Problems with USB-C

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having problems with the USB-C connection?

My charging cords seem to fall out very easily lately, connecting the phone to my laptop I had to make sure not to touch the phone or I lose the connection (using the short cable the phone came with).
Don't think I should be having this problem, the phone is only 6 months old.

Wonder what my options are going to be to get this repaired?

<< EDIT >>
(Talking about my Pixel 2 XL)

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
That's very strange. Checked our USB-C products and none are loose. What device is loose?
Anyone else having problems with the USB-C connection?

My charging cords seem to fall out very easily lately, connecting the phone to my laptop I had to make sure not to touch the phone or I lose the connection (using the short cable the phone came with).
Don't think I should be having this problem, the phone is only 6 months old.

Wonder what my options are going to be to get this repaired?

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Anything I plug into the bottom of the phone, the factory charger, the factory short cord for plugging it into you laptop. Seems like the USB-C port of the phone is getting worn out already.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's how it sounds. Time to contact Google Support for a replacement.
The USB-C port on my Pixel 2 XL (purchased in December) still seems to be holding up fine.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Sounds like your charging port is shot ... best contact Google Support ... 6 months is an awfully short amount of time for that amount of wear.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just received a replacement P2 thru Verizon due to a bad USB C port. The phone would charge but the port wouldn't do anything else - no data connections, no sound output, etc.

jlebouton

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
You most likely have some dirt or lint stuck in the bottom. I had this issue. Use a needle or pick to pull out the debris from the bottom of the port.

Devenchi

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Pocket lint....trust me... I cleaned mine with a plastic tooth pick and cables are working and staying in perfectly.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone having this problem - the C doesn't go in like a microUSB connector - there's a "click". You have to push it in until you feel that - don't stop at the first feel of resistance, If you do, it will keep falling out.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Pocket lint....trust me... I cleaned mine with a plastic tooth pick and cables are working and staying in perfectly.

Thanks, I'll check that in the morning, will start by blowing it out with canned air.
Could be the problem, tend to keep in in the front pocket of my jeans, used to put my 6P in my back pocket till I saw the bend in it. Are 2 XL's bending too?

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll check that in the morning, will start by blowing it out with canned air.
Could be the problem, tend to keep in in the front pocket of my jeans, used to put my 6P in my back pocket till I saw the bend in it. Are 2 XL's bending too?
I carry mine in my pocket and can report no bending. The P2XL is a major upgrade in quality from the old 6P.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Be carful using canned air. Those parts aren't designed to withstand higher pressure, and you just might wedge any gunk further in. A plastic toothpick would work... Wish there was a mini q-tip... That in a little isopropyl would clean it up nicely.

Does it feel loose? Or does it feel like it's just not making a solid connection?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I carry mine in my pocket and can report no bending. The P2XL is a major upgrade in quality from the old 6P.
The 6P's issue wasn't really a quality problem, it was a design problem. There was virtually no support in the interior between the battery and the components at the top, making that a natural bend point. So the exterior frame on either side had to carry all the stress. And the area of peak stress on the right side happened to be right where they punched out the hole for the volume rocker... So all that stress was supported by two thin strips of aluminum.

Now, here is where another poor design choice contributed. To probably meet weight, size and battery capacity targets, Huawei choose to go with a battery that had a very high voltage limit; 4.4v. This allowed for a capacity of 3450mah in a smaller pack size. The problem there is that 4.4v is also right at the edge of where LiPO will handle... This greatly increased charge related stress on the battery, which drastically reduced the life of the cell (sound familiar?).

A tendency to bend, and a battery that wore out extremely fast are the two biggest problems with the 6P... And both were essentially caused by the same design decisions.

(Sorry for the off topic thread jack)

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks LeoRex, funny you mention the 6P battery, I just had it changed when I left the phone on the roof of the car, never to be seen again! :(

As for my Pixxel, it wsn:t very dirty in the port, cleaned it out and the cords still seem loose when plugged in. Guess I'm screwed. Got it from my cell company, will contact them and find out what I need to do to get it repaired.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick follow up, everyone that said the problem was from pocket lint in the post were correct.
Took it to a shop, he said it didn't look like it but there was lint in there that even he didn't see till he started poking around with a dental pick.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick follow up, everyone that said the problem was from pocket lint in the post were correct.
Took it to a shop, he said it didn't look like it but there was lint in there that even he didn't see till he started poking around with a dental pick.

It happens to charging ports and earbud ports.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Same happened here. I thought I had cleaned it out and was still having the same issues as you but then I tried again but with a safety pin (phone off of course) and turned it there was A LOT more lint stuck in the corners. Cleaned that out and voila! Next thing I did was order usb-c dust plugs that I keep in the port when I'm not charging.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Next thing I did was order usb-c dust plugs that I keep in the port when I'm not charging.
That's a great idea! Once you get them let us know if you're happy with the quality and fit and include the link to what you got.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's a great idea! Once you get them let us know if you're happy with the quality and fit and include the link to what you got.
I ordered these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071L12FX5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tWcbCbY2FM9JB

You can get ones that have metal pieces but I was just going for a simple cover. I only needed one but it was completely not cost effective looking for single piece options... Lol. I just gave extras to some co-workers with Pixels and S9s. They fit great but can be a little bit of a pain to remove if you have a case. I only remove them when I charge on my night stand and there's usually a toothpick nearby which makes it a lot easier. Lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma