October 2018 Update

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! I'll check for it on my break! Thanks for letting us know! Man, it seems like yesterday that we just got an update! I can get used to this. 😊

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
After waiting like 10 days last month and just getting sick of it I finally took the time to learn how to sideload. I don't wait for the OTA anymore.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So far this update isn't good for my Pixel 2 XL. Didn't charge overnight and Android Auto didn't work on my drive in this morning.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not only did I get it, but it's dated 5 October and I got it over night October 1-2! On Verizon service, no less!
Rebooted to finish istall, a little while ago. Just plugged in and charging seem sto be functioning properly.
Normally, after a small system update/security patch, I would go into recovery and clear system cache patition, but I've read that no longer exists after Oreo. Maybe I'll look anyways.

Attachments

• 5857.jpg
    5857.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
After waiting like 10 days last month and just getting sick of it I finally took the time to learn how to sideload. I don't wait for the OTA anymore.

Me too, have been sideloading for months. The October update seems to be getting to the phones quicker than earlier ones.

I've had some issues sideloading, my Pixel 2 and USB ports don't always communicate well. Have tried USB 2 and 3 on 3 different machines and the results is never consistent.

Had issues with the October update, d/l a 2nd file and all went well. There is a big part of me that believes my Pixel 2 is haunted by my ex-wife. It could happen.....

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The Oct 5 security update broke both of my Bluetooth vehicle connections. I had to forget and re-pair both. I hope that this doesn't continue to be an issue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Oct 5 security update broke both of my Bluetooth vehicle connections. I had to forget and re-pair both. I hope that this doesn't continue to be an issue.

That could be normal if changes were made to Bluetooth for auto.
I haven't tested mine except for Bluetooth headphones and Wear OS

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Try restarting and a different cable.

I did the restart didn't work. I don't have an extra cable, using the official one I bought through the Google store. I did try switching to USB Debugging mode in the Developer Options and that worked. I guess I could have tried my home charging cable with the adapter but I really don't want to have to switch in and out of that cable every time I drive somewhere.

Edit:. Thanks Mike D for the suggestions.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, for the heads up!
I finished the update, after getting to work this morning.
My smartwatch is still connected and functioning, but if my car's head unit fails to connect this afternoon, at least I won't be stumped.

ETA, car's heads unit remembered P2XL BT connection, or the phone remembered the car, that is. However, my smartwatch and the car's head unit fell off of the Smart Lock list. Who can know if that was related to the update?

Last edited:

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Seems to be just a couple of quirks with some phones. I didn't have any bluetooth issue connecting to my car just a charging problem which I have a temp fix for (USB Debugging mode).

I am tempted to do a factory reset but it's such a pain lol.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
These fast and regular updates seem to be a double edged sword...... on the one hand I like regular updates to fix bugs and keep my phone secure, on the other I cringe every time I download and install one wondering what it could break.

Without the ability to wipe the cache partition, I feel kinda helpless. How often do these monthly updates cause problems?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12