Does the 2 have the same issues with lag as the 2 XL?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Lag in what sense. The word has been so misused as to no longer mean anything.

It actually means long ping time. That has nothing to do with the phone.

As far as things like the actions of apps, how fast the screen scrolls, things like that, no, I javen't seen a single slowdown or glitch (And I've reflashed the ROM close to a dozen times this month due to an entirely different matter.) It's like I can't make it go slow.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Lag in what sense. The word has been so misused as to no longer mean anything.

It actually means long ping time. That has nothing to do with the phone.

As far as things like the actions of apps, how fast the screen scrolls, things like that, no, I javen't seen a single slowdown or glitch (And I've reflashed the ROM close to a dozen times this month due to an entirely different matter.) It's like I can't make it go slow.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the slowdown, performance issues, etc., that have been documented with the 2XL, either related to the degradation of internals or the update to Pie.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Lag?
What lag?
The only lag I ever see is Internet site lag.
Which of course has nothing to do with my Pixel 2 XL 128. :cool:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. No, I'm not a Samsung troll. I haven't owned a Samsung since the GSII. I like their hardware, but can't afford their prices and not that interested in their software. I prefer a more stock OS, which is why my last three devices have been nexus (GN, N5, N6P). I was just asking a simple question about whether there have been any reports of lag with the 2 like there have been with the 2XL. No reason to get defensive. And replies with anecdotal evidence that your 2XL doesn't lag isn't answering the question.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. No, I'm not a Samsung troll. I haven't owned a Samsung since the GSII. I like their hardware, but can't afford their prices and not that interested in their software. I prefer a more stock OS, which is why my last three devices have been nexus (GN, N5, N6P). I was just asking a simple question about whether there have been any reports of lag with the 2 like there have been with the 2XL. No reason to get defensive. And replies with anecdotal evidence that your 2XL doesn't lag isn't answering the question.

OK. My answer saying I don't see any lag is "anecdotal" and hasn't been scientifically and comparatively measured.

Where have you found your non anecdotal information?

What I'll need to know is what equipment and measurements are used to measure lag. I will need to be measuring only operating system functions having nothing to do with Internet lag. Using these measurements, where will I find comparative measurements of other devices using the same measurement equipment and the same operating system functions?

Last edited:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Let me try to rephrase my question as to not get everyone excited...

I have seen a few reviewers online say, in their opinion, the 2XL has lost some performance. However, I have not seen such comments regarding the 2. This makes me wonder if it is specific to the 2XL or if it also occurs on the 2.
Has anyone experienced, or seen reviews of, downgraded performance on the 2?

I realize that all devices are different, and all device experiences are different. While there may be some people who are unhappy with a certain aspect of their device, others may not have that same experience. I didn't say I wasn't looking for anecdotal evidence, I said I wasn't looking for anecdotal evidence of the 2XL. If I am wanting to know about a 2, how does it help me to give me your information about your 2XL?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My 2 is the same snappy and fast device since the day I got it last November. Everyone's usage is different of course and some devices are overloaded with apps which may or may not affect performance. Mine is kept pretty lean and clean in that regard but I may not be considered the usual type of user. Don't game, etc. Ihave no reason to consider getting rid of it for a 3 or anything else. I think you will be pleased with it. I'm using an unlocked 2 from Google, FWIW. Awesome device, no regrets at all.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I have seen a few reviewers online say, in their opinion, the 2XL has lost some performance. However, I have not seen such comments regarding the 2. This makes me wonder if it is specific to the 2XL or if it also occurs on the 2.

I realize that all devices are different, and all device experiences are different. While there may be some people who are unhappy with a certain aspect of their device, others may not have that same experience. I didn't say I wasn't looking for anecdotal evidence, I said I wasn't looking for anecdotal evidence of the 2XL. If I am wanting to know about a 2, how does it help me to give me your information about your 2XL?

Simple answer to your ambiguous question is, there is no answer. :D

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Aw c'mon, when you state that the Pixel 2 XL has experienced performance degradation, of course it will elicit responses from Pixel 2 XL owners who haven't experienced any noticeable degradation. :)

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Aw c'mon, when you state that the Pixel 2 XL has experienced performance degradation, of course it will elicit responses from Pixel 2 XL owners who haven't experienced any noticeable degradation. :)

So I'll put you down as a "no". Thanks for your reply. I expected more from a trusted member.

Thanks for your reply, cbreze.

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
So I'll put you down as a "no". Thanks for your reply. I expected more from a trusted member.

Thanks for your reply, cbreze.

In fairness, whitenack, I think you might consider whether the problem lies in the way you've formulated your inquiry. You say that you've "seen a few reviewers online say, in their opinion, the 2XL has lost some performance"; but then in posing your question, you ask whether this lag problem "is specific to the 2XL" -- effectively presuming, based on those few opinions you've read, that the Pixel 2 XL does in fact have a lag problem. Having framed the question that way, it should come as no great surprise that some Pixel 2 XL owners would respond by taking issue with your underlying assumption. Maybe you should ask first whether it's true, in the experience of Pixel 2 XL owners who participate here, that those devices suffer from lag. If not, that would seem to obviate your original inquiry.

In any event, I was under the impression that the only difference between the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2 XL is hardware. If so, and the software is identical for both models, I don't understand why one would develop a performance lag and other would not.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I am wanting to know about a 2, how does it help me to give me your information about your 2XL?

While I get what you mean -- others may simply wonder why you are even seeing the lag on the 2 XL in the first place. TBH they should run the same (as in no lag). I find it odd that you see lag on the 2 XL as well.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
straygator, thanks for the reply and for the balanced approach. I assumed everyone was aware of the rumors. I realize what assuming makes me...

Here is what I was referring to.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-2-xl-lag,news-27821.html

https://bgr.com/2018/08/15/pixel-2-xl-slow-performance/

https://bgr.com/2018/08/19/pixel-2-xl-slow-performance-fix-free-hardware-replacements/

And there was a call for scientific testing. Ok...

https://www.gsmarena.com/android_9_pie-review-1802p3.php

The fact that a source from Google has responded and has identified 3 possible causes leads me to believe this isn't just Google-bashing. Granted, it does not seem to be a widespread issue, which is good. However, it is indeed a documented issue.

My question is very simply whether anyone has seen anyone report these kinds of issues with the 2.

Is the screen size and battery the only difference between the two? Is every other piece of hardware exactly the same?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have not experienced any lag, slowdown, or performance degradation whatsoever. I haven't even noticed battery degradation. Very happy camper here. My 2 XL is 10 months old.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
My question is very simply whether anyone has seen anyone report these kinds of issues with the 2.

Is the screen size and battery the only difference between the two? Is every other piece of hardware exactly the same?

For the first part, specifically regarding the Pixel 2, I haven't seen any. That said, the smaller P2 isn't the "headline grabber" the 2 XL is. I personally have no issues with my P2

Yes, the phones are exactly the same, outside of battery and screen size/manufacturer. All other relevant hardware is the the same.

On a sidebar, I wouldn't consider ANYTHING published on BGR as legitimate in all seriousness. They are known for "National Enquirer" type of reporting. Beyond hyperbole and sensationalism, simply put, FUD at it's finest.