Pixel 2 XL not fully charging

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a new pixel 2 XL and I'm noticing it rarely charges to 100%. I'm using the charger that came with it, but purchased an Amazon basics 3 meter cable. Anyone else have similar issues? Is it the cable?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased a new pixel 2 XL and I'm noticing it rarely charges to 100%. I'm using the charger that came with it, but purchased an Amazon basics 3 meter cable. Anyone else have similar issues? Is it the cable?
It's not the cable.

It will charge to 100%, but getting all the way there takes extra time.

Pixel 2 XL software deliberately slows down the charging rate as it approaches 100%. The idea is to save the battery from repeated charging cycles completely to 100%. Research has shown that repeated cycles to 100% prematurely wears out the battery. I typically charge my battery until it gets to about 90% and then take it off the charger.

It took me a while to get used to the fact that I wasn't charging to 100%, but the idea must work because I've had my 2 XL for 10 months now, and I've noticed no degradation of the battery.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 2 XL since it was released, I've always charged to 100%, and I too haven't experienced any noticeable battery degradation. I'm quite pleased with how this battery is holding up.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback. I've been trying to change my charging habit and keep it unplugged overnight. So far the battery life is awesome.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not the cable.

Pixel 2 XL software deliberately slows down the charging rate as it approaches 100%. The idea is to save the battery from repeated charging cycles completely to 100%. Research has shown that repeated cycles to 100% prematurely wears out the battery. I typically charge my battery until it gets to about 90% and then take it off the charger.

It took me a while to get used to the fact that I wasn't charging to 100%, but the idea must work because I've had my 2 XL for 10 months now, and I've noticed no degradation of the battery.

Absolutely, it does take longer to charge to 100%. I too felt kind of weird about it but now it's rare that it ever gets that far percentage-wise... And I'm okay with it! Anything between 80-97% (or 90%, even) is great for me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback. I've been trying to change my charging habit and keep it unplugged overnight. So far the battery life is awesome.

I agree - keep it unplugged overnight. Charging software is so much better these days; but keeping it off the charger for extended periods of time is still a good habit to get into. How are you liking your new Pixel 2 XL so far?

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I really like the phone. I'm coming from a Note 5 and an S4 before that. I prefer the stock Android experience and don't miss the Samsung overlay. The performance is great and so is the battery life.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not the cable.

Pixel 2 XL software deliberately slows down the charging rate as it approaches 100%.

Yep... It has a REALLY soft landing. As it gets closer to 100%, it drops the current way way down. This eases the stress on the cell during full charges, which should help battery lifespan. Batteries that are charged to 100% too fast usually die young.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Is that as a result of the update to Android Pie? Or has this pronounced soft landing to 100% always been part of this phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Leo, the problem is miscalibration. If the 100% calibration point is long after the battery has stopped going up in voltage (you can't actually "overcharge" the battery - you'll never get 4.8 Volts, or something, at the terminals), you warm the electrolyte - warm it enough and some of it escapes through the pressure relief valve. (The only other alternative is ... remember the Note 7?)

But unless you need every last bit of energy from the battery, and refuse to carry a power pack, 95% or 100% won't make that much difference. (I charge to 80% - I'm never away from power or a power pack that long.)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm fortunate with my usage pattern and my Pixel 2 XL battery.
Thankfully I've never needed to carry a charger or power bank.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I had started to think this was linked with my phone lagging issue. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Mine goes to 98 percent. I charge every chance i get only cause im alway snear a cable at work and at home so might stop doing that lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463