Is your phone your only computer?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot has been said about changing consumer habits and the slowing sales of computers today. For many people a cell phone can totally take the place of having a full sized Windows or Apple desktop or laptop machine. Has your cell phone become your only computer?

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
No, it's not even close for me. I definitely spend more time on desktop/laptop than on mobile. Phone definitely plays it's role, but I only use it when I'm away from my Chromebook or desktop.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
For most productivity tasks I use the computer: MS Office suite, Google Docs, photo processing etc.
My phone still plays a role however as I can Bluetooth share between desktop and phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My phone gets the most use. My computer is pretty old and the display isn't very accurate. I'd like to get a more modern one for gaming and photo editing, but it's rather low on the budget list.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I work on a desktop/laptop all day and tend to take care of most things like paying bills and stuff on lunch at work. So I'd probably use a computer more at home if I didn't have that access. That said I still have a laptop at home for when I need a computer.

detmek

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
Hell, no! My phone serves as phone, camera and quick internet browsing. I use my Win 10 PC for regular browsing, music, movies, games, work in Excel and Word, photo and video editing. It is easier and faster to do all that on regular desktop PC. And I do not plan to change that in near future.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I use a Microsoft XP desktop and Surface Pro 3, both connected to nice large monitors since I have rather elderly eyes (!) ... however, I do read a lot of news articles on my Pixel 2, and I absolutely love playing Solitaire on it. I only visit Forums on my SP3.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I've never quite understood how a phone can be the primary device for an adult, tbh. How do you get things done on a phone? Do people write reports and work on spreadsheets on a phone? Watch whole movies and read full novels on a phone?? :confused:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My phone is the device I browse the web and use social media the most on, but that's because it's almost always within arms reach.

I still sit at a desk and use my desktop most every night, and I often use a tablet as well.

Almost everything productive or productivity related I do with a keyboard/mouse and windows 10.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: I'm with those users who sustain..That smart Phones are
mostly for outdoors browsing, reply to emails-Send text
messages, make appointments, bank inquires
using its apps & More tasks online quickly

But still I'd say 60% of productive operations by individuals
and for Big corporations : Are performed through high
Tech computers : Being comfortable on a PC- Desk
won't Stop soon. I use both devices : Thx Gary

*Kudos to gebco for his likeable avatar- Haa! and comment

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never quite understood how a phone can be the primary device for an adult, tbh. How do you get things done on a phone? Do people write reports and work on spreadsheets on a phone? Watch whole movies and read full novels on a phone?? :confused:
You can do most things on a phone now. Mobile banking and bill pay. Order food and groceries. GPS. Gaming. Chances are, yes there's spreadsheets and word processors for reports. As they say, "There's an app for that."

I'll watch a short YouTube video on my phone, but movies I watch on TV. So that doesn't really impact computer user as it is. I wouldn't read a novel on a computer either. A phone/e-reader would be better for that anyway because you can kick back and relax to read it. I also listen to audio books from my phone.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
1 Home Built Desktop - 1 Surface Pro - 1 HP laptop - 1 Pixel 2. Desktop gets the most use. I can see how a phone could cut into the computer use time though. I now use text messages, instead of emails, for tracking notifications.

My problem is the smallness of the Pixel screen/keyboard compared to computer monitor/keyboard. Old eyes and clumbsy fingers like "big".

Great time for technology, many many choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech