No USB connections besides charging

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel 2 will not connect to any computers via USB. Also the headphone dongle still doesn't work.

Charging works fine - on chargers and on USB ports.

But the phone will not recognize anything else plugged in & connected to the USB C port. I don't get the USB notification drop down and nothing shows up under connected devices. The phone just starts charging & all USB options are greyed out.

Every once is a while the dongle will at least give me the drop down notification, but you can't do anything with it. It still thinks it's charging only.

I have USB debugging on, and a have Data Transfer set as the default USB preference.

On Pie.

I've tried 3 different laptops and all of their ports, 2 different USB-A to USB-C cables. One of them is definitely a 2.0 which I've read the Pixel requires (they don't like 3.0 usb ports apparently)

Any help would be appreciated

Edit: the below shot is what I see when the dongle actually gives me a notification. Usually everything is grey.

Also, the phone doesn't show up on the laptops at all. Windows 10. If I reboot the phone while connected to the computer, I get a message saying that the USB device malfunctioned.

Attachments

• 15235.jpg
    15235.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 21

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It could be either the cable or the port itself that;s bad. Try a different cable. (All C cables are the same, so borrow one from a friend who has a phone with a C connector.) If a working (on your friend's phone) doesn't work, the port will have to be changed. The phone most likely is still under warranty, so it should be covered - call them.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've already tried 2 cables (1 from an LG V30 and 1 brand new from Office Depot) and 3 different lap tops. Finding another phone with a type C port is a good idea

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you already made sure the phone's port is clean? Blow it out with a can of compressed air, and clean the contacts with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, forgot to mention that in this thread.... I did pull out some gunk from the port, appears to be clean now... No difference.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After physically removing said gunk, did you also clean the contacts? It's possible that gunk might have left some residue on the USB-C port's contacts, interfering with the data transfer function.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe that they're all talking about cleaning the USB C port on the phone. With the phone turned off you could try a toothbrush with some electronic contact cleaner (spray the contact cleaner on the toothbrush, not in the USB C port).
If that doesn't work then Google support is your next stop.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've really been holding off from a factory reset, just hate setting everything back up afterwards....but I might as well do it b/c Google / Verizon are both going to make me try it before moving forward on a replacement, right?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc