I used to be OBSESSED with Nova Launcher - now I prefer the Pixel Launcher

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey, All,

For years and years, Nova was the first thing I installed on any phone... Even my Pixel 2XL.

In the past few weeks, however, I have gone back to the Stock Pixel Launcher and I absolutely love it. Perhaps I used to get so crazy with customizing my Nova with a billion shortcuts and screens that the Pixel Launcher is a nice change.

Don't get me wrong, Nova is still the best third party Launcher ever made, but I find myself liking the Pixel Launcher more at this moment....

The ONLY thing miss is being able to swipe down on the middle of the screen to get notifications.... The fingerprint swipe doesn't quite cut it.

Just sharing!

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow, it sounds like I could have written this exact same post. For the past few days or so I've gone back to the Pixel launcher and I'm actually really liking it. The animations are so much nicer and smoother than Nova, and the recents overview is much nicer than Nova, also, even though I would still prefer the old style vertical method. I mainly switched back over once I read the gesture navigation can't be turned off with the new Pixels, so I figured I better get used to those and the gestures just don't seem to work near as well with third-party launchers. Like you, the only thing I wish I could bring over from Nova is the swipe down on home screen for notifications. I have no idea why Google won't enable this simple and effective gesture. It's baffling to me. I use the Google fabric case and often times I have to try to swipe down on the fingerprint scanner 2 or 3 times before I catch it in the right spot.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You guys made me give the pixel launcher another shot. It's good but ultimately I went back to Nova for a few reasons: 1) I like to hide my notification bar. 2) like you mentioned, swipe down on screen for notifications is really convenient. 3) I feel like the Google search widget is a waste of space...in Nova I have single press on home button set up to open search.
Pixel launcher sure is snappy though!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree. I installed Nova when I got my P2XL last year. I used it for about 4 months and then decided to go to stock launcher and found I really liked it. Battery life improved as well. So I uninstalled Nova.

Now I am using Niagara Launcher which is mainly a text/linear layout and I love it. Very fast. Still in development and the dev is brilliant.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I do wish I could remove the search bar from the home screen as I never use it. I also wish I could hide apps in the app drawer. In a perfect world Google would give us all these options in the stock launcher, but they seem to have no interest in that.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
No Launcher is the perfect one IMO. They all bring some good stuff and some other stuff. I really like the way the pixel launcher has been improved over time tho. Very quick and small battery footprint.
I have about 6 other launchers set up and ready to go whenever the mood strikes. I rotate thru them when I feel like a change or to just try something different. I find myself back on the pixel launcher more and more tho. That dark mode in the news feed is pretty dang sweet as well.
As far as the search bar I find myself forgetting it's there. Being at the bottom helps, just got to remember to use it.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I love nova have always instantly installed and set up on any phone i get. Love the features love the shortucts however went back to pixel launcher just to see dark mode stuff and havnt returned yet.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Nova for many years. Back then stock launchers wouldn't backup/restore - a big plus for me with Nova. Is that still the case? Or if I get a new phone or do a factory reset, will the Pixel launcher restore my layout?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Used launchers with most of my phones. My last two LG phones I used Nova Prime that I bought on sale for 99 cents. Every since I switched to the Pixel 2XL I stopped using launchers.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a fanatic but I like the control over the desktop and dock with Nova and I don't like having a Google search bar. I don't use Google for searches.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm not a fanatic but I like the control over the desktop and dock with Nova and I don't like having a Google search bar. I don't use Google for searches.
Exactly what I miss about Nova, too. I'd love to be able to get rid of names under desktop icons and be rid of those asinine white circles around every frickin' icon that isn't already round (not to mention the search bar, which I still never use). Still. A no-maintenance launcher is sort of its own reward.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just got word of a new launcher netering the mix. Hyperion Launcher. It looks promising going to try it out see how it holds up. Apparently it has almost everything that nova has with some extra bonuses.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. similar story... I used Nova for quite a while and I found myself fussing with settings all the time and it sort of became a burden. I didn't get a phone to play with a launcher, the launcher is just there to get me to my apps.

Plus, Google's been throwing in some important features that only work with the Pixel launcher... I really like the new features of the overview/recents function, it's a lot more powerful than it seems at first and it has more or less replaced my usage of the app drawer completely, I rarely go in there anymore. I can access most everything with a quick flick or two of the thumb.

Only think I wish is they bring back the old Google Now feed... The new one is too restricted. But any day now, that old feed will rear it's head inside Assistant.

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I'm still a Nova Prime user, but I enjoyed reading this. Makes me want to try it out. Does Pixel have gestures? I really like not having to look at my phone to open any number of everyday apps (podcasts, audible, notifications, frequent apps/app searcher, maps, etc...). But I can see enjoy something different for a change.

Any cool features often over-looked?

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
You guys made me give the pixel launcher another shot. It's good but ultimately I went back to Nova for a few reasons: 1) I like to hide my notification bar. 2) like you mentioned, swipe down on screen for notifications is really convenient. 3) I feel like the Google search widget is a waste of space...in Nova I have single press on home button set up to open search.
Pixel launcher sure is snappy though!

1) you can't hide the notification bar? Man. That thing is so ugly. I cannot stand the notification bar. Is there no way make that thing show less?
3) does it force you to keep the Google search widget?

Man... I am really kind of let down if this is so. I always assumed getting a Pixel, there would be more customization. I am starting to see that more and more, Pixel (read Google) has some kind of apple-y ways about it. Not that bad, but still, far more controlling than I had imagined.

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
Yeah.. similar story... I used Nova for quite a while and I found myself fussing with settings all the time and it sort of became a burden. I didn't get a phone to play with a launcher, the launcher is just there to get me to my apps.

Plus, Google's been throwing in some important features that only work with the Pixel launcher... I really like the new features of the overview/recents function, it's a lot more powerful than it seems at first and it has more or less replaced my usage of the app drawer completely, I rarely go in there anymore. I can access most everything with a quick flick or two of the thumb.

Only think I wish is they bring back the old Google Now feed... The new one is too restricted. But any day now, that old feed will rear it's head inside Assistant.

I never use the app drawer on my Nova. I always use the frequently used deal.

I guess I am still in the "I like to play with my launcher" stage. I tell my kids that it's my version of Minecraft. Lol

That said, I am kind of getting to the bottom of things I can do w it so going to the Pixel for a while might be. Anice change.

Man, this thread has me going back and forth. Lol. #fwp

Thanks for all of the reviews guys. This has been a fun thread to read.

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
Exactly what I miss about Nova, too. I'd love to be able to get rid of names under desktop icons and be rid of those asinine white circles around every frickin' icon that isn't already round (not to mention the search bar, which I still never use). Still. A no-maintenance launcher is sort of its own reward.

What???? You can't get rid of the app names using Pixel?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze