any smoother.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
A buddy of mine has a newer iPhone, with the notch. His stutters from time to time, no more and no less than my Pixel 2XL.
For the notifications, I remember on my old BlackBerry it showed the number of unread emails. Now I'm glad I don't see how many are unread, it just stresses me out! 🙂

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: Switched from iPhone & results are...meh

The beauty of Android is its customisability. The stock apps are functional, as those on ios are. But there are many excellent apps that can replace the google apps if desired. A new launcher, like Action Launcher, nova launcher, smart Launcher changes the user experience. New text apps like Textra, pulse etc, new mail apps , like Nine or Blue Mail. New music apps, and so on. They can all integrate default into the system. Widgets can be mixed with icons. Icons can be changed to look different when used with a new launcher. Flick Launcher is a new launcher that looks a bit like the stock launcher but adds icon packs and coloured docks. I have screen shot Flick launcher for you below. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.universallauncher.universallauncher)

I also recommend installing Simple Gallery as an alternative to google photos app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery
5366fd86c7d6df37ff65045dd2897cbc.jpg
a4541a41c97e5dc2cb8fe1f18f1dade3.jpg
ed81ad4ccbad971815cb2d879d4c0458.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ambient Display doesn't have the ability to adjust the brightness of the banner that it displays. It does, though, adjust to the ambient light level so that it can be seen without being so bright as to use up extra power.

Outside in the day, it's quite dim... But inside, at night, it's pretty bright. You have to realize that it never turns off... And they make some trade offs to make sure it doesn't drain your battery unnecessarily.

Nnelg77

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

The beauty of Android is its customisability. The stock apps are functional, as those on ios are. But there are many excellent apps that can replace the google apps if desired. A new launcher, like Action Launcher, nova launcher, smart Launcher changes the user experience. New text apps like Textra, pulse etc, new mail apps , like Nine or Blue Mail. New music apps, and so on. They can all integrate default into the system. Widgets can be mixed with icons. Icons can be changed to look different when used with a new launcher. Flick Launcher is a new launcher that looks a bit like the stock launcher but adds icon packs and coloured docks. I have screen shot Flick launcher for you below. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.universallauncher.universallauncher)

I also recommend installing Simple Gallery as an alternative to google photos app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180921/5366fd86c7d6df37ff65045dd2897cbc.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180921/a4541a41c97e5dc2cb8fe1f18f1dade3.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180921/ed81ad4ccbad971815cb2d879d4c0458.jpg

But if I am using a non-stock launcher, such as Nova, do I not run the risk of the phone crashing? How reliable are these 3rd party launchers? Also, your icons are amazing - how do I get those?

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
iPhones are about as smooth as the Pixels are. If your Pixel is clunky, that should not be happening.

Customization is definitely the bread and butter for Android - if that is your thing. I personally don't care about it anymore since I am out of that phase but I get it.

I really don't think you should be "blown away" since you are going from one stock experience to another. I think switching to something like a Note 9 would have the potential to be be more "mind blowing" coming from an iPhone.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I suggest giving you pixel somemore time before concluding. And if after a few weeks you still prefer using an iPhone you should just get an iPhone again... every one has different preferences that's why we cant really help you decide.

I myself was a long time apple user, having used the 3gs, 4, 6, and the iPhone 7 but I was unhappy with apple for the longest time and have always admired android phones for their customisability and screen size.
Having made the switch to a note 9, I cant be more satisfied now

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

But if I am using a non-stock launcher, such as Nova, do I not run the risk of the phone crashing? How reliable are these 3rd party launchers? Also, your icons are amazing - how do I get those?

A good third party launcher, such as Nova and Action launcher, is very reliable. They don't cause the phone to crash. If anything, you will get a pop-up that the app itself crashed and a simple reboot fixes that. It is also very rare that those two launchers crash.

mtbmike24

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site

I just read my emails from my notification center and delete it right there if it's nothing important. it clumps all my Gmail together and all my Outlook emails together but keeps the 2 separate.

Most of the time I don't even open the email app because I can read, delete or reply right from notification center as well and it takes me right to the reply screen. Just tap the down arrow button just to the right of the notification and it drops the entire email down to read it right there in notification tray then gives you the option at the bottom to reply or delete or do nothing upon doing nothing it will stay in your notification center and you can swipe it away but why would you do that if your already there? If you delete it deletes the email and it's gone from your inbox.

In Android 9 ambient brightness works better as you manually adjust your brightness in different lighting conditions over time AI is suppose to learn your lighting preference based on the conditions and were you prefer the slider and will learn to auto adjust to your liking over time you can turn this function off and just adjust when you feel like it like others have said by swiping down from the top twice.

Unread emails is a non issue for me because if they are still in your notification tray then guess what they should be unread as they will never disappear unless you make a quick swipe to dismiss if you feel you don't want to read right away then don't read it later in notifications and delete the ones you do read all while never leaving the notification tray. Even then you open the app and all the bold text is unread and light text is read. I use Gmail with the stock launcher by the way.

I also agree Nova launcher is fantastic and I have used it with zero issues but I like Google weather widget and I like the uninstall apps option better with the stock launcher now 9.0 supports dark mode which is the primary reason I went to Nova launcher I'm back on the stock launcher.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Can someone recommend good icon packs that work with Nova? Specifically I love the 3D type ones.
Oh boy. There are hundreds of icon packs for Android. Google "best free icon packs 3D 2018" or variations of those search terms. Changing the look of an Android phone every couple of months is fun.

Look at some of the threads in this forum (or perhaps Samsung forums) with titles like "Show us Your Home Screens" or threads that have posts of screenshots of people's homescreens for ideas.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I agree with some of the other posters here, that I think you should give it more than a couple of days before drawing a conclusion. Android is a very diverse system and, as it's been stated, customization is one of the pillars of the OS. Give it some time and really explore what's available to you and I think you'll be pleased.

anon(10000748)

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I 2nd that as a user of both

They are both really smooth, I just upgraded to the XS Max from the X for my personal phone and it’s oiled up, lubricated and finely tuned compared to the X. I would definitely say it’s smoother so far than the Pixel but the pixel is a fantastic phone and I have literally nothing to complain about from it other than sometimes the tap to wake function doesn’t work.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

But if I am using a non-stock launcher, such as Nova, do I not run the risk of the phone crashing?

Well...a small risk, but when the launcher crashes, usually what happens is it fires up again. It will look like the phone restarted. This is quite rare with more popular launchers like @Kirstein Gourlay mentioned. In fact, I cannot recall the last time Nova crashed on me.

How reliable are these 3rd party launchers?
The ones she mentioned....very.