My son's Pixel 2 XL 64GB is dead. Unresponsive. Totally inert. Didn't drop it. Didn't get it wet.

We took it to the Verizon store and the technician there said he's never seen a completely dead one. Speculation was that the processor failed. We're getting a new one tomorrow under warranty. We opted to pay for overnight shipping instead of waiting 2 or 3 days for the replacement.

So, what's backed up and what isn't? I know that Google Photos has his pictures. But do they backup downloaded images, videos, gif's etc.? I suppose if they make it to Google Photo Gallery they are backed up.

Verizon will restore his text messages. Is there a time limit on the text messages? Say 30 days into the past, or do they go back all the way? Will they restore photos that were texted to him?

I presume any music he had stored on there is gone. What about downloaded documents? Gone?

How about app data? Specifically game data and gaming scores?

Any other info as to what is restoreable and what is lost forever would be appreciated.
    09-24-2018 06:46 PM
    When I get a new phone, after I log in to my Google account, I can depend on my
    Google Account data,
    GMail,
    Google Drive,
    Google Apps,
    Photo Gallery
    and Contacts all being restored.
    I don't play games, so I can't comment on game data and game scores.
    Most everything else I'll have to download all over again.
    09-24-2018 07:02 PM
    I'm guessing Verizon probably has 30 days of messages backed up. Although I'm a Verizon customer, and use the Verizon Message+ application, I don't trust my message history to them - I use SMS Backup & Restore Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ckupRestorePro which takes care of SMS and MMS, including the pictures I've sent and received.

And since I setup as new every time the only thing I rely on Google for is contacts and photos.
    09-25-2018 02:29 AM
    Important! if you set up as "new every time" be sure you're using the same login. If you use a new login you won't have access to your old contacts and photos.

GSDer, I know that you know that. This is just a general information post.
    09-25-2018 10:27 AM
    My son's Pixel 2 XL 64GB is dead. Unresponsive. Totally inert. Didn't drop it. Didn't get it wet.

We took it to the Verizon store and the technician there said he's never seen a completely dead one. Speculation was that the processor failed. We're getting a new one tomorrow under warranty. We opted to pay for overnight shipping instead of waiting 2 or 3 days for the replacement.

So, what's backed up and what isn't? I know that Google Photos has his pictures. But do they backup downloaded images, videos, gif's etc.? I suppose if they make it to Google Photo Gallery they are backed up.

Verizon will restore his text messages. Is there a time limit on the text messages? Say 30 days into the past, or do they go back all the way? Will they restore photos that were texted to him?

I presume any music he had stored on there is gone. What about downloaded documents? Gone?

How about app data? Specifically game data and gaming scores?

Any other info as to what is restoreable and what is lost forever would be appreciated.
    If you install the Verizon messages app it will give you the option to restore 90 days
    09-25-2018 01:17 PM
    I'm guessing Verizon probably has 30 days of messages backed up. Although I'm a Verizon customer, and use the Verizon Message+ application, I don't trust my message history to them - I use SMS Backup & Restore Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ckupRestorePro which takes care of SMS and MMS, including the pictures I've sent and received.

And since I setup as new every time the only thing I rely on Google for is contacts and photos.
    They can restore 90 days with Verizon messages
    09-25-2018 01:18 PM